Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:26:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone use multi-sender transacations?  (Read 735 times)
Murphant (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:15:33 PM

I know multi-sender transactions with sending addresses that belong to different people are possible in theory in bitcoin, but does anyone actually use them? Many analyses of the bitcoin network assume that they are seldom used, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much that is true in practice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 12:04:17 AM

Yes, and in a big way. Virtually all web wallets use them. Eg, suppose Alice, Bob, and Charlie all have an account with the same wallet provider. Alice and Bob deposit BTC5 each, and Charlie deposits BTC10. If Charlie then sends "his" BTC10 somewhere else, it might actually come from Alice and Bob's deposits. It's exactly the same as if you deposit $100 cash in your bank account, and then withdraw it again later: the bills you get almost certainly won't be the exact same bills you deposited, they'll have likely come from another depositor, or even several different depositors. The assumption that all sending addresses belong to the same owner is bogus if web wallets are involved (unless you consider the web wallet itself to be the "owner"), and so is the assumption that it's safe to send a refund back to the original sending address, since that address might not actually belong to the person who originally sent the money at all.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 06:23:45 AM

I know multi-sender transactions with sending addresses that belong to different people are possible in theory in bitcoin, but does anyone actually use them? Many analyses of the bitcoin network assume that they are seldom used, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much that is true in practice.

Did you mean multi-party M-of-N (BIP 11) transactions?
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0011

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Murphant (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:36:37 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2012, 06:48:53 PM by Murphant

It's exactly the same as if you deposit $100 cash in your bank account, and then withdraw it again later: the bills you get almost certainly won't be the exact same bills you deposited, they'll have likely come from another depositor, or even several different depositors.

I had though of that but somehow had not thought properly of the consequences for someone who is following the money trail. The trail does get scrambled when thought of this way. Thank you for enlightening me.

Out of curiosity, do web wallets usually create one address for every user or do they have one or a few big addresses every user dumps his bitcoins into?

Edit: answering my own question, both ways seem possible, the latter especially with hybrid wallets
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Browser-based_wallet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: