Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:42:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Mining be shut down.  (Read 4356 times)
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 01:07:15 AM

Yankee noted . . And this guy has two thousand posts.  unbelievable. .

No one understands what you are posting.

Rob E (OP)

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 01:38:36 AM

oh i bet there are moderators .lol.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:00:19 AM

Currency and weed have very little in common, but Yankee was trying to point out that even though weed is illegal, its everywhere. It being illegal doesn't stop people from using it, its more popular now than back when it was legal. The same applies if mining was made illegal, it wouldn't stop people from mining.

Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:05:56 AM

Two are totally  distinguishable.
Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:07:39 AM

there is is no significance between bitcoin and weed . . On Any front. .
Blazr

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:17:38 AM

It still applies.

You think that if mining is made illegal, that everybody in the world is going to stop mining?

Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:20:52 AM

Whose " everybody" the 2 to 20 % supplying us with bit coins. .  ..
we all need to do it .. Everyone. .
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 02:30:43 AM

This is hilarious. What if they made alcohol illegal? Oh, been there, done that.
The point people are trying to make is that no solution is needed because enforcement is impossible.
And a best case for enforcement is that it may hinder mining in one country and just push some mining to other countries. And even if huge attempts were made at enforcement miners would just use a secure proxy and send traffic to another country. The traffic for mining is tiny and easily hidden if need be.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 02:37:49 AM

Oh oh no no, artificially high profits because some people will be scared, oh no, please, no, Mr Politician.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:39:10 AM

Currency and weed have very little in common, but Yankee was trying to point out that even though weed is illegal, its everywhere. It being illegal doesn't stop people from using it, its more popular now than back when it was legal. The same applies if mining was made illegal, it wouldn't stop people from mining.

Weed is indeed a currency. I paid a plumber in weed the other day in fact. And a case of beer.

Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:40:13 AM

It still applies.

You think that if mining is made illegal, that everybody in the world is going to stop mining?
No it doesn't  drugs and a liberal curency don't  compare. . two different fronts . Huge Difference. .
Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:44:11 AM

Weed is indeed a currency. I paid a plumber in weed the other day in fact. And a case of beer.
Right we're talking an acceptable currency . . not " i know you what do you want what do i have". .  A legal currency for all good.  For a ll .
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:45:56 AM

Attempting to stop bitcoin mining would be more futile than herding cats.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:52:39 AM

Whose " everybody" the 2 to 20 % supplying us with bit coins. .  ..
we all need to do it .. Everyone. .

OK, let just look at this situation carefully.

We've got 208 countries in 7 continents. Very few of these countries government know anything about Bitcoin & many of these countries hate each other & will not talk to each other. There is no way they would all make Bitcoin mining illegal, at least one country is going to agree with Bitcoin as a concept and not want to ban it (in the weed example this would be Holland) or just not care, or want to increase tax income by allowing it.

What is more likely than every country banning it is that the US try to create a UN mandate banning Bitcoin mining. This means it would be illegal (controlled) in 193 countries. This is also extremely unlikely & would be heavily disputed & would take years and years to happen.

Its almost more likely that the super intelligent alien theory happens than a mandate coming out banning Bitcoin mining, but lets pretend it happens. How do they even catch anyone doing it? Miners IP's can be obfuscated using TOR, hard drives can be encrypted (in case of a raid by police) power bills can be reduced to nothing using ASIC's & said ASIC's can be manufactured in clandestine factories. How would they even begin to go around catching miners?

If Bitcoin mining was made illegal, I'd estimate less than 10% would stop as its not a morally wrong thing to do & its extremely hard to get caught doing and even harder to prosecute when caught.
It's got Nothing to do with countries " hating " each other what a bogus line  a Deluded line. .You are beyond delusional  . . 80% of humanity wants to get along with each other in a real world  80 would support bitcoin  or  any other " illegal"  currency. . War between any nation is a delusion impinged upon many by a few select elite. .
Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:54:12 AM

cheers. . But how. .
Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:58:41 AM

Why don't you fkn try me. .
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 03:00:59 AM

uh.... most other normal people don't even know what mining is (bitcoin mining). Heck, they don't even know about bitcoin at all.

Then you'd have to inspect every computer for mining software. There are botnets now that do everything that is already illegal, it hasn't stopped those.

If the internet were made illegal, how do you stop it?

Blazr

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 03:03:12 AM

It's got Nothing to do with countries " hating " each other what a bogus line  a Deluded line. .You are beyond delusional  . .

I'm the delusional one? Cheesy

Its called international relations. Can you imagine the US trying to convince Iraq to make Bitcoin mining illegal?

Now, compare this whole scenario to the fact that anyone with $50 million can 51% attack Bitcoin and destroy it that way. Which scenario do we worry about?

I personally think I'm much more likely to get struck by lightening than Bitcoin mining being made illegal.

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 03:04:50 AM

cheers. . But how. .

You'd have to declare martial law and have every computing device open to search and seizure.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
Rob E (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 03:15:12 AM

no . pf you cuolld just make " mining illegal .

FROM NOW ON ANY DIVERTIONAL CURRENCY CONTRARY TO THE STATE WILL BE MADE ILLEGAL AND BE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH OR LIFE IMPRISONMENT FOR THE GOOD OF THE SURVIVAL OF THE NATION AND SURVIVAL OF ITS CITIZENS . EASY  .
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: