Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 04:08:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Support Sandy Cleanup Volunteers DIRECTLY with BTC Donations!  (Read 880 times)
MyBitcoinMint (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 08:57:55 PM

I had an idea after watching this story on NY 1 last night: www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/173222/couple-helping-sandy-victims-worried-they-will-no-longer-be-able-to-rent-u-haul.

This Staten Island couple has been renting a UHaul truck filled with tools/materials to help cleanup efforts post-Sandy, and apparently they are starting to have some trouble raising the funds needed to keep the UHaul truck, which has been essential to their efforts. Apparently in the 4 weeks since Sandy has hit, they've cleaned up over 1,000 houses with the help of volunteers; sounded pretty free-market efficient to me (and willing to bet FEMA isn't putting up the same #'s per $).

As a NYer, I've been wondering who I can donate to where the money wouldn't be wasted going towards some bureaucratic mess, and this seemed like a great opportunity to help.

I've gotten in contact with Mike Hoffman (the husband), and he said their current cost for the UHaul truck is $45/day. The story mentions that they might lose the truck as early as today, but I've spoken with Mike and know that they have secured it for at least today.

Paysius.com has been generous enough to offer to convert BTC to USD for this volunteer team free-of-charge. I will speak with Mike soon to see if he would like to post a BTC address on his facebook page, once he lets me know he is ok with doing that I will post his facebook page along with what I hope will be a direct BTC address.

In the meantime, I have created a Blockchain address to accept BTC on the couple's behalf: 13FcRkmXyqf38UXpZo8Lj5nFKR11A6MkPs
The Paysius team will be happy to confirm that this is legit and all funds go directly to the Hoffmans.

Thanks so much Bitcoin community, it's exciting and empowering to know we can directly help out others with our magic internet-money powers! I will be making a donation myself shortly to kick things off.

My Bitcoin Mint
Sound Money...from your hard drive, to your hand!
www.MyBitcoinMint.com
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 10:11:24 PM

I'll post here to verify that the OP (Gabe) is trustworthy and is in contact with me for this donation project. We know Gabe well here in NYC and you can be sure that any BTC donations will get to the couple. If a significant amount of funds are donated, we can perhaps try to push a news story out of this.

So, donate what you can to Gabe's address: 13FcRkmXyqf38UXpZo8Lj5nFKR11A6MkPs
MyBitcoinMint (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 03:02:14 PM

The situation regarding the Sandy fundraising effort that I have posted about has hit a critical timing need.

I just got word from Mike Hoffman with the volunteer team, and they are currently completely out of funds.

This volunteer team is strictly seeking funds to secure a UHaul van which stores and transports donated equipment to help Sandy victims and volunteers to clean up affected homes.

I feel this is a very worthy cause (no bureaucratic mess to deal with - funds go directly to the volunteers) and if a significant amount of donations are made, this story could very well be picked up by the same media reporting on this volunteer couple. Feel good about yourself, help out Sandy victims, help publicize a good name for Bitcoin. It's a win-win.

Thank you all for your help

My Bitcoin Mint
Sound Money...from your hard drive, to your hand!
www.MyBitcoinMint.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: