Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:15:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using an eBay auction as a sort of trust factor.  (Read 441 times)
bbOOmm (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 06:33:05 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2015, 07:29:38 PM by bbOOmm

I'm looking for thoughts....

I'm looking to purchase an item.
The person offered to post the item on ebay where I would them purchase it off of eBay.

As far as I know, eBay has not implemented BTC at a payment option yet... so payment still would be going wallet to wallet.

Ebay has a "registration process" but I'm not sure if that is good enough for "trust" dealing with a purchase of a fairly expensive piece of equipment using the anonymous BTC

Has anyone done something like this?
Do you think something like this has recourse ~IF~ something should go sideways and I don't get the item after payment?

Or

WHO / HOW .... to use as Escrow ( never used escrow ) I have no clue where to start to use escrow.

----------After at least a dozen BTC transactions online, I got hit by a scammer that nailed me for $275.... now I'm wary of the transactions and am looking for transaction security.

Thanks

--------------bbOOmm
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 08:12:35 PM

If payment is off the Ebay platform then there's nothing they can do to help you and as they don't do anything with BTC that means you're left wide open. They could've bought the account or hijacked it. As far as I remember I never provided any ID to open an Ebay account.

If they're close enough to you you could do it in person. If not then the only way you'll find any protection is via escrow. There are enough well established people here with lengthy and verifiable track records to look into it. I'd never use an escrow website. They could be any old asshole.

If the seller refuses any type of escrow agreement then walk away.

bbOOmm (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 08:21:10 PM

Is there a list of trusted escrow people somewhere?

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 08:25:39 PM

Here's a list of some of the biggies - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855778.msg9522107#msg9522107

It's worth checking all of their trust ratings and their current status. Sometimes they might be away from the internet for a while and usually announce it.

maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 03:23:39 PM

You can see the person trust on eBay, and that tells you something. But if you are paying outside of eBay, they cannot protect your purchase, and you will not be able to chargeback.

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 08:19:48 PM

I put some items for sale and offered to sell on my ebay account since i have really good feedback just to show that i dont generally rip anyone off and also since i havent aquired enough trust on this site. i would check the users feedback andsee how trustworthy they look and then just decide from that. Some people do have morals, although many dont .

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: