Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 06:21:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you have your paper wallet in printed form with you?  (Read 1106 times)
delliaerd

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:01:30 PM

No, i didn't have printed address bitcoin. I can copy it from my email

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:15:09 PM

The first time I just didn't print my paper wallet I didn't knew what it was.
My paper is secure where water and fira can come in.
BowYang

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:07:49 PM

I dont have a paper wallet, mainly because i dont posess lots of BTC, so i just keep them on my computer.
jackjjohnson

Activity: 19
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:26:25 PM

I generate keys offline, they have never touched the internet/email/any web site. I create an encrypted partition on a bootable Linux USB key, with a 25 character password. My wife knows the password as well, so if I have a stroke, or die in a crash all is not lost. It would take several lifetimes to brute force the password, but it's a phrase that is easy for my wife and I to remember.

Rather than have "The One That Is Very Important", I have a dozen of them. One at my parents, one in my vehicle, one in my desk at work, one in safe deposit box, one with friends. They are all identical copies.

Inside the encrypted partition is a directory blatantly named "Bitcoin". I have public/private keys in a text file. I also have QR codes for each, generated/stored in there as well.

Because it's a bootable USB stick, when I boot to it in Linux, I am completely free from any possibility of Windows malware/keylogger/screenshot that could be present in the host PC.

Since I consider this a very secure environment, I also store other important things. I scanned the contents of my wallet. I have copies of my insurance, mortgage, paycheck stubs, eyeglasses prescription, I have exported my phone/PC contact lists, saved all my bookmarks. I have a huge zip file of important/personal family photos.

If I just did this on one USB stick, I would very probably run it through the laundry. With redundant off-site copies, I don't care if I lose one, or it gets destroyed.
delliaerd

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 10:47:32 PM

I dont have a paper wallet, mainly because i dont posess lots of BTC, so i just keep them on my computer.

I totally agree with you. Nowadays i didn't need paper wallet to bitcoin. Because my wallet only there some dollars. Maybe in future i will need that printed paper wallet.

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 11:01:32 PM

I generate keys offline, they have never touched the internet/email/any web site. I create an encrypted partition on a bootable Linux USB key, with a 25 character password. My wife knows the password as well, so if I have a stroke, or die in a crash all is not lost. It would take several lifetimes to brute force the password, but it's a phrase that is easy for my wife and I to remember.

Rather than have "The One That Is Very Important", I have a dozen of them. One at my parents, one in my vehicle, one in my desk at work, one in safe deposit box, one with friends. They are all identical copies.

Inside the encrypted partition is a directory blatantly named "Bitcoin". I have public/private keys in a text file. I also have QR codes for each, generated/stored in there as well.

Because it's a bootable USB stick, when I boot to it in Linux, I am completely free from any possibility of Windows malware/keylogger/screenshot that could be present in the host PC.

Since I consider this a very secure environment, I also store other important things. I scanned the contents of my wallet. I have copies of my insurance, mortgage, paycheck stubs, eyeglasses prescription, I have exported my phone/PC contact lists, saved all my bookmarks. I have a huge zip file of important/personal family photos.

If I just did this on one USB stick, I would very probably run it through the laundry. With redundant off-site copies, I don't care if I lose one, or it gets destroyed.

That is a lot of work to achieve less security than you could have with a $20 Ledger HW.1 hardware wallet. At some point you will have to expose your private keys by importing into a wallet to spend. With the Ledger your private keys are never exposed.

ShrykeZ

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 11:06:22 PM

Print it out and keep it in a safe place, never going to keep in on my person.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 11:43:04 PM

Is this the safest way to store coin, as i think so.

This depends almost solely on your safety practices, not much on the storing method...

my paper wallet was from a live machine, printed off and no problems. im not confident that btc is widespread enough to have a common trojan targetting btc paper wallets.

First step to have issues, although I hope you don't have any.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: