Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:31:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EARN Crypto NOW with Storj DriveShare  (Read 2880 times)
allgoodthings1 (OP)

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:33:29 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2015, 09:33:37 PM by allgoodthings1

Finally! - It Works!

Storj finally has an easy on-ramp to start renting out your extra drive space – and be paid for it!  I set up version 0.4.1 of DriveShare a couple of days ago on my Windows 7 computer; and, by every metric I know to test for, it's working splendidly.  I have it set up to use the available space I have on my native C: drive, as well as my external F: drive.

Here's the announcement for the new GUI: http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=edba9fc4ce8b9095a31859cba&id=a2ba97e856

Downloads are available on GibHub: https://github.com/Storj/driveshare-gui/releases Be sure to get the latest version for your machine.

And here's the Storj web site: http://storj.io/

Storj is using their colored coin SJCX for rent earnings and payouts. You can exchange those for bitcoin at ShapeShift: https://shapeshift.io/

If you don't have a Counterparty wallet and don't want to mess with getting an SJCX address just to test the software, you're welcome to use mine to get you going. 12BoxGmEKUkLhHtc9qkxj2QC2MhZcff61A  As soon as you're ready, you can get your own address and start collecting some coin in your own account.

EDIT: I just installed version 0.4.2 on my Linux Mint 17 computer; and it, too, seems to be running well.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:46:42 PM

Finally! - It Works!

Storj finally has an easy on-ramp to start renting out your extra drive space – and be paid for it!  I set up version 0.4.1 of DriveShare a couple of days ago on my Windows 7 computer; and, by every metric I know to test for, it's working splendidly.  I have it set up to use the available space I have on my native C: drive, as well as my external F: drive.

Here's the announcement for the new GUI: http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=edba9fc4ce8b9095a31859cba&id=a2ba97e856

Downloads are available on GibHub: https://github.com/Storj/driveshare-gui/releases Be sure to get the latest version for your machine.

And here's the Storj web site: http://storj.io/

Storj is using their colored coin SJCX for rent earnings and payouts. You can exchange those for bitcoin at ShapeShift: https://shapeshift.io/

If you don't have a Counterparty wallet and don't want to mess with getting an SJCX address just to test the software, you're welcome to use mine to get you going. 12BoxGmEKUkLhHtc9qkxj2QC2MhZcff61A  As soon as you're ready, you can get your own address and start collecting some coin in your own account.

Ahh Storj, I remember reading about it ages ago before I got tired of waiting. It's now out and working? well that's great news, but could you explain a bit how it works in terms of rewards/space? The more space you "rent", the more coins you get I guess. Well what kind of returns can you expect if you rent at 1GB/coins? I need to know this before I consider if it's worth the effort or not since I don't have much space left, and i would rather use it for Maidsafe when it comes out (also tired of waiting but I know it will eventually come).
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 07:04:16 PM

A sample of how much you would get for GB would be appreciated and make people consider it. It is easy to setup? I remember of a similar service that I quitted because I could not manage to setup it properly.

Cassey

Activity: 470

Better to have 100 friends than 100 rubles

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 07:11:07 PM

StorJ is in its 2nd Beta period now.  I've been following it for awhile and just started participating yesterday.  Until recently it was hard to get setup (you had to be part of the original crowdsourcing effort), but now between Counterwallet.io and exchanges like poloniex.com its fairly easy.

1)  Go to Driveshare.org and grab the app.

2)  Go to Counterwallet.io and generate an address.

If you just want to fool around, just launch the app, insert your counterwallet address, allocate some space through it, and let it run.  (actually, they don't currently validity check the address, so anything will do).

If you want to earn some SJCX, then it is a little bit more complicated:

First:  you need to use a valid address.

Next:  The beta period itself is not renting out space, but is rewarding contributing members with SJCX.  By "Contributing" it means you have at least 10,000 SJCX associated with your address.  Spot-checking Poloniex as I write this, that is about 0.3 BTC worth.

So... you would need to buy 10k of SJCX at your favorite exchange and deposit that on your counterwallet.io address.
You also need to deposit a small (0.01 BTC is way more than enough) amount of BTC on your counterwallet.io address.  Since counterwallet rides on the bitcoin blockchain, just send your counterwallet address that BTC from you wallet.  That BTC dust will be used to pay bitcoin transaction fees (presumably only when sending SJCX, but that is unclear)

It is my understanding that you can associate upwards of 25TB with any individual counterwallet address, but rumors are that will drop to 10TB (not sure why).

Note that space can be allocated through a number of "drives", with each drive referencing a folder on your machine.  You can even use network folders, like \\fileserver\myspace, if you wish  - but this is pretty inefficient.  I've been testing an 8TB segment over on my fileserver and I see my network card spike every 7-10 seconds to max speed.  Running a 2TB local segment shows no such activity.

Also note that during the original population of your allocated space (which takes some serious time), the software will eat a good fraction of a modern core and all of an older one.

Cassey
Cassey

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 08:25:13 PM

Everything on your hard drive is encrypted.  That should help I would imagine.

Also, at this point in time, there is NO user data being hosted, just test files.

Cassey
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 11:05:34 PM

Too nervous someone would be hosting terrible super illegal stuff on my harddrive, I will sit this one out for a little bit.

I remember when I learn about freenet which is like some sort of archaic decentralized internet where everyone is a node and hosts random files from other people in your hard drive, I made the same decision. Too paranoid to hosts people's random stuff even if encrypted, I don't want anything illegal in my computer.
bhokor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 01:22:40 AM

i will join when they end the infinite beta, i think the code is ready for public launch, i really dont know what are they waiting for
Cassey

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:01:12 AM

Just my sense... but believe they are now working on usability features vs. raw functionality.  There is still some work to do there.

A couple of examples:  The Windows GUI does not register itself, nor restart after a reboot.  It also doesn't sanity check the entered Counterwallet address to make sure its valid.
For linux users, there is some little cleanups, like adding the --workers= parameter into the internal help.

However, I think the real reason is that they simply wanted to test using higher volumes of data.  They are now up to 1.7PB, which was a landmark for them.  Nothing worse than launching a system and having it die unexpectedly due to its own success.  Better to be sure it can scale.

Cassey
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:56:26 AM

so to become a storage peer.. instead of receiving funds you need to hand over atleast $150

lol.. right!!!

the storj altcoins should be given away for free..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cassey

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:47:00 AM

Kindof.  Its very easy to transfer funds both ways.  If I got tired of testing, I could move my 10K over to Poloniex and sell it.  I'd be at the mercy of market whims of course.

Cassey
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:57:25 AM

Kindof.  Its very easy to transfer funds both ways.  If I got tired of testing, I could move my 10K over to Poloniex and sell it.  I'd be at the mercy of market whims of course.

but the title says earn crypto... lol title should read "deposit crypto to test beta"

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cassey

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 05:36:46 AM

Can't argue that... alas I didn't start the thread.

Or at least "Deposit crypto to earn a bit more crypto".  Still trying to figure out what my TB's are going to earn during the Beta... I know I should earn some more SJCX, but unclear if that is 100, 1, or 0.001.

Cassey
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:07:03 AM

Can't argue that... alas I didn't start the thread.

Or at least "Deposit crypto to earn a bit more crypto".  Still trying to figure out what my TB's are going to earn during the Beta... I know I should earn some more SJCX, but unclear if that is 100, 1, or 0.001.

be warned, price might be 0.3btc for 10,000.. but they may ask you to beta test for X days to receive reward.. right when the price tanks,

its happened before on different projects. and might be worth testing on a system that doesnt have your bitcoin's wallet.dat.. just to be sure

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:19:42 AM

It's dangerous, people could host ilegal/dangerous files & we could get into trouble because it. Also, i'm sure if it's secure enough, people who rent their drives could try to crack/access the files Roll Eyes
I still prefer to store my files (and encrypt it) at cloud storage than host my files to unknown people.

cloud storage=unknown people
unknown people=cloud storage

'cloud' is just the post millennia branding of remote storage..

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:43:12 AM

It's dangerous, people could host ilegal/dangerous files & we could get into trouble because it. Also, i'm sure if it's secure enough, people who rent their drives could try to crack/access the files Roll Eyes
I still prefer to store my files (and encrypt it) at cloud storage than host my files to unknown people.

cloud storage=unknown people
unknown people=cloud storage

'cloud' is just the post millennia branding of remote storage..

Yeah, the thing is, is that there has to be finite proof of what people are going to be getting into with this sort of thing. There has been this kind of idea going around now with new projects that people like you will pay for hosters to seed certain things using their hardware and bandwidth... this could be problematic for people wanting to remain safe and unreliable for people using it. So how can you guarantee us that our shit won't be a site for illegal and sketchy activity taken place?

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:50:28 AM

crypto is causing an incredible burst of innovation,

the fiat system could have only dreamed of

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 07:10:31 AM

i will mine this right after im done mining ETH   Wink

EDIT : unless some other coin come up with better profitability

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
Cassey

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:21:40 PM

Actually, you can't "mine" SJCX in the traditional sense of the word, although you can trade it - which is a lot more than you can do with a lot of alt-coins.

Regarding being "safe" by storing on the cloud vs. via this method, well:

This method is new, so has inherent risk (like developers getting bored and leaving the project half done).

"the cloud" is hardly safe.  Office 365 from Microsoft backs your e-mail up over in China because its cheaper there.  You don't think the Chinese are trying their best to hack those e-mails?  Suggest reading the fine print and seeing just where your cloud data is replicated.  I have international clients who won't use any cloud where some of the data is stored in the USA out of fear of US Government access...

Cassey
Cassey

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:05:41 PM

A sample of how much you would get for GB would be appreciated and make people consider it. It is easy to setup? I remember of a similar service that I quitted because I could not manage to setup it properly.

Per the chat board last night, it looks like payouts are done manually once every couple of weeks, from the pool of coins originally defined.  Presumably that will be done based on storage being tested and time that storage was online.  That said, clearly this is not a "get rich quick" scheme, and you shouldn't expect to run for an hour and see deposits.

Heard there was some type of chat-with-the-developers scheduled for tonight (Thursday, Dec. 17th), so we may learn more then.

Cassey
allgoodthings1 (OP)

Activity: 270

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:51:10 PM

Per the chat board last night...
Thanks so much for all you've contributed to this discussion!  I appreciate your being in contact with the project -- much more that I am, really.  The online documentation for the project has come along nicely, but of course it still doesn't address a lot of questions.

One I'd really like to know about for sure.. is whether at this stage of development, one has to deposit the 10k of SJCX to get any payouts for running DriveShare.  I rather understood that the 10k deposit requirement was for doing earlier beta testing, but that it's not the case now for those that might download and start running the new GUI I referenced at the outset.

I did put a few coins in my SJCX wallet on Counterparty, and my GUI on both platforms does reference and show my balance in the wallet.  But I have nowhere near 10k coins there, and am a bit reluctant to load up that wallet now, if I don't have to.  But I would like to get paid -- whatever the small payout might be, and however infrequently payouts are made -- so I would probably go ahead now and deposit the 10K, if that's still required.

Maybe you can make inquiry about this for me and others that are interested?  Thanks, again.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: