Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:04:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: whats the easiest way to give btc as a gift?  (Read 1651 times)
Sixt5 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:43:57 PM

im using coinbase for my wallet but if i wanted to gift some for christmas to someone who does not have a wallet, how would i go about it?
TReano

Activity: 448
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:46:41 PM

Print out a Paper Wallet (With QR Code on it) and send some Bitcoin to it.

You can create an Online Wallet at:
https://blockchain.info/de/wallet

There is an option to print it after creating it. You need to write down the Password and the Login-ID to get access to the Wallet via the Website. This is the easiest Option since the Person with the new Bitcoins has an online Wallet which he/she can use instantly.

Alternative you can find Paperwallets on:
https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/

It's a open Source Project so you don't have to be afraid that your bitcoins will be stolen creating a wallet there. If you want to make sure you can download the website and create the paper Wallets offline. But importing the Wallet can be difficult for a total new Person. So I would suggest the play with Blockchain.info Wallets for the beginning.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:50:32 PM

im using coinbase for my wallet but if i wanted to gift some for christmas to someone who does not have a wallet, how would i go about it?

The best way i see for giving away bitcoin for xmass is as either in loaded casascius physical bitcoin or as a loaded hardware wallet like trezor.
Either way you should hurry up if u're planing on doing that, due to delivery time.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternatives, you could set up a wallet on thumb drive or as a paper wallet, even tho i would definitely suggest
one of the first option i mentioned; it has way more class to it.

cheers
ajrah

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:55:43 PM

I was looking at the collectibles and I wanted to buy a Unobtanium "Physical Wallet" as a gift to a friend. It's a nice gift for those who just started with Bitcoins and less expensive as well.

a7mos

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 11:01:28 PM

You can tell him/her to download any wallet (ex: mycelium ) on his/her smartphone and send whatever transaction you want. By this way s/he will have his firat experience with bitcoin
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 11:08:23 PM

The best way i see for giving away bitcoin for xmass is as either in loaded casascius physical bitcoin or as a loaded hardware wallet like trezor.
Either way you should hurry up if u're planing on doing that, due to delivery time.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternatives, you could set up a wallet on thumb drive or as a paper wallet, even tho i would definitely suggest
one of the first option i mentioned; it has way more class to it.

cheers

Yeah, I personally think the "giving casascius coins as a gift" era has already past us by, because of the realization of how much those coins can fetch for in btc and fiat.  Even though that's what it was mainly used for in the past, if someone doesn't already own a couple of them now, they are going to pay a pretty hefty premium for them since Mike is out of business and not creating them any more.

That's not to say that there aren't other way to do this coin giving thing a try.  If you plan on giving someone at least .1 in btc, try looking at the auction threads for Smoothie's brass "lealana" coins that he auctions off pretty frequently right now.  They tend to fetch lower prices and the last thread I saw, a bulk order of 40 brass is fetching somewhere around .35 btc right now, which isn't too bad at all... plus Smoothie is kind of like Mike's successor in a way in the first ones to start producing physical bitcoins, which makes them a little cooler. Not to mention his physical coins, or any of the new and upcoming physical coins, look very nice and would be a very nice gift to someone for the holidays.

Eric Cartman

Activity: 741

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 11:31:39 PM

Or you could just tip them by Facebook with ChangedTip.

Cheaper and easier

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 11:44:08 PM

There are still physical bitcoins that you can buy and gift.
It would be a cool gift and would definitely get the receiver interested in bitcoins.  Smiley

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 11:48:52 PM

There are still physical bitcoins that you can buy and gift.
It would be a cool gift and would definitely get the receiver interested in bitcoins.  Smiley

Yeah, I would be ecstatic if someone were to gift me a physical bitcoin for christmas... but it's definitely something I would never "ask Santa" for christmas, because my family really hates the fact that I'm into bitcoins at all and they think it's just some fad.

But as another suggestion to the OP, I would make it abundantly clear that what you gave them probably shouldn't be "opened" if it has come pre-loaded with bitcoins on it.  Tell them how much of a collectability comes with those kind of coins, and what kind of premium they already go for when you leave those coins untouched for a prolonged period of time... honestly that would make me more interested in bitcoin and researching what coin you just gave me.

calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:02:35 AM

Paper wallet is the best option, just go to bitaddress.org, disconnect your computer and print oof.  Also save a copy to a usb that you will store somewhere and never use online just incase
Hellacopter

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:03:39 AM

Ask him to create a wallet online and explain him how it works and what's Bitcoin currency, and then send him your gift to his address there
This way you can advertise and support the Bitcoin in giving you Christmas gift
l8nit3
Legendary

Activity: 1007

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:08:16 AM

I would personally just use an app based wallet such as xapo or coinomi.Easy to use, and always with you/them.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1419

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:21:29 AM

Give me the BTC and leave it to me.  Grin

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
biggbox

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2015, 12:25:12 AM

This physical coin looks cool and it could impress: https://denarium.com/

1Cr9iLWm2dSGH8259VQd2wDzpkR63jGVjW
Rabber

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:28:16 AM

Paper wallet is the best option, just go to bitaddress.org, disconnect your computer and print oof.  Also save a copy to a usb that you will store somewhere and never use online just incase

[/quot]

How is the address and public key added to the ledger if you create it when disconnected?

ajrah

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:33:02 AM

Drop-by at the Collectibles section Under Goods and you'll see a lot of interesting items that can be used as a gift to another Bitcoin enthusiast. I'm looking into buying those papersafe satoshi note.

justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:36:24 AM

The easiest way is to give whoever you want to, a paper wallet with a QR code on it. Or you can just find out their address and send some Bitcoin to them.
michietn94
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:51:26 AM

you can create a wallet for them, then give the id and password to them

or just exchange it into fiat currency then transfer to them, or easier just buy it online and ship it to them

FANSUNITE

█ █
███
███
███
 ▄
 ▀
███
███
███
███
█ █

█ █
███
███
███
 ▄
 ▀
███
███
███
███
█ █
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2015, 03:05:37 AM

If you're gifting someone bitcoins who don't even have a wallet, make sure to keep back up of the paper wallets you gift to them, because say for some reason they lost the paper wallets or the wallet got damaged or they didn't find the concept interesting for whatever reason and the bitcoins went unclaimed, the money attached to those paper wallets will be lost forever.

If you keep backup, you can see after some time, if they claimed the bitcoins (by creating a wallet on their own and transferring the bitcoins from paper wallet to it) or not and if they didn't you can either claim it back or inform them how to create wallets and get hold of their funds.

There's a new service called Bitgreet, which lets you print Gift Cards with Bitcoin attached to them and it has an clawback feature, so if the gift cards are not claimed by the receiver, you can claim them back, but you have to trust that service to hold the bitcoins, whilst you can do the same with paper wallets printed offline without trusting anyone.

justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 03:16:02 AM

you can create a wallet for them, then give the id and password to them

or just exchange it into fiat currency then transfer to them, or easier just buy it online and ship it to them

Oh yeah, I forgot about that way. But then you would have to use your own email, make a new email or juts know your friends email that hasn't already been used. Which is a bit more of a hassle compared to printing out a QR code.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: