Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:10:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Home Network security issues  (Read 1147 times)
monkeyman38 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 10:00:14 PM

I want to start a rig with an S5, but my dad wants to know more about security issues with our home network. Does setting up a rig risk people getting access to our home network through the miner? And does the block have to get sent by a server that has access to our network or is it just being sent to the S5? I need to know more before I start.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 11:36:41 PM

I want to start a rig with an S5, but my dad wants to know more about security issues with our home network. Does setting up a rig risk people getting access to our home network through the miner? And does the block have to get sent by a server that has access to our network or is it just being sent to the S5? I need to know more before I start.

I huh.. What? Tongue

Everything goes through your router, so its your router's security you should be looking at. The miner is behind your router, just like your computer, so its not any different than any other device. The miner can't connect access your stuff unless you hack it in and even then, its not like its RDP. There's very limited access through the webgui.

And all the work your S5 will produce will be sent to a pool (hopefully). No block is sent to a S5 or anything of the sort in the first place.

If you come up with direct questions i or someone else will give you a direct answer.

Also Stock S5 is LOUD.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Wheaties466

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 08:20:36 PM

I huh.. What? Tongue

Everything goes through your router, so its your router's security you should be looking at. The miner is behind your router, just like your computer, so its not any different than any other device. The miner can't connect access your stuff unless you hack it in and even then, its not like its RDP. There's very limited access through the webgui.

And all the work your S5 will produce will be sent to a pool (hopefully). No block is sent to a S5 or anything of the sort in the first place.

If you come up with direct questions i or someone else will give you a direct answer.

Also Stock S5 is LOUD.

for all intents and purposes no the antminer s5 presents no extra security risk than you already had. I had a bunch extra written about firewalls but decided not to post. If you have any additional questions please post.
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 09:56:08 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2015, 10:15:14 PM by MCHouston

If you are pool mining. No security issues.  You are opening an outbound connection to a pool for getting and submitted work.

If you are solo mining to your own Bitcoin node, that is a different story.

Just as an FYI. I am a Senior Network Security Engineer. I am keeping my answer simple for your sake.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
gerald-80

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:03:48 PM

Seems like no one didnt get your question yet. I dont see why you are concerned about your home network security at home. Since most of the miners are only interested in harvesting more n more bitcoins no one didnt even think for a sec if the mining hardware compromises their own network security.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:29:02 PM

Seems like no one didnt get your question yet. I dont see why you are concerned about your home network security at home. Since most of the miners are only interested in harvesting more n more bitcoins no one didnt even think for a sec if the mining hardware compromises their own network security.

Because its not impossible, if he solo mine on his own node and he does not configure it properly. Its possible to allow incoming connection to actually run it like a Node. At that point people can get his IP and try to find a way in.

As such, it is possible to improve the security against such attack.

If he instead mine to let say ck's solo pool, then his IP is only revealed to ck, it would make it hard to know where the miners are in the first place.

The whole thing is so unlikely, to be honest.

The one time i saw it happen, someone left his network wide open (no router password for dropbear port) and got some BTC stolen(also no password encrypted wallet).

That would of been avoided if he changed his dropbear port and put a strong password(a weak one would of probably worked fine too) or just disabled it. Or you know, put a password on his wallet, the theft attempt would of been thwarted there, the attacker would need to be crafty to get the BTC out of that person's wallet.

This tends to happen to people that think "Can't happen to me."

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
gerald-80

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:40:16 PM

No password encrypted wallet for a miner was asking like "shut up and take my money!"
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:43:37 PM

No password encrypted wallet for a miner was asking like "shut up and take my money!"

Yes, and he probably went around on IRC telling people "Hah this shit will never happened to me. I dont even need to lock my shit". Definitively the best way to get hacked; Go blab on public IRC crypto channel. That person was rather vocal, so i would not be surprised if thats what happened in the untold part of his story.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
monkeyman38 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 04:12:58 AM

Thanks guys, starting my rig after Christmas! Btw, the S5 would go in my furnace room and no one sleeps in the basement so it shouldn't be a big deal. Appreciate the help guys.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 05:56:10 AM

Thanks guys, starting my rig after Christmas! Btw, the S5 would go in my furnace room and no one sleeps in the basement so it shouldn't be a big deal. Appreciate the help guys.

I doubt 1 S5 will make a huge difference, they do run hot and loud.  It's just their nature.   But if you grow I'm not sure if furnace room is greatest of room's.

Depends on how well it's insulated  i guess.  But normally with gear you keep it far away from sources of heat.  But again since talking 1.. can get away with it most likely.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 07:07:18 PM

I doubt 1 S5 will make a huge difference, they do run hot and loud.  It's just their nature.   But if you grow I'm not sure if furnace room is greatest of room's.

Depends on how well it's insulated  i guess.  But normally with gear you keep it far away from sources of heat.  But again since talking 1.. can get away with it most likely.

Guess it depend how much air the furnace room move. If its stale, it would be very bad for miners.

Just a handful of S4 is like having a couples of oven turned on 24/7 with their oven door opened.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 11:38:05 PM

I doubt 1 S5 will make a huge difference, they do run hot and loud.  It's just their nature.   But if you grow I'm not sure if furnace room is greatest of room's.

Depends on how well it's insulated  i guess.  But normally with gear you keep it far away from sources of heat.  But again since talking 1.. can get away with it most likely.

Guess it depend how much air the furnace room move. If its stale, it would be very bad for miners.

Just a handful of S4 is like having a couples of oven turned on 24/7 with their oven door opened.

Very true it would depend I'm just basing it off my furnace room.  (I have never ran miners in it).  But if his has bad isulation and get's hot... yes it is not good.

But hes also using only one miner so not thousands of watts.  A handful of S4's is a lot more watts then 1 S5.   So had to tell.  But my first choice would not be a furnace room either.
monkeyman38 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:41:40 AM

Very true it would depend I'm just basing it off my furnace room.  (I have never ran miners in it).  But if his has bad isulation and get's hot... yes it is not good.

But hes also using only one miner so not thousands of watts.  A handful of S4's is a lot more watts then 1 S5.   So had to tell.  But my first choice would not be a furnace room either.

Ok so where would be the best place to put one. I live in S MN, so it gets pretty cold in the winter. Would a garage or shed with power and internet work?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:54:25 AM

Ok so where would be the best place to put one. I live in S MN, so it gets pretty cold in the winter. Would a garage or shed with power and internet work?

Yes, depending on how much hardware you put in there. A miner or two, no problem. If you put more, it does not matter if its summer or winter, you will need airflow into and out of whatever room you put it in.

If you took the output of the miner and put it in your heating vents, you could heat your place with your miner's exhaust. In this case it would be okay to have them in the furnace room.

But if the heat is dumped in the same room as the miner, its not going to work for very long.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 07:16:07 PM

We need to know about shed and garage.  For example if they are safe from the elements.   

But honestly if just 1 S5 it won't matter to much and both should work as long as safe from elements.  Winter will really help you out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: