Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:04:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive LTC DDoS attack on all major pools  (Read 9355 times)
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:40:54 PM

A bot net makes more since than a private pool.

The script kiddie bot netters are pretty likely to ddos, because it takes little to no hacking skills (just like bot netting.)
The "private pool" was in quotations meaning a group of hackers (or script kiddies, it's all the same from a legal standpoint) who all have a vested interest shutting down the pools temporarily i.e. because they have a large portion of the hashing power and by taking the large pools offline it's enough to be the majority hashing power.

I find it highly unlikely that there is one guy somewhere who has a monster LTC mining rig as well as a monstrous botnet that is so huge he is simultaneously successfully DDoS'ing the 4 largest LTC pools by himself. I am fairly certain there is at least a handful of individuals in on this, i.e. a "private pool" - please note the quotations indicating that the phrase's intent is not to be taken literally but in a subtext.

Ah, OK, I get you. Yes, this is definitely the work of a group of people.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:42:03 PM

I find it highly unlikely that there is one guy somewhere who has a monster LTC mining rig as well as a monstrous botnet that is so huge he is simultaneously successfully DDoS'ing the 4 largest LTC pools by himself.

5 BTC is enough to DDoS one website for 24 hours. 20 BTC == the 4 largest LTC pools down.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:43:23 PM

This is good practice for contingency plans when this happens on a larger scale in the future.

Perhaps make some non-public mining pools. Notify people who are in the community privately and hash away.

Epic Fail. Decentralization is the solution.

Yeah, adding more pools makes it more decentralized genius.

LOL where do these idiots come from? The SolidcoinTalk forums? MicroRash Forums?  Grin Grin Grin

*facepalm*

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool

Interesting how you did not address your mistake in saying that more pools makes it LESS decentralized.

Yes P2Pool helps. But it isn't the only solution.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:48:31 PM

I find it highly unlikely that there is one guy somewhere who has a monster LTC mining rig as well as a monstrous botnet that is so huge he is simultaneously successfully DDoS'ing the 4 largest LTC pools by himself.

5 BTC is enough to DDoS one website for 24 hours. 20 BTC == the 4 largest LTC pools down.

Are weekends best time for botnet to work most efficiently?

If the hackers have access to some institution/research facilities, I am sure weekend attacks work best. 
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:50:49 PM

Is there somewhere that shows the network hash rate other than the few graphs at the pools that are inaccessible right now?

It would be interesting to see what it looks like.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:54:37 PM

If the hackers have access to some institution/research facilities, I am sure weekend attacks work best. 

No idea. 50 USD was a price for DDoS I've seen on one of hacker's sites. There was "Money back if the target survives DDoS" also.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:58:24 PM

No idea. 50 USD was a price for DDoS I've seen on one of hacker's sites. There was "Money back if the target survives DDoS" also.

Yes, it is cheap for a Ddos because it is quite easy to do, and the punishment is not very severe if caught (chances of getting caught are slim to none as well.)
c4n10

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:00:18 PM

Is there somewhere that shows the network hash rate other than the few graphs at the pools that are inaccessible right now?

http://allchains.info/
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:02:17 PM

coinotron, litecoinpool, and notroll are all down.

burnside's pool is still up, though.
thats why u should use p2pool lmao

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
c4n10

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:04:04 PM

coinotron, litecoinpool, and notroll are all down.

burnside's pool is still up, though.
thats why u should use p2pool lmao
p2pool's current hashrate is "0" according to http://allchains.info/
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:05:46 PM

That doesn't seem very accurate.
c4n10

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:10:52 PM

That doesn't seem very accurate.
I'm fairly sure that it is... And it's updated every 2 minutes as well...
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:26:27 PM

Most ppl dont know how to properly configure a server therefore its easy to DDoS (or even DoS) it.

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:26:44 PM

it is cheap for a Ddos because it is quite easy to do, and the punishment is not very severe if caught

and the end result of a ddos is that it brings difficulty down, so it can be profitable too if you plan to come on strong after difficulty adjusts down in a few days.
susanne

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:49:09 PM

Did someone set up a site called LitecoinDice?

That was the first thought that came in my mind when I read the title of this topic.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:58:42 PM

I have a private pool that I'd be willing to manually add folks to if you want to continue mining. Payouts would be manual, but I'd do PPS at 0% until the more popular pools come back up.

PM me if you're interested. It'd kinda be a trust thing since I don't have a web interface for the pool (it has just been a couple co-workers and I mining on it). That being said, I could probably put SOMETHING online in the next couple days just so people can view workers/shares.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 09:41:09 PM

We are under ddos too... Sad Will be online tomorrow, after setting up antiddos proxy shield.

Most ppl dont know how to properly configure a server therefore its easy to DDoS (or even DoS) it.
... and how will you configure your server to prevent 18 Gbit/s UDP DDoS, if you have 1 Gbit/s link? You'll power it off? Cheesy
K1773R
Legendary

/dev/null

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 09:56:15 PM

We are under ddos too... Sad Will be online tomorrow, after setting up antiddos proxy shield.

... and how will you configure your server to prevent 18 Gbit/s UDP DDoS, if you have 1 Gbit/s link? You'll power it off? Cheesy
1. rule: never have only 1 server
2. rule: contact ISP (takes only some minutes? but well, dunno how it is in other countrys)
3. rule: since u have now 2 (atleast) or more, setup loadbalancing or create a cluster...
not going to continue more.

[GPG Public Key]
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 09:56:58 PM

18 Gbit/s versus 1 Gbit/s is more flooding than ddosing.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 10:02:56 PM

1. rule: never have only 1 server - DDoSers don't care about number of servers. 1000x-powerful server == 1000 ordinary servers for them.
2. rule: contact ISP (takes only some minutes? but well, dunno how it is in other countrys) - ISP can do nothing, the most common reply is "it's not our problem".
3. rule: since u have now 2 (atleast) or more, setup loadbalancing or create a cluster... - DDoS costs 100x-10000x times cheaper than servers/cluster that is able to survive DDoS attack.
not going to continue more.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: