Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:46:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 0.3.22 still doesn't load on 64-bit Linux Mint  (Read 2362 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:28:48 AM

Linux Mint is the #2 distro in the Linux world. It is also basically the same OS as Ubuntu, which is the #1 distro.

So we're not talking about a fringe distribution, or that it's me alone suffering this problem.

Here is what happens when I launch the latest version on my fresh install of 64-bit Linux Mint (v. 11)

g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

** (bitcoin:7707): WARNING **: Unable to create Ubuntu Menu Proxy: The connection is closed

(bitcoin:7707): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

(bitcoin:7707): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus: The connection is closed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
scottk

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:36:35 PM

Where'd you get that stat? How do you know how many people use Linux Mint? Is there some sort of empirical evidence? And how do you know it's not only you?

I run Ubuntu x64 and it works just fine for me.

What window manager?
Did you get any warnings during compile?
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 02:57:26 PM

Yes, the evidence is quite empirical, thank you very much.

Go to www.distrowatch.com and look at the sidebar on the right. It lists the popularity of the various Linux distributions. Ubuntu is #1, Mint is #2. And even better, Mint is compatible with Ubuntu. My system accesses the latest Ubuntu repositories for software.

And searching around on the Net, you can see that it's true as well. Find a discussion about Linux, and usually it's Ubuntu or Mint. You don't hear nearly as much about Fedora/Red Hat these days like you did in the late 90's/early 00's (yes, I've been involved in Linux that long!)

I'm not actually compiling the client (maybe I should try?). I'm using the binaries that come with it in the "bin" folder.

Matthew
David Armstrong

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 05:56:14 PM

Hi,

I was seeing this problem as well on Ubuntu 11.04.  You can workaround by disabling unity and compiz, or there is a patch that can be applied to wxwidgets (see my other post here http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15895.0 for details).

Alternatively, you could install a pre-built ubuntu package from my ppa here: https://launchpad.net/~stretch/+archive/bitcoin - I have included the workaround patch in that repository.  See also my forum post announcing the ppa packages http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=2623.0

Please let me know how you get on with this.

thanks,
David.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: