Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:54:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with my phone  (Read 758 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 06:56:32 PM

Hi,
I know this is off topic but I'm currently in need of help with my Galaxy S3 LTE (GT-9305 from UK and came with Jelly bean 4.1.1 when I bought it). I discovered that I can get emojis which I like the look of (a person on twitter I follow started mentioning/using them).The thing is,it says I need to switch to the android keyboard on the phone but my galaxy S3 didn't come with it (only samsung keyboard is available plus google voice typing).I didn't know where I could go for this type of thing so I thought I'd post it here.

I need help with 2 things:
1.How can I find and install 'android keyboard' (jelly bean stock like on google's devices) onto my Galaxy S3 (LTE) phone
2.How to get Emoji (Engish) dictionary after I have the android keyboard installed.

I know where to find this in the menu but I see no mention of finding and installing android keyboard on my phone for phones which don't have it for some reason: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/x0fn6/jellybeans_native_emoji_support/

I need help so no trolls please.It'd be nice if I can tweet messages without going through 140 characters so quickly with just a few words.Thanks Smiley

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 07:08:47 PM

Here is the keyboard from 4.2. Try installing it and it might work right off the bat.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34538839/4.2JellyBeanKeyboard.apk
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 07:13:27 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2012, 07:25:20 PM by film2240

Here is the keyboard from 4.2. Try installing it and it might work right off the bat.

Thanks a lot.Will try it out :-)
Update:Installed it and it works successfully on my Galaxy S3 (the jelly bean 4.2 stock keyboard will also work with jelly bean 4.1 as I've just tested it.).Thanks a lot.Only thing left is to try and find that emoji dictionary or to import that in the languages list somehow.

Thing to bear in mind is select the tickbox for  "allow installation of non-market apps" option so that this can be installed in future.The app works fine after this is enabled.

Say do you know how to find and download additional dictionaries for the android keyboard now that I've got it up and running?Thanks

Yuhfhrh

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 07:30:12 PM

Update:Installed it and it works successfully on my Galaxy S3 (the jelly bean 4.2 stock keyboard will also work with jelly bean 4.1 as I've just tested it.).Thanks a lot.Only thing left is to try and find that emoji dictionary or to import that in the languages list somehow.

Thing to bear in mind is select the tickbox for  "allow installation of non-market apps" option so that this can be installed in future.The app works fine after this is enabled.

Say do you know how to find and download additional dictionaries for the android keyboard now that I've got it up and running?Thanks

Settings->Language and imput-> android keyboard settings->add-on dictionaries->Emoji for English words->Install?
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 07:35:57 PM

Thing to bear in mind is select the tickbox for  "allow installation of non-market apps" option so that this can be installed in future.The app works fine after this is enabled.

Settings->Language and imput-> android keyboard settings->add-on dictionaries->Emoji for English words->Install?
This'll take me some time to find as it appears that Samsung has heavily customised my galaxy S3 with their own GUI.I'll report back as soon as I make progress or need help.Thanks again Smiley

Yuhfhrh

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 08:18:18 PM

Thing to bear in mind is select the tickbox for  "allow installation of non-market apps" option so that this can be installed in future.The app works fine after this is enabled.

This'll take me some time to find as it appears that Samsung has heavily customised my galaxy S3 with their own GUI.I'll report back as soon as I make progress or need help.Thanks again Smiley

Basically what you are looking for is the settings of the keyboard app you just installed. If you are able to use the jelly bean keyboard to type, you should be able to hold down the "," button on the keyboard to get to it's settings.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 09:06:48 PM

Basically what you are looking for is the settings of the keyboard app you just installed. If you are able to use the jelly bean keyboard to type, you should be able to hold down the "," button on the keyboard to get to it's settings.

It's ok.I managed to find the settings but I discovered a problem.In the Input languages option (what I need),Samsung must have removed the 'Emoji characters for English' options as it doesn't show on that list with the stock android KB.Not a fault of Android,It's samsung's.I've heard that rooting my phone will let me add additional input languages to the phone,so I'll be looking into that.If it's true,how can you add additional languages onto the device or find a downloadable file to put it on there.

I may not be an expert in android but I'm starting to get to grips with stuff (I only had it for less than 2 months so far) so hopefully I'll get my answer. Just discovered that Jelly bean 4.1 can read emojis that are sent to me via text message (from a win phone,gotta test iPhones next),I just cant write them for now but I can see them at least so I can understand what people are saying.

Thanks for the help Smiley

Yuhfhrh

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 10:03:50 PM

My help stops at this point. Even if you were rooted, I don't know of anyway to add those in, except for using a custom rom with them already there. If you find an AOSP rom for the GS3, it will probably have those included.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: