Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 02:40:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Now it turns  (Read 2465 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 12:28:30 AM

The hash rate dropped quickly below 20TH, more GPU miners are shutting down...

Two of my GPUs are already died and the third is on the way

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 01:50:37 AM

A bunch of pools have been attacked/ddos'd today. I would almost expect it to return to it's previous level in the next day or so.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 05:12:25 AM

It THAT what happened.

I was wondering what in the world was going on.
I mean, 4.58 blocks per hour?
Estimated difficulty 3.51M?  A day ago it was 3.60M and climbing.

Meanwhile the BTC price has shot up almost $1 over pre-Halving levels.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 05:15:53 AM

I know Deepbit was getting attacked. OzCoin was having problems with some DNS issues. Neither of those was the pools fault. Combine that with maybe some bad luck from the other pools, and you've got yourself a "dip in the hashrate".

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 11:58:54 AM

I know Deepbit was getting attacked. OzCoin was having problems with some DNS issues. Neither of those was the pools fault. Combine that with maybe some bad luck from the other pools, and you've got yourself a "dip in the hashrate".

At the end of the day p2pool might be the only pool left.  Decentralized/no fees/all transactions is hard to beat.  We just need more hash rate on it to decrease the variance.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
deadwoodluke

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 01:27:44 PM

BTC Guild was being attacked and now the Germany server is offline.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 04:14:13 PM

At the end of the day p2pool might be the only pool left.  Decentralized/no fees/all transactions is hard to beat.  We just need more hash rate on it to decrease the variance.

This will be difficult until ASICs come out because BFL FPGA Singles are incompatible with p2pool.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 04:21:55 PM

This will be difficult until ASICs come out because BFL FPGA Singles are incompatible with p2pool.

I know.  There are still a lot of GPUs out there though that could use it.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 07:24:33 PM

M
Wasn't P2Pool having some sort of problems recently? Idk where I heard that...

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:33:05 PM

M

The upgrade appeared bumpy, but still worked.  It didn't affect the block rate, it just looked bad to everyone.  People still got paid, if they didn't give up because it looked bad.

M

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 09:27:13 PM

M
The upgrade appeared bumpy, but still worked.  It didn't affect the block rate, it just looked bad to everyone.  People still got paid, if they didn't give up because it looked bad.

M
Lol that's sort of a weird, confusing explanation.

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 10:28:36 PM

M

M
Lol that's sort of a weird, confusing explanation.

I know.  Check the stats:

http://p2pool.info/

Pool stale rate was 20-30% for a long time, miners were getting 10% rejects from the pool, yet we kept getting blocks and getting paid.  What can I say, other than go p2pool.

M

Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 03:30:29 PM

Pool stale rate was 20-30% for a long time, miners were getting 10% rejects from the pool, yet we kept getting blocks and getting paid.  What can I say, other than go p2pool.

Getting paid and getting paid your full expected amount is not the same thing. I'd rather be at a pool like BTCOxygen with a 2% fee than get 10% rejects.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:18:11 PM

Getting paid and getting paid your full expected amount is not the same thing. I'd rather be at a pool like BTCOxygen with a 2% fee than get 10% rejects.
I guess he means that if EVERYONE was getting the same 10% rejects, and those 10% reject don't result in a 10% drop in blocks found, then theoretically the rewards still get divided up the same? So as long as you're not the only person getting 10% rejects, then it doesn't matter to your payout? Idk I'm a little confused by that as well.  Huh

Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:48:40 PM

If you had been on p2pool the last couple months you'd have made 110%+ over regular PPS rates, without fees mined straight to your wallet.
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:54:26 PM

I guess he means that if EVERYONE was getting the same 10% rejects, and those 10% reject don't result in a 10% drop in blocks found, then theoretically the rewards still get divided up the same? So as long as you're not the only person getting 10% rejects, then it doesn't matter to your payout? Idk I'm a little confused by that as well.  Huh

you have to understand that p2pool isnt mining the bitcoin chain it's mining an alt chain that essentially merge mines the btc chain. rejects, stales and orphans don't matter as long as the pool is working. You can get a btc block with a stale or orphaned p2pool share. There's a lot of variance because of the share idea, but it works out. As long as you get some shares in before p2pool hits a block you are good. The shares last for several blocks, so if you stop mining you get paid for a while too. It also means it takes a while to build up your sharecount to reach maximum payout.

90% of my work to p2pool is discarded work or rejected shares, because of the 10 second long polling. I still have been making far > 110% PPS and AFAIK no public pool can touch that anymore.
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:47:35 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2012, 07:03:43 PM by maqifrnswa

Pool stale rate was 20-30% for a long time, miners were getting 10% rejects from the pool, yet we kept getting blocks and getting paid.  What can I say, other than go p2pool.

This is 100% incorrect. It is a mathematical truth that you will receive more BTC mining p2pool with its internal 10% rejects than you would a pool with a 2% fee if you have an average p2pool node. This is because the 10% "rejects" p2pool reports are internal share rejects in the p2pool network that has nothing to do with BTC production.

p2pool has it's own blockchain independent of BTC's blockchain. p2pool's blockchain finds a block every 10 seconds, and therefore, because of network latency, explains a ~10% chance of collision/orphans in p2pool's blockchain. That does not mean that 10% of p2pool's BTC blocks being rejected.

As long as you have a health node, you will see ~10% rejection rate of internal p2pool shares, but the overall orphan rate of p2pool is always identical to the BTC network orphan rate (~1%).

Example:
Two miners hash in a fee pool and in p2pool. Miner A hashes at 100 GH/s, Miner B hashes at 200 GH/s. Both pools find a block at the exact same rate. block reward is 25 BTC and there are .3 BTC of fees. Ignoring the BTC-wide orphan rate of ~1% but considering the p2pool internal share orphan rate of 10%

Fee Pool:
total reward: 25.3 BTC-0.3BTC-.5BTC=24.5
Miner A= 100GH/s divided by (total hash speed)*reward = 8.2 BTC
Miner B = 16.3 BTC

p2pool
total reward: 25.3 BTC
Miner A = 100 GH/s*10% divided by (total hash speed * 10%) = 8.4 BTC
Miner B = 16.9 BTC

in reality, all payouts are also smaller (on average) by 1% to include the affect of the internal BTC orphan rate which is impossible to get around.
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:16:47 AM

The others explained it much better than I could.  What I said was true, if you stuck with it during the rough periods, you still got the normal full payout. 

M

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: