Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:09:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocksize needs to be increased now.  (Read 25071 times)
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 11:55:57 PM

I think Ver has mentioned he doesn't mind if bitcoin splits into two chains. He has an article on coindesk or his own site (bitcoin.com)

The market will decide. The miners. The users. The nodes.

This usually means all the big players, the big exchanges, the big payment processors, and all the online web wallets.

One thing I know, if the price goes down, good time to buy cheap coins on your choice of fork. Also the fork will cause two blockchains to be maintained so you could have double your coins for a short term.

Ok that makes sense. If he does not mind and he wants to make the market, miners, users and node maintainers decide then he should not criticize anybody if Bitcoin Unlimited or whatever fork he supports is discarded by the majority. He can campaign for his fork and try to take the power of development away from the core developers but first he should show that the developers of Bitcoin Unlimited is very competent.

Are the developers of Bitcoin Unlimited competent?

Comments like that give me a headache, a flippant statement about not caring if Bitcoin splits into two chains... while investing heavily in Ethereum and Monero leave me completely disillusioned about Ver tbh.. All I have heard come from him is what is starting to feel like concern trolling. Sad that we got here, would like to see all of it stop.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 05, 2016, 03:22:12 AM

Well, ... don't know if I'm talking out of nowhere or what, but I think Monero is having problems, and Ethereum ... now has two chains. He is just another user of bitcoin. If I had the money I might have invested in some altcoin too, I just wouldn't be vocal about it. Is he the Ether Jesus and Monero Jesus now too? Last I read, Jesus got nailed to a cross, but came back after 3 days.

I'm content as a normal "small" user of bitcoin to leave the blocksize at 1 MB right now. I'll let the core devs figure out a solution, we are not in a hurry and you can (and should) pay the relatively small tx fees. It's only big if you have lots of tiny transactions that need to be combined, but as I mentioned earlier, I had 3 large transactions (about 60 kb each) with about 200~300 inputs, and paid only 0.001 (which is the "standard" maximum fee, but you can override this) and they got confirmed rather quickly.

vlight

Activity: 656
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 08:25:29 PM

It can get frustrating when people have to pay $0.2 worth tx fee and still wait for like 1.5 hour to get a single BTC confirmation. This thing needs to be fixed asap.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2016, 08:33:14 PM

It can get frustrating when people have to pay $0.2 worth tx fee and still wait for like 1.5 hour to get a single BTC confirmation. This thing needs to be fixed asap.
What are you talking about? How about you stop making ridiculously big transactions and then blaming Bitcoin for having to pay a high fee?

The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 100 satoshis/byte, shown in green at the top.
For the median transaction size of 226 bytes, this results in a fee of 22,600 satoshis (0.12$).
Which is actually unusually high. I was expecting 60satoshis/byte when I started writing this post.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6647

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2016, 08:39:22 PM

Which is actually unusually high. I was expecting 60satoshis/byte when I started writing this post.
Potential (pretty much is) spam attack underway: http://statoshi.info/dashboard/db/transactions

underhood

Activity: 124
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 08:45:47 PM

Potential (pretty much is) spam attack underway: http://statoshi.info/dashboard/db/transactions
That would be also reason for my transaction being stuck (in another thread about CEX.io, right now stuck over 6 hours) :/
From the graph you mention it seems like real "traffic jam" and what is more scary is it is getting bigger.
Would be interesting to see similar graph with avg/median transaction size as to have insight if increase is of real transactions or "dust"
vlight

Activity: 656
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 10:17:15 PM

What are you talking about? How about you stop making ridiculously big transactions and then blaming Bitcoin for having to pay a high fee?

I'm fine with paying higher fee. In fact i have it set high for the purpose that the tx will be confirmed fast. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. BTC txs are getting more and more expensive.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 10:38:00 PM

I'm fine with paying higher fee. In fact i have it set high for the purpose that the tx will be confirmed fast. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. BTC txs are getting more and more expensive.

If you had it high, it would confirm.

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2016, 10:57:30 PM

A modest amount of people keep claiming this, yet I don't see anything backing it up. Surely it is more expensive than it previously was (as you could even get zero-fee TXs to confirm), however it isn't getting "more and more expensive" (sounds like a generic statement that is used in political campaigns, where we're talking about non-marginal increases). I have not noticed any significant change in my transactions (fee-wise).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Cryptology (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 07:07:12 AM

48K transactions (25MB) in the backlog as of this post. Never seen it get so bad.

Bitcoin is becoming useless as money.

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 07:08:39 AM

48K transactions (25MB) in the backlog as of this post. Never seen it get so bad.

What's your point? This is just the number of unconfirmed TXs on blockchain.info's node. My mempool is around 450 MB and ~60k unconfirmed transactions (at the time of writing this post). Someone turned up the spam today.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Cryptology (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 07:16:34 AM

Someone turned up the spam today.

Yeah. Some philanthropist making contributions to miners welfare.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 07:17:48 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2016, 07:49:41 AM by Lauda

Yeah. Some philanthropist making contributions to miners welfare.
Spam up network -> complain about unconfirmed TXs -> blame Core -> blame Blockstream and so on. As you can see, a ton of posts suddenly appear on r/btc as soon as the mempool spikes. There's just a lot of ad hominem in there, supported by Ver of course.

Small bonus: 0.13.1 release is imminent, and is likely going to happen tomorrow.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Cryptology (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 07:57:05 AM

Small bonus: 0.13.1 release is imminent, and is likely going to happen tomorrow.

This is good news indeed.
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 09:10:53 AM

What's your point? This is just the number of unconfirmed TXs on blockchain.info's node. My mempool is around 450 MB and ~60k unconfirmed transactions (at the time of writing this post). Someone turned up the spam today.

Sorry - why do you say 'spam' - how do you know ?

Why do you say 'someone' -  how do you know?

From you as a mod I'd expect a bit more quality here ...

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 09:16:28 AM

If you had it high, it would confirm.

A.K.A. Pay to win.
I dislike this model for bitcoin, orders of magnitude than than I do for games.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 09:17:04 AM

You can analyze the types of transactions, included fees and whatnot yourself.

Why do you say 'someone' -  how do you know?
That's not your concern.

That is irrelevant and a fallacy.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 09:26:21 AM

You can analyze the types of transactions, included fees and whatnot yourself.

Why do you say 'someone' -  how do you know?
That's not your concern.

That is irrelevant and a fallacy.

Thanks for answering on that.

You say 'spam' - > you or others (link?)  need to prove not me .

Same on 'someone' - have you indacation of a single one or a single Group spamming on purpose (that would imply your posting) ? - Clear that you do not Need to say a Name.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 09:37:08 AM

Yeah I have done a couple of bitcoin transactions last week and I have never seen the network in such a bad shape. Waiting up to 12 hours to get one confirmation. Pretty sad state of affairs.
It was worse during the 2015 spam attack IIRC.

You say 'spam' - > you or others (link?)  need to prove not me .
No, not really. How about you prove that they aren't spam? 30k unconfirmed transactions in the 1-10 satoshis/byte range says a lot.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 11:22:29 AM

No, not really. How about you prove that they aren't spam? 30k unconfirmed transactions in the 1-10 satoshis/byte range says a lot.

Sorry I can't. I have no clear definition / qualifier to detect spam and separate from good txs.

All I know is that this type of definition / qualifier is constant over time.

Why do we have so much spam shouting just starting last few months ?

If we can identify a 'someone' or a group started this would really help here.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: