Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 02:34:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Awareness  (Read 766 times)
wdBTCtrader (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:05:22 PM

While Wikipedia or any other entities have  fundraisers I believe we should ask them to accept it via Bitcoins. If they do not that's fine. You should still donate if you believe in their service, but each time they ask us for a donation we should first ask them to accept Bitcoins. 
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:10:59 PM

http://blog.bitpay.com/2012/11/donate-to-wikipedia-with-bitcoin.html

They will not accept so bitpay setup an ad-hoc money transfer.
wdBTCtrader (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:14:37 PM

thank you for posting that. And I think that we should still make donations via, Bitpay or by whichever means you choose.  Although before we make a donation consider sending an email asking them to change their policy. It costs us nothing except about 5 seconds of time. 
wdBTCtrader (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:50:42 PM

In fact I just sent an email simply stating,

"I find you service invaluable and Please reconsider you current policy to accept Bitcoins. 
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 09:11:59 PM

In fact I just sent an email simply stating,

"I find you service invaluable and Please reconsider you current policy to accept Bitcoins. 

and you will get the standard email back, that they are monitoring bitcoin but don't see it as a currency yet.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 09:59:24 PM

and you will get the standard email back, that they are monitoring bitcoin but don't see it as a currency yet.
Well, so be it. For now. Big changes start with small steps.

Let's see how much longer they prefer to do without the TONS of extra donations they would receive upon openly accepting Bitcoin.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 10:20:09 PM

Well, so be it. For now. Big changes start with small steps.

Let's see how much longer they prefer to do without the TONS of extra donations they would receive upon openly accepting Bitcoin.

ok but many people have said this exact thing and they always get the same thing back, it is actually a dead horse that you trying to beat and it dumb. Accept that bitpay was nice to do an ad-hoc donation kinda of deal and that is the what will be for a while.
wdBTCtrader (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 10:09:49 AM

Actually  It is similar, but not the same.  It can be assumed someone "Josh VanDavier" is actually reading the messages and this is not some automated response.

nothing ventured; nothing gained

Josh VanDavier, Dec 03 16:58 (PST):
Hi wdBTCtrader,

Thanks for your email and for your suggestion. We are aware of bitcoin, and we will continue to monitor it with interest. Thanks again for taking the time to email us.

Sincerely,

Joshua VanDavier
Donor Services Manager
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
https://wikimediafoundation.org
Support us: https://donate.wikimedia.org

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: