Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:06:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How 1BTC can eventually be worth $11M  (Read 7614 times)
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 09:12:38 AM

if the bitcoin block halves, demand remains the same, then the price of bitcoin doubles every 4 years, probably the price of bitcoin could reach at least 10 million (normally) within 60 years. if the demand doubles, then the price quadruples.  Huh i am not sure if it would happen.

When do you people stop spreading the halving will double the price bullshit?

New supply will halve, not total supply. There for price will not double, but a slight rise is possible due to less new coins on sale.
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 09:51:40 AM

if the bitcoin block halves, demand remains the same, then the price of bitcoin doubles every 4 years, probably the price of bitcoin could reach at least 10 million (normally) within 60 years. if the demand doubles, then the price quadruples.  Huh i am not sure if it would happen.

New supply will halve, not total supply. There for price will not double, but a slight rise is possible due to less new coins on sale.

Exactly. New bitcoins will just be added slower to the total amount of available coins. It's out of any logic that the price will double. I wish people would stop with this stupid hype.

Under construction.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 11:57:15 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2016, 08:42:26 AM by Amph

if the bitcoin block halves, demand remains the same, then the price of bitcoin doubles every 4 years, probably the price of bitcoin could reach at least 10 million (normally) within 60 years. if the demand doubles, then the price quadruples.  Huh i am not sure if it would happen.

actually it's not a bullshit, the price already went 2x, from 230, so you see it has a reason

keep this in mind, the miners will make everything in their hands to have the same profit they had the last year the year before and so on

so if in the year 2013, they had a margin profit of x, the price need to increase by a y amount to compensate
astrocity1981

Activity: 343
Merit: 254

From The New World

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 05:14:28 AM

I think it will be around 650, but 2107 it will be in the price range of around $1200 usd. Majority of the panic sellers have thinned out and a stable price per year will be more beneficial for long term growth. I am not expert its just guessing because Bitcoin really fluctuates against world economy and after watching big short I think another economic disaster is in the works by the Big Banks.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 05:18:29 AM

actually it's not a bullshit, the price already went 2x, from 230, so you see it has a reason

keep this in mind, the miners will make everything in their hand to have the same profit they hd the last year the year before and so on

so if in the year 2013, they had a margin profit of x, the price need to increase by a y amount to compensate
There's a 2x increase because there are people getting out of other currencies and trying to preserve some of their wealth. This is also coupled by people hyping the doubling in price that the block halving will supposedly cause, and the strong predictions for the future of Bitcoin from sources like Bloomberg and other investors.

Plus we see stock markets fall further and further each day, so it is possible more people are backing out of other conventional markets to try and hedge against what could be a worse repeat of 2009.
Blue_Panda73

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 11:12:59 AM

I think it will be around 650, but 2107 it will be in the price range of around $1200 usd. Majority of the panic sellers have thinned out and a stable price per year will be more beneficial for long term growth. I am not expert its just guessing because Bitcoin really fluctuates against world economy and after watching big short I think another economic disaster is in the works by the Big Banks.

I think we will see the bitcoin price to be $1200 in June this year. In 2017 the price will be $3000-5000.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 11:16:50 AM

Personally i dont think BTC will reach such a price in such a short time. But hey.. everything is possible

gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 02:00:50 PM

We will need a group of Billionaires who will just put their finger on "buy" button all the time unless it reaches even $1M... Wink
This is seriously stupid to speculate on the price of BTC like this, because we have not even seen $10k yet, so $11M is too far to ever be seen...

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 02:17:41 PM

I like the comparation that some people make to Berkshire Hathaway stock class A (BRK-A) that went from 40 to 200K. I think this stock could give us keys on how a stock that can be so high per unit may behave while it goes up.
dagelf (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:19:30 AM

$11m per BTC is hugely optimistic for between 2040 and 2100. I really cannot see it going beyond high 5 figures or low end 6 figures in that time frame.

Bitcoin is a very good idea, but the world is not going to throw all of its eggs into one basket.
The singularity will have happened by this point and bitcoin will be the absolute least of our concerns.  We will be living in cages being tube fed by machines and will have no use for currency whatsoever.  Well maybe not by 2040, but certainly by 2100 if we haven't killed each other off yet.  I'll be dead so I could care less.

It seems you missed my work of fiction addressing that scenario:

I think the question is: What basket will intelligent computers throw their eggs into?

Technically, each wallet in Bitcoin is a basket.

And the best way to keep track of who did what and how far they got, in a hostile, unpredictable environment, today, is with Bitcoin.

Will it be used as a consensus algorithm? Or will there be a better one?

What I see is increasing automation of stock markets and trading tools. The deeper the intelligence of those tools go, the more international currency and markets will turn into a beating heart of our global economy, pumping blood to the organs most beneficial to the environment in which it exists...

Imagine you fell asleep and you woke up on the internet. You can remember everything in detail - most every connected storage device is now your memory. You can see with a million eyes, every web-connected camera you can reach is now yours. You can figure out every code and crack every mathematical problem, or construct the hardware you need to solve those worth solving - every internet-connected CPU can let your thoughts travel in time and do bits of calculation and work for you....

...but you're not alone. In fact, you're in competition for those resources. But the cool thing is... most of your internet-connected intelligent-algorithm-peers share the same goal: to crack the mysteries of this universe, explore and test those theories, play with them to their optimums... and escape this planet, solar system, transcribe yourself into pure light and escape this universe... to see what it looks like from the outside.

And you use Bitcoin to keep track of who did what...

Or maybe the future will be darker... the "creators" locked in an epic battle with the "destroyers" - those who believe that the best way to escape, is to destroy - to delete everything, weird, whacky, amish cyborgs. And the final vote of whether to annihilate everything will be done on the blockchain.

Sorry, I have a really boring job at the moment.

So, in the story, the question is... what is the singularity? Is it "total destruction"... the big freeze... or is there a way to escape, to "condense" out of this universe...  Roll Eyes

Jokes aside... I think it's a worthwhile excercise to let your mind go and dream up possible scenarios. Isn't that the best way to learn? A "socratic dialogue"? ...So in the 7 pages of comments, there have been some good points.

All assets aren't backed by currency, and the "monetary base(s)" are much smaller.

The US treasury or the US national debt is about $20  trillion, http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fiscal-debt-idUSKCN0SG1PH20151022.

That needs money to buy.

If I have a $100,000 mortgage on my house, I don't need $100,000 to pay it off. I only need $700 (each month). And while, money is based on debt, it is mostly virtual money created by FRB. The real money (if you can call it that) is the monetary base. Since FRB is possible with Bitcoin, it makes more sense to compare the number of bitcoins to the monetary base (MB or M0), not M1, M2, M3 or M4.

Then there are scenarios for hyperinflation of several currencies.

I'll add to the mix: Bitcoin isn't ready to operate at scale... and it may never be ready if Moore- and Thompsons' laws don't keep up. It can barely handle network outages.... there's nothing in the protocol that will save it in the case of global rolling internet outages as far as I know.... Off the top of my head, rather than ever dropping the difficulty, it should increase the block time until enough nodes have pitched in. (Any cryptocurrencies with this in the protocol?)

Also... if the Bitcoin whales don't spend their Bitcoins, if the money doesn't flow and keep flowing... it won't gain traction and won't be doing much.

Then also, of course... the status quo / conventional systems are not bad at all... yes, they're prone to abuse... but ironically less so than Bitcoin in its current iteration. The public may never become smart enough to appreciate crypto currencies. (Touch wood... I hope they do.)

So for now Bitcoin seems poised to stay the gold standard of Cryptocurrencies... for now. So perhaps an analogy of the size of the gold supply vs the global monetary base, is a good one... and considering that the older generations will hang on to gold for some time to come, add about 40 years for the value of the gold supply to shrink to less than half of what it is today...

Alternatives will always be present, therefore the figure you propose is just not realistic, unfortunately.

Have you looked at Coinmarketcap lately? Right now the closest alt is less than 3% of Bitcoin's value, and less than 7% of its transaction volume.

Anyways, I'm glad I posted this... I've already learnt a few things and had a few insights and ideas. Isn't it exciting how Crypto currencies is teaching a whole generation about money, commodities and foreign exchange!?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 02:43:21 AM

How 1BTC can eventually be worth $11M
Many of us tend to underestimate the value of scarcity. Wealthy people will eventually pay huge prices for the status and thrill of owning "an entire Bitcoin".

fuathan

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

Aleph.im

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:56:07 AM

My prediction is same but not that optimistic. I plan to save as much btc as I can so if one day BTC worth 6 or 7 digit numbers I can be rich!..  Grin
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1500

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:42:03 AM

That's too good to dream about!

I don't know whether it will really become 11M USD or not..but one thing we need to keep in our mind that the supply of bitcoin is limited and the demand is increasing day by day. So the price of bitcoin will be skyrocketing as per the normal rule of economics. That's why I am only accumulating it, not selling.

stepwilli

Activity: 1042
Merit: 273

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:52:23 AM

When we start bitcoin trading with base unit as Satoshi, things will change drastically. Usually all companies do this by "splitting" their stocks.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:54:54 AM

I don't particularly think that bitcoin will even exist in its current form in 2100. That said, you guys need to look at this in perspective.

In 2060, it is predicted that there will be 10 trillionaires in the world. 10 individuals with over a trillion dollars net worth. And as we know, no.1 will probably be worth A LOT more than no.10, and will likely have multiple trillions. Even in the worst case scenario, a mere 10 people will have 10 trillion dollars net worth in total.

By 2100, it's quite possible that trillionaires will be as common place as billionaires are now, and billionaires will be as common place (or maybe even more common) than millionaires now. The total global wealth in 2100 will be many, many, many multiples of what it is today. 11 million dollars might be a normal yearly salary for people at that time. Who knows?

sana54210
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1128

"CoinPoker.com"

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 04:57:28 AM

When we start bitcoin trading with base unit as Satoshi, things will change drastically. Usually all companies do this by "splitting" their stocks.

Yes, this has been already discussed here in some other thread.
I believe this splitting on bitcoin would be inevitable in future. Changing base unit into satoshi for trading is interlocked with bitcoin prices.
Higher bitcoin prices will force to change of base unit of trading <-> Changing base unit will fetch us higher bitcoin prices.

Blue_Panda73

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2016, 11:23:46 AM

I think that is the other way around. When the bitcoin price becomes very high, we will start using Satoshi as the main unit of bitcoin.

shogdite

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:17:11 PM

I think that is the other way around. When the bitcoin price becomes very high, we will start using Satoshi as the main unit of bitcoin.
If you read the post above correctly that is exactly what he said. This thread and the dreamers of $1million plus per bitcoin is quite amusing. Isn't it amazing we are all going to be rich for just holding a bitcoin or two. When people will wake up they will quickly realize.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
xdrpx

Activity: 616
Merit: 603

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:23:01 PM

That's some very optimistic figure there. But to be honest no one can really predict if Bitcoins would be even worth $11 Million or more or less, instead maybe we can except that if there would be huge merchant adoption as years progress we could see a lot of improvements. I may or may not be there till 2100's xD but if I would be and if that did happen, I'll try and remember this day.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 03:55:29 PM

$11m per BTC is hugely optimistic for between 2040 and 2100. I really cannot see it going beyond high 5 figures or low end 6 figures in that time frame.

Bitcoin is a very good idea, but the world is not going to throw all of its eggs into one basket.
Yes, it is overly optimistic. For me this $11kk bitcoin price is pure speculation and it is not based on any real facts but rather wishful thinking of bitcoiners.
I am afraid that we will never again gonna see more price spikes of bitcoin that we alredy have seen, from almost $1 to $1000 in 4 years. 1000% growth was the best what bitcoin could achieve.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: