Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:02:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLD] 1933 Gold Indian Head Coin: EXACT copy - I thought it was real. 0.5 BTC  (Read 1101 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 01:56:38 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2012, 08:12:26 AM by johnniewalker

Up for sale is an EXACT copy of a 1933 Gold Indian Head coin. A real one (made of gold) is worth over $1,000. My friend gave this to me as a gift. At first I was literally speechless; then he laughed and told me it was a copy. Where he got it, I do not know. It even has a proper patina on it, indicating that its old. Its cold and heavy like gold, too. I am not passing this off as a real gold coin, even though I'm sure I could. I am not advocating that anyone who buys it does the same, but when you buy it, you own it. I am asking just
0.5BTC. That includes expedited shipping anywhere in the US.

The first picture is what the real coin looks like. The second and third are my coin, obverse and reverse. They truly are indistinguishable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 06:40:39 AM

I'll take it!
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 10:06:40 AM

Too bad you didn't put this on Bitmit as an auction. You *may* have got much more for it.
I've seen trade listings for copy coins made in China so this may be where it originated. They are very cheap in bulk if anyone has ideas about sourcing these.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 11:24:10 PM

Too bad you didn't put this on Bitmit as an auction. You *may* have got much more for it.
I've seen trade listings for copy coins made in China so this may be where it originated. They are very cheap in bulk if anyone has ideas about sourcing these.
Seriously? Even disclosing that they aren't real?
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 12:06:37 AM

In China they are very proud of their ability to make passable fakes, it is part of their culture believe it or not.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 12:18:17 AM

I guess you're one of these guys who believes the US govt has the right to control everything on the planet. Fuck that.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 12:24:38 AM

I guess you're one of these guys who believes the US govt has the right to control everything on the planet. Fuck that.
Are you referring to me? Did you look at my signature at the bottom of each of my posts? I'm about as Libertarian as it gets. I was just asking if the things went for so much because people thought they were real gold or if they knew they weren't real gold but wanted them anyway. I don't know how you gathered an assumption on my beliefs on politics from that post!
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 12:28:41 AM

Also, that was post #69 for me
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 12:40:02 AM

Are you referring to me? Did you look at my signature at the bottom of each of my posts? I'm about as Libertarian as it gets. I was just asking if the things went for so much because people thought they were real gold or if they knew they weren't real gold but wanted them anyway. I don't know how you gathered an assumption on my beliefs on politics from that post!
My mistake then. I thought you were referring to it being dangerous to sell replicas nowadays, especially more so for faking legal tender. (I'm assuming that in 1933 they didn't actually mint a gold coin since they were confiscating it. But I don't really know about that.) I didn't notice your signature or I would have been more confused. I think someone would have paid more even knowing it's not real gold. Not that much more, not like it was actually worth anything, but it's probably not that easy to get one and that usually makes the price less dependent on any real value. It makes a great ironic conversation piece when you want to talk about gold confiscation.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:27:21 AM

My mistake then. I thought you were referring to it being dangerous to sell replicas nowadays, especially more so for faking legal tender. (I'm assuming that in 1933 they didn't actually mint a gold coin since they were confiscating it. But I don't really know about that.) I didn't notice your signature or I would have been more confused. I think someone would have paid more even knowing it's not real gold. Not that much more, not like it was actually worth anything, but it's probably not that easy to get one and that usually makes the price less dependent on any real value. It makes a great ironic conversation piece when you want to talk about gold confiscation.

Cool, thanks for settling things. Yeah I don't know the full story on the Gold Indian Head coins. I know they came in a lot of denominations, but I'm not sure who minted them. They're worth more than spot though, that I know. As far as "replicas" go I have a good connect in China. I actually email the factory owner. You wouldn't believe what kind of stuff they pump out. And its true-its almost like its an element of Chinese culture to have pride in making good fakes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: