Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 12:46:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal vs. Bitcoin in the Marketplace on this forum  (Read 1140 times)
SlickMoTwoToe (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 12:07:39 PM

I'm not really comfortable working with Paypal as it seems a lot more into the legal aspect of trades like needing your real name and address and freezing your account if they don't like what you're doing.

First of all, would I be in trouble if I made a Paypal account with fake info for the purpose of accepting payments? What could forseeably happen to me legally?

If I didn't want to mess with Paypal, but had a customer that wanted to do a Paypal payment, is there any trusted member here who would accept the Paypal and give me the equivalent in Bitcoin (while possibly keeping a small fee themselves)?
Firedude

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 12:27:04 PM

only feel safe with bitcoins online
SlickMoTwoToe (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 12:35:08 PM

only feel safe with bitcoins online

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 6748

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 12:37:53 PM

This is a bitcoin forum, if anyone wants to do a trade with PayPal here, they are very likely to be scamming

SlickMoTwoToe (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 12:45:58 PM

This is a bitcoin forum, if anyone wants to do a trade with PayPal here, they are very likely to be scamming

I didn't think about that... On a similar note though, I wonder how many people come here who have never actually used bitcoin
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 03:36:08 PM

you can sell for now and receiving funds in paypal, with coinimal, it's legit and secure, and it is fast, there are also no ID required

i would avoid dealing with members here with paypal, if this si your concern, unless he/she is very very trustworthy...
zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 03:58:31 PM

bitcointalk forum can be unpredictable so doing any trades with paypal can contain a big risks of being scammed because paypal transaction are reversible while bitcoin isn't (unless you are trying to do an attack) and bitcoin is anonymous so you will have more confident doing any transaction
Loimu

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:09:37 PM

Agree with everyone here. PayPal is not good, not to be used. Only bitcoin for me online from now on until the eternity Wink

I used to use PayPal few back. I had already verified my account by sending them all kind of information like my passport and proof of address. They limited and froze all my funds because of 'suspicious activity', meaning I had 10-15 transactions coming to my account from random people totaling under $50 in amount. Those transactions I had got as a donations to my website from people I do not personally know. So, they limited my account, froze my funds and demanded that I should call them and upload some kind of proofs for these transactions and to explain why some guy from India might be transferring one dollar to me.

That was the end of the line for me. I left the balance there and never took their requirements to 'clarify' the funds and spend my time for that. If it was worth the $20 or so to lose multiple year customer, then so be it. Since that I have only spoken bad things about them and given advice to others to stay clear of PayPal and look into bitcoin instead.

SlickMoTwoToe (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:13:01 PM

you can sell for now and receiving funds in paypal, with coinimal, it's legit and secure, and it is fast, there are also no ID required

i would avoid dealing with members here with paypal, if this si your concern, unless he/she is very very trustworthy...

So are you saying that I can set up something with Coinimal that would let the buyer send coinimal paypal and then coinimal would send me the equivalent BTC?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:54:59 PM

Be very careful before using paypal.  I would be more worried about scams then name being known.

Sadly many paypal transactions can be reversed.  BTC sending cannot.... so it's way to easy to be scammed.
zencomp

Activity: 182

★ Nakedbitcoins.com ★

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 05:01:57 PM

what ever every person told here about paypal is 1000% correct that dealing with paypal is clearly inviting scam in the trade, it is clearly that even after many days,months,years you can reverse your transaction, and most of the scammers give so much delicious offers that you will fell in that scam and get screwed it.

so the whole thing is when ever you hear about paypal in any trade or scheme , better to avoid 100%

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 05:11:18 PM

Chances are if you do a trade with someone using paypal then they will open a dispute and you will end up without your btc.

adicted

Activity: 546

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 05:50:47 PM

is there any trusted member here who would accept the Paypal and give me the equivalent in Bitcoin (while possibly keeping a small fee themselves)?

The answer is a big no obviously because the risk of experiencing a chargeback. Take a look on the currency exchange section of this forum and see how PayPal payments from non-reputable members were being denied Cheesy Only PayPal funds from reputable members were being welcomed and accepted.
ironbit

Activity: 194

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 05:59:09 PM

Well, Paypal is very great in closing account when they have a hint that you are dealing with Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies. If they close your account, all your balance is probably gone.
SlickMoTwoToe (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:42:45 PM

Well, Paypal is very great in closing account when they have a hint that you are dealing with Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies. If they close your account, all your balance is probably gone.

@ everyone else above too

Wow thanks for the advice... I guess Paypal is for plebs and old grannies who do their plebby Ebay & Amazon shopping and not for serious traders or anyone interested in cryptocurrency. I'm glad I asked here because I was very close to creating an account. Just more reasons to use Bitcoin  Grin
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:01:12 PM

If you start selling things by accepting paypal you should consider that someone will send funds from a stolen paypal, so in these cases paypal maybe will require you to verify your account so you should send them real information, so the best way is to create with real information.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:13:21 PM

is there any trusted member here who would accept the Paypal and give me the equivalent in Bitcoin (while possibly keeping a small fee themselves)?

The answer is a big no obviously because the risk of experiencing a chargeback. Take a look on the currency exchange section of this forum and see how PayPal payments from non-reputable members were being denied Cheesy Only PayPal funds from reputable members were being welcomed and accepted.

Yes, why the heck would someone take a risk for you, a risk of getting charged backed? I can't believe that you would even ask or propose something like this.

About you using fake names, I guess you can use any names but you won't be able to verify your account and withdraw your money to the bank account, essentially having your money stuck in your PayPal account!
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:25:58 PM

First of all, would I be in trouble if I made a Paypal account with fake info for the purpose of accepting payments? What could forseeably happen to me legally?
Yes, this is against the law. You would be in trouble if you get detected.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Hellacopter

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:23:19 AM

The marketplace here use the Bitcoin usually because it's the Bitcoin's forum, and also Paypal with its chargeback feature isn't as safe as Bitcoin.
But you can visit the exchange section and ask there if you need to exchange paypal into bitcoin
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:59:13 AM

The marketplace here use the Bitcoin usually because it's the Bitcoin's forum, and also Paypal with its chargeback feature isn't as safe as Bitcoin.
But you can visit the exchange section and ask there if you need to exchange paypal into bitcoin

The hard part is also the timeframe paypal covers is normally long.  I mean you might think it's all good and a week later person claims their account was hacked... can get money back.

That is very scary as BTC is not reversible.  A week later you can't get that BTC back.  I would never sell BTC for paypal to be honest.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: