Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:22:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do your Christmas shopping at businesses that dont convert bitcoin to fiat  (Read 2601 times)
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 09:18:37 AM

There needs to be more encouragement for shops to keep bitcoin.  There are a few businesses that keep their BTC as BTC and we should be encouraging that.  Not using companies that are just using the bitcoin for buzz and cashing in on all of us bitcoin consumers. 

There should be a list online of all the businesses that dont convert their bitcoins into fiat. Then we could as consumers make that choice.

Do you seriously expect regular merchants to hold a currency that is so volatile as Bitcoin? Think again, the answer is no.

What will you do as store when you sell for example a tv for $800 in Bitcoin and hold the coins, and a day later the coins are worth $750 and another day later the value dropped to $700??? You can say, let them just hold the coins and wait till the value has recovered. But it doesn't work like that.

In their system it says a tv has been sold for $800, but the real value of that transaction is now only $700. It means a direct loss of $100 for them. Don't forget that they also have to pay tax over the $800 sale, while their coins are only worth $700  Wink
stoat (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 01:39:44 PM

So what you are saying is that these stores do not care about BTC they just want fiat.  So why do they bother accepting bitcoin in the first place if not just to increase their market share and hype at the expense of the bitcoin Community.

In the example you gave, you assume the company only sells things for btc.  But most real companies do 99% of their commerce in fiat. Do you think that the share of their takings in btc is so significant that they have to liquidate completely to stay in business.  This is not a realistic way of looking at things.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 05:10:48 PM

There needs to be more encouragement for shops to keep bitcoin.  There are a few businesses that keep their BTC as BTC and we should be encouraging that.  Not using companies that are just using the bitcoin for buzz and cashing in on all of us bitcoin consumers. 

There should be a list online of all the businesses that dont convert their bitcoins into fiat. Then we could as consumers make that choice.

What does it mean this? First of all I want to buy something that satisfy me and not bitcoin. Bitcoin is important but not in such kind. Bitcoin cannot condition my life in this way. I am not addicted by bitcoin to choose as a gift for my wife something that satisfy bitcoin but not my wife. If my wife want something that can be bought only in a store which not only don't accept bitcoin but even can hate it, me, for sure, will buy in that store that thing that satisfy my wife. Bitcoin cannot be and cannot be treated like a dictator. Such conception is extremely wrong and make only damage to it. It can and must be accepted only with the free will of everyone who want to use it. Otherwise no one will accept and use it for a long time (even from them who are using it already).

These behaviors are extremely dangerous for the bitcoin and never must be used or accepted from everyone who want that bitcoin have a brilliant future.
MaritiJames3

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 07:26:25 PM

I don't think this will make a difference. Smaller merchants might do this but others still need to convert to fiat. I think this could happen if more people and shops would accept bitcoin.
stoat (OP)

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 11:05:14 AM

What does it mean this? First of all I want to buy something that satisfy me and not bitcoin. Bitcoin is important but not in such kind. Bitcoin cannot condition my life in this way. I am not addicted by bitcoin to choose as a gift for my wife something that satisfy bitcoin but not my wife. If my wife want something that can be bought only in a store which not only don't accept bitcoin but even can hate it, me, for sure, will buy in that store that thing that satisfy my wife. Bitcoin cannot be and cannot be treated like a dictator. Such conception is extremely wrong and make only damage to it. It can and must be accepted only with the free will of everyone who want to use it. Otherwise no one will accept and use it for a long time (even from them who are using it already).

These behaviors are extremely dangerous for the bitcoin and never must be used or accepted from everyone who want that bitcoin have a brilliant future.

Whats wrong with having a list of businesses that do not convert to fiat and allowing consumers to make their own decision? Nothing as far as i can see.

<-- Click here!
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 12:41:58 PM

There needs to be more encouragement for shops to keep bitcoin.  There are a few businesses that keep their BTC as BTC and we should be encouraging that.  Not using companies that are just using the bitcoin for buzz and cashing in on all of us bitcoin consumers.  

Whats wrong with having a list of businesses that do not convert to fiat and allowing consumers to make their own decision? Nothing as far as i can see.

The wrong is in blacklisting that merchants who don't use bitcoin. The wrong is to think that in this way make good to bitcoin. All both can be intended by the words and thoughts expressed in the man post. The wrong is to make hysterical calls to favorite these merchants who keep bitcoin and don't change it (the most stupid things I have heard in my life about bitcoin). The wrong is to make hysterical calls to not buy at businesses who accept bitcoin and then change it in fiat money (another from the most stupid things I have heard in my life about bitcoin).

But the most stupid of all the above is to read the full main post because is a totally bullshit. Have nothing to do everything is write there with the making good to bitcoin.
bearex

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 12:57:39 PM

It is hard to find such businesses, because they cannot risk the loss if the bitcoin price drops.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 01:00:27 PM

Honestly I don't care if service I am using converts bitcoin to FIAT or not. The one thing I care for is direct bitcoin acceptance if that requirements is met then I am fine.
I hate the idea of imposing on merchants any rules, they can do whatever they want with their money: convert, invest or hold.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 04:00:28 PM

Honestly I don't care if service I am using converts bitcoin to FIAT or not. The one thing I care for is direct bitcoin acceptance if that requirements is met then I am fine.
I hate the idea of imposing on merchants any rules, they can do whatever they want with their money: convert, invest or hold.

Exactly and this type of attitude towards businesses who convert bitcoins to fiat will only push people away, let the business owners decide how they want to run their business, not everyone understand or is familiar with safe keeping and/or using bitcoins, which is why they use services like Bitpay which does the job for them. If Amazon decides to accept Bitcoin tomorrow by using a similar service like Bitpay, would you expect people to not use Amazon?

People who use bitcoin as remittance services, also converts them to fiat, even miners sell bitcoins to cover for their expenses, it's a currency, everyone is free to sell/buy it, more businesses accepting it, increases the trade and it ultimately helps bitcoin become more popular.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 12:14:54 PM

Anyone knows any good vendors that offer more than 15% off of the price if paid by bitcoins on checkout?

crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 07:40:29 AM

Block halving and more and more public interest will foster BTC acceptance. Doesnt matter if people exchange or do not exchange BTC for FIAT cause even increased liquidity s good.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
stoat (OP)

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 09:54:06 AM

There needs to be more encouragement for shops to keep bitcoin.  There are a few businesses that keep their BTC as BTC and we should be encouraging that.  Not using companies that are just using the bitcoin for buzz and cashing in on all of us bitcoin consumers.  

The wrong is in blacklisting that merchants who don't use bitcoin. The wrong is to think that in this way make good to bitcoin. All both can be intended by the words and thoughts expressed in the man post. The wrong is to make hysterical calls to favorite these merchants who keep bitcoin and don't change it (the most stupid things I have heard in my life about bitcoin). The wrong is to make hysterical calls to not buy at businesses who accept bitcoin and then change it in fiat money (another from the most stupid things I have heard in my life about bitcoin).

But the most stupid of all the above is to read the full main post because is a totally bullshit. Have nothing to do everything is write there with the making good to bitcoin.

But these businesses do not help bitcoin. They hurt it.  They merely increase the bank balances of payment processing companies.  We need bitcoin to properly enter the economy. That means businesses holding and spending bitcoins not just consumers. 

<-- Click here!
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 01:38:23 PM

But these businesses do not help bitcoin. They hurt it.  They merely increase the bank balances of payment processing companies.  We need bitcoin to properly enter the economy. That means businesses holding and spending bitcoins not just consumers. 

you cant dictate shop what to do with their money... they have to pay stuff too. if ppl want to help bitcoin they should buy bitcoin as soon as they spend their bitcoin.
i once make a poll about it and turn out  most ppl choose not to buy btc as soon as they spend it instead they wait  for price to drop before buy back.

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Magnr

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 04:09:49 PM

Merchants must to preserve their liquidity and pay for expenses so they will mostly convert coins for fiat and i dont see anything wrong with that. If ppl buy same amount of coins they spent, Bitcoin value is not touched by merchants dump. Expecting from merchants to hold all coins is bit to much.

I'd have to agree with croato, as a business you always have to watch your cashflow. It would be a disaster if a business who is a trader suffers excessive losses to their profits due to FX rate changes. Their core business ultimately might not be directly related to bitcoins, so exposing yourself to FX risk might not be the best thing to do.
BowYang

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 09:46:10 PM

Almost impossible, because nearly all do. Simply because they cant afford the price fluctuation.
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 01:52:25 AM

Tell that to bitpay. They earn the 1% fee, and encourage people to accept bitcoin without holding. If many people use bitpay, bitcoin would become another PayPal - accept worse. I personally hate bitpay, they're encouraging people to take bitcoin the wrong way. It's not a currency to be instantly converted, it's an asset to appreciate in value.
michinzx

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:17:51 AM

Do you seriously expect regular merchants to hold a currency that is so volatile as Bitcoin? Think again, the answer is no.

What will you do as store when you sell for example a tv for $800 in Bitcoin and hold the coins, and a day later the coins are worth $750 and another day later the value dropped to $700??? You can say, let them just hold the coins and wait till the value has recovered. But it doesn't work like that.

In their system it says a tv has been sold for $800, but the real value of that transaction is now only $700. It means a direct loss of $100 for them. Don't forget that they also have to pay tax over the $800 sale, while their coins are only worth $700  Wink
most big merchants will convert to fiat to cover their expenses for this very reason, but some merchants that are more familiar with bitcoin themselves might opt to keep part or the whole of their revenue in bitcoin. this might be true if their suppliers accept a flat bitcoin rate, but that's most likely not the case. if adoption becomes more widespread, maybe.
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 08:34:19 AM

I don't think this will make a difference. Smaller merchants might do this but others still need to convert to fiat. I think this could happen if more people and shops would accept bitcoin.
Yeah you are right Still apart from the some online shops and big corportates Other small merchants and groceries not accepting the Bitcoin for trading or any business commitment. I think all will accept soon bitcoin awareness reach all the places. then We will be fine bitcoin without fiats.
Newcoins2020

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 11:46:44 AM

Because most merchants still have to pay fees in fiat. They probably still pay their employees with fiat. Bitcoin isn't accepted everywhere so I could understand why they would exchange the bitcoins that they earn.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 09:36:55 AM

Almost impossible, because nearly all do. Simply because they cant afford the price fluctuation.

well now the bitcoin value is increasing, so it would be stupid to dump, i think they can afford to hold, if they see an increase

the average increase is what matter not the random p&d
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: