Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:23:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt Coin Pool Operators - Please Open Source your pool software  (Read 1115 times)
wndrbr3d (OP)

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 04:42:51 PM

Dearest Community,

I think the recent DDOS events show us how susceptible out small community is to malicious attacks. To the point where if a few (~4) pools are attacked, the network hashrate drops to the point where the chain can easily be 51%'d by a third party.

Pool Operators do what they do for their own reasons. Some do it because what they make on the back end through fees or what the pool keeps after payments, others do it to genuinely support the alt chain they're running. Miners mine for the same reasons, either to make some money off their hardware and/or to support the network by adding their hashrate to the hive mind.

Our biggest weakness in the alt chains is how much customization needs to be done to the default Bitcoin software packages (Simplecoin, etc.) and how few have been able to successfully make these modifications. Because of this, there are very, very few operational pools when compared to Bitcoin. A low number of pools weakens the network.

To this, I'm asking pool operators Open Source their Litecoin customized version of Simplecoin or web frontend that works for Litecoin in order to bolster the network and make it less susceptible to DDoS attacks against a few pools. As mining software authors do, please, let the community come together and help make a stronger more resilient network.

Curious to hear people's thoughts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 06:09:18 PM

Sure, I'll look into posting a download link to a copy of the ltc.kattare.com pool.

Will have to pull a few things out.  I have custom pages and links in there for a couple of mining companies.

Also have a few things to clean up first.  Like I hate that it pulls the site settings out of the db.  I need to convert it to a config file before I subject anyone to that painful inefficiency.  Wink

I'm also worried about peeps asking for help getting it going once I do post it... Crazy busy these days and it's not exactly easy to spin up with all the requirements it has.  (memcached, pushpoold, mysql, litecoind, apache, php, etc.)

Cheers.
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 05:50:23 AM

P2Pool is incredibly easy to fork for an altchain.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 08:55:03 AM

Sure, I'll look into posting a download link to a copy of the ltc.kattare.com pool.

Will have to pull a few things out.  I have custom pages and links in there for a couple of mining companies.

Also have a few things to clean up first.  Like I hate that it pulls the site settings out of the db.  I need to convert it to a config file before I subject anyone to that painful inefficiency.  Wink

I'm also worried about peeps asking for help getting it going once I do post it... Crazy busy these days and it's not exactly easy to spin up with all the requirements it has.  (memcached, pushpoold, mysql, litecoind, apache, php, etc.)

Cheers.

Hey burnside,

I would be very interested in seeing this and would be happy to set up a pool or two of my own, but will need a little help i'm sure, but a copy of ur code would give me a huge start Smiley please let me know when a link is posted Smiley many thanks in advance

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 10:19:41 AM

Cheers.

Hey burnside,

I would be very interested in seeing this and would be happy to set up a pool or two of my own, but will need a little help i'm sure, but a copy of ur code would give me a huge start Smiley please let me know when a link is posted Smiley many thanks in advance

I'll definitely update the thread.

I should be clear that it's a relatively low priority.  Probably lower priority than most of my dev todo on litecoinglobal.com.  Smiley

Still, I think it would be safe to expect it within a couple of weeks.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: