Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:59:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: us fiscal cliff: what is it?  (Read 3678 times)
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:54:13 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2012, 03:14:28 PM by Gatorhex

It's best explained in pictures,

what happened when USA couldn't pay it's bills last time?

1971 Nixon closed the gold window and the Bretton Woods (gold backed) dollar was dead and replaced with a new fiat debt backed dollar...

Now imagine paying your mortgage at 10-19% interest rate in the new $Amero

Backed with the hard assets of Canada's (lumber/tar oil), Mexico's (silver/gold) and USA's (corn/wheat) Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 03:04:00 PM

The term "fiscal cliff" is PR for "eventual result of the massive failures that have been fiscal and foreign policy for the past decades".

The hosts are trying very hard to keep the party going, as someone said earlier, it takes a lot stronger of a kick to get that can just a little further each time. We are getting there, the evidence exists clearly. Consider just the past five years and the massive acceleration of cash influx out of thin air, the bailouts, the stimulus, the tarp, . . . .These are indications that "it" is coming. There will be a massive devaluation, a "new dollar", or an "international dollar" would be my speculation. The dollar is spent, it lives as a shadow that lingers on only due to former trust and value.

BTC Long.
bonker

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 07:03:55 PM

It's best explained in pictures,

what happened when USA couldn't pay it's bills last time?

1971 Nixon closed the gold window and the Bretton Woods (gold backed) dollar was dead and replaced with a new fiat debt backed dollar...

Now imagine paying your mortgage at 10-19% interest rate in the new $Amero

Backed with the hard assets of Canada's (lumber/tar oil), Mexico's (silver/gold) and USA's (corn/wheat) Grin

I remember people talking about the Amero back in '09. All my friends thought I was bonkers.

As to the "Fiscal Cliff", here's the real deal. I picked up this information from some guy in a pub:
The 21-12-12 Mayan apocalypse date signified the start of the Biblical 7 year Tribulation period. The gun control
business and the fiscal cliff are the heralding events. Bitcoins are a nice hedge in this scenario

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:38:53 AM

Bitcoins are a nice hedge in this scenario

i.e. "mark of the beast"

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
thefiniteidea

Activity: 509
Merit: 564

"In Us We Trust"

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 11:05:17 PM

can someone explain it in simple terms, holding back on the paranoia a little.

what is it?
what is it going to accomplish for the united states?
why?

It's when the US government sh*ts out a titanium coin they deem is "worth" 1 trillion dollars so that we can pay our debts and spend more money...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 11:32:16 PM

what is it?
why?

It's when the US government sh*ts out a titanium coin they deem is "worth" 1 trillion dollars so that we can pay our debts and spend more money...

Nah, that is a proposed reaction to the debt limit crisis.  It has nothing to do with "the Fiscal Cliff".  Two separate political issues.  "The Fiscal Cliff" was a specific name chosen for a specific event.  Trying to apply it as a name to every fiscal event you disagree with doesn't make it so.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 01:13:57 AM

The hilarious thing is that for years, tons of blogs and commentators have been using terms very much like "fiscal cliff" to mean the whole stupid debt/entitlement situation that we've gotten ourselves into over the last 20/50/100 years.  I don't feel like digging through archives tonight, but I'd be totally amazed if there weren't thousands of uses of that exact phrase to be found in old posts from the last 5-10 years.

When I started hearing the term from ordinary folks, I nearly cried with joy, thinking that the idea had finally crept into mainstream consciousness.

Nope.  Just like "tea party", the media took a term in common internet usage and made it into something totally different overnight.  Fuck you, media!

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 01:37:54 AM

. . . the media took a term in common internet usage and made it into something totally different overnight.  Fuck you, media!
Yep.  But that is what we are stuck with now.  If someone is asking about "The Fiscal Cliff", and they don't clarify what they mean, you can either get clarification, or assume that they are talking about the particular fiscal cliff that the media hyped up towards the end of 2012.
thefiniteidea

Activity: 509
Merit: 564

"In Us We Trust"

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 01:52:48 AM

what is it?
why?

Nah, that is a proposed reaction to the debt limit crisis.  It has nothing to do with "the Fiscal Cliff".  Two separate political issues.  "The Fiscal Cliff" was a specific name chosen for a specific event.  Trying to apply it as a name to every fiscal event you disagree with doesn't make it so.

Yeah I know but this was the closest related thread I could find without being annoying and starting a new one. I can't give it THAT much importance :-P
Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 07:27:46 AM

So what happened?

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 10:03:35 PM

So what happened?

The can was kicked down the road. 

For the average person it means an increase in (Social Security) payroll tax of 2%.  It's technically not an increase since all that was done was the temporary decrease was not renewed for another year but either way, workers will be paying more taxes.

Long-term it might mean another downgrade for US debt if congress isn't able to come to a long-term agreement. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 07:39:24 AM

I wish I could see some actual math reasons on why politicians are so damn scared of paying off their debt but to me it seems like the only reasoning they have for not paying off their debts is ideological neo-keynesian bullshit where they want to keep inflation going as much as possible to keep the never ending lending up from what I know anyway.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:13:45 PM

I wish I could see some actual math reasons on why politicians are so damn scared of paying off their debt but to me it seems like the only reasoning they have for not paying off their debts is ideological neo-keynesian bullshit where they want to keep inflation going as much as possible to keep the never ending lending up from what I know anyway.

Well...  If you are interested in a serious understanding of how it works today, google Steve Keen and read a bunch of his blog posts, lectures and papers.  The important words to be looking for are "credit impulse".

Short version:

Investment causes production causes consumption.  It can be no other way, because eating an apple can never happen before the apple tree grows, and the tree can never grow before it is planted.  In the same way, a computer came from a factory, and the factory had to be built.  But, under keynesianism, we've shifted the way we do our accounting so that consumption is primary.  GDP, for example, is a measure of consumption (spending), rather than a measure of production or investment.  So, when spending slows, all of our accounting shows that the end of the world is coming.  When consumer spending slows, the government must step in to prevent the end of the world.  And governments don't have assets, they borrow.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:07:28 PM

. . . Investment causes production causes consumption.  It can be no other way, because eating an apple can never happen before the apple tree grows, and the tree can never grow before it is planted . . .
The other way to look at that is that nobody will bother planting an apple tree, and collecting the apples if other people aren't going to eat them.  The profit motive drives the land owner to plant an orchard, and without expected consumption he wouldn't bother.

. . . In the same way, a computer came from a factory, and the factory had to be built . . .
In the same way, the computer manufacturer builds additional factories only when the rate of consumption exceeds his current factories' rate of production.

So which is the driver, consumption or investment?

. . . When consumer spending slows, the government must step in to prevent the end of the world.  And governments don't have assets, they borrow.
If this is the reason behind borrowing, then why would they continue to borrow in times when consumer spending is growing?  Seem like there must be more to it than this.
gabbergabe

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 02:28:16 PM

Great topic, seriously!

But you asked and you have recieved alot of answers and opinions which I think is good because different points of view and the fact are much easier to paint your on picture of whats really going on.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 03:11:36 PM

. . . When consumer spending slows, the government must step in to prevent the end of the world.  And governments don't have assets, they borrow.
If this is the reason behind borrowing, then why would they continue to borrow in times when consumer spending is growing?  Seem like there must be more to it than this.

Because spending free money is addictive.  If you could get fame, power and women by spending other people's money, would you stop doing it?

gabbergabe

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 04:59:15 AM

Because spending free money is addictive.  If you could get fame, power and women by spending other people's money, would you stop doing it?

Your referring to those who paid their  absurd salarys with the bailout money right?
gabbergabe

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2013, 09:21:23 AM

How Much U.S. Debt Does China Own?

http://bonds.about.com/od/bondinvestingstrategies/a/Chinadebt.htm
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 03:02:29 PM

about one and a half Obamacoins.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 03:34:10 PM

You've got an odd way of rounding:

China, which owns an estimated $1.16 trillion in U.S. Treasuries, is the number-one investor among foreign governments, according to the September 2012 figures released by the U.S. Treasury. This amounts to over 21% of the U.S. debt held overseas and more than 7% of the United States’ total debt load.
If we assume that when you say Obamacoin, you mean $1 trillion, then I could see rounding the value to any of the following:
About one Obamacoin.
About one and a fifth Obamacoins.
About one and a quarter Obamacoins.

But certainly the number is closer to one than one and a half.

According to the article it's about 7% of the U.S. Debt, and most analysts expect Japan to surpass China in 2013.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: