Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:19:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need suggestions about buying an asic scrypt Miner.  (Read 15477 times)
papadrams (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 08:19:00 AM

Hey guys,
as the title says, i want to buy an asic scrypt miner. I am thinking on spending 800 euro for that.
Any suggestions on what i should buy?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bameras

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 11:28:05 AM

Do not buy scrypt miner. Those mining is very concentrated. The litecoin is controlled by small number of people. If you want to mine, mine something else.
papadrams (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 01:05:18 PM

I can understand you logic.. I would accept answers like "dont buy, you will lose money", but your argument is "dont buy because litecoin is concetrated"?
 Huh
rienelber

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 07:15:45 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2016, 08:16:28 PM by rienelber

quote author=papadrams link=topic=1292590.msg13276376#msg13276376 date=1450357518]
I can understand you logic.. I would accept answers like "dont buy, you will lose money", but your argument is "dont buy because litecoin is concetrated"?
 Huh
quote]

Concentration means a few people control the market and hence could "make evil" by manipulating the prices. I'm not sure it's the case for LTC though.
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 03:45:16 AM
Last edit: December 22, 2015, 03:30:53 PM by bit1

Do not buy scrypt miner. Those mining is very concentrated. The litecoin is controlled by small number of people. If you want to mine, mine something else.
 Huh

He means that almost of Litecoin mining  hashpower  is centralized unfortunately due to the high difficulty, If you buy a miner to mine Litecoins you probably you never will get your  investment on short time at least. On the case of Bitcoin is worst, Some peoples bet mining anothers coins but is the same thing. If the money is not a problem for you and you do this for fun only the history will be  different so you can do that you want, Otherwise If the latter is not the case first you need to do a lot of searching to begin.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:49:57 AM

A2 Terminators are commonly available, and tend to be good reliable Scrypt miners.

Litecoin might be more centralised than Bitcoin, but it's price and difficulty have also been a LOT more stable since the Litecoin block reward halfing.

The days of "get your investment on short time" are LONG gone for any cryptocoin.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 09:42:20 PM

Pretty much any new asic mining gear is unlikely to ROI at this point (particularly Scrypt miners) and that's even assuming uber-cheap electricity.

Unless you can find a reasonably priced 2nd hand unit and your willing to take a bit of a risk that the until will run flawlessly for you for the next year and a half your probably just better off taking that 800 Euro and buying and holding.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 08:15:05 AM

Most A2 (and most A1 units before them) have run without issues for years.
Probably the most reliable gear on the market at this point.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Rols

Activity: 636
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 12:14:19 AM

Scrypt mining is not profitable. At the moment you get less than 9000 satoshi per day for 1 MH/s. Visiting  some faucets would give much more than that. Even if you buy some cheap hardware the electricity cost will be higher. If you buy something then start with something small and cheap and jut mine for the fun of it.
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2842
Merit: 575

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 09:09:47 AM

Scrypt ASIC mining is controlled by small number of miners or manufacturers. They can manipulate the price easily.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:31:25 PM

Scrypt mining is not profitable.

Odd, I'm making more out of my current Scrypt mining setup than out of my Bitcoin mining setup - with an almost identical investment into both setups.
 I also anticipate making a LOT more over time out of the Scrypt miners, as my Bitcoin gear is starting to get kinda marginal for making ANY profit at all.

There's a REASON I'm trying to sell off my Bitcoin mining gear - it's the only prayer I have of ever achieving RoI on the stuff. even though it's NEWER gear than the A2's I use on Scrypt.

Bameras

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 12:18:59 PM

Huh

Concentration means a few people control the market and hence could "make evil" by manipulating the prices. I'm not sure it's the case for LTC though.

That is what I meant. I used to GPU mine litecoin a lot. I stopped mining litecoin and other scrypt coins after the ASIC comes out.
galacticpilgrim

Activity: 163

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 12:50:55 AM

Odd, I'm making more out of my current Scrypt mining setup than out of my Bitcoin mining setup - with an almost identical investment into both setups.
 I also anticipate making a LOT more over time out of the Scrypt miners, as my Bitcoin gear is starting to get kinda marginal for making ANY profit at all.

There's a REASON I'm trying to sell off my Bitcoin mining gear - it's the only prayer I have of ever achieving RoI on the stuff. even though it's NEWER gear than the A2's I use on Scrypt.

Do you mind elaborating on your setup and what you mine?
Liquid71

Activity: 835

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 01:04:32 AM

no new scrypt asic miners are being made, that should tell you something about the future of scrypt.

Charlie Lee the creator of LTC said after the reward halving when the hashrate didn't drop it was because of Chinese mining farms with free electric. Do you have free electric? If not how will you compete?

All decent scrypt coins left scrypt for GPU friendly algo which keeps the blockchain more distributed and secure. The GPU is also never becomes so obsolete it's worth nothing but a door stop, unlike ASICS, that is unless you have unlimited free electric.

LTC is dead, buy a BTC asic or a GPU. I have an avalon Bitcoin asic which is easy to setup and use, free heat, and if you really think LTC is the way to go mine BTC and use the BTC to buy LTC ( and watch LTC drop and become a bagholder but that's just my opinion based on the facts I'm aware of)

BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 04:16:30 PM

Hey guys,
as the title says, i want to buy an asic scrypt miner. I am thinking on spending 800 euro for that.
Any suggestions on what i should buy?

With 800€ I guess you can buy a KNC scrypt miner. This miner does away with 110 MHS and I guess you can find one at those prices.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 04:39:45 PM

Why don't you try to find a good miner here in the forum in the mining section=?
tittiecoiner

Activity: 224

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 06:49:26 PM

Why don't you try to find a good miner here in the forum in the mining section=?

I think this section would suit better
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=75.0

Additionally, you can check the local sections of bitcointalk (some have dedicated sell/buy threads)

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 10:23:04 AM

Do you mind elaborating on your setup and what you mine?

Currently have 5 A2 units, 4 of them 110 Megas the other an 88, mining Litecoin.
 Currently have 5 Antminer S5 and a Spondoolies SP20, but just sold one of the S5s (will be shipping it out later today) and working on selling the rest of that gear.

Investment in the Bitcoin gear (not counting power supplies, which I can recycle to next-gen gear) was about $3600.
 Investment in the Litecoin gear was about $3700, though I had to replace one power supply in one of the A2 Megas which added about $200 for a good Seasonic X1250 unit bringing the total in the Litecoin gear to about $3900.

I consistantly bring in a little more than 4 Litecoin a day over the last 2 months (appx. $14 at recent pricing) with small variation due to the diff bouncing around a little.
 Bitcoin is somewhat more variable but has been averaging about 4 days to generate 0.1 Bitcoin over the last couple weeks (about $45 at recent pricing) but the last diff increase will drop that about 10%.

While the KNC Titan is the most efficient Scrypt miner in existance right now, the reliability on those things tends to be VERY problematical - many many reports of cores DYING even when not overclocked.
 I'd definitely go for an A2 unit over a Titan even though the A2 is somewhat less efficient.
 The Alcheminer 256 is almost identical efficiency to the A2, I'd consider getting one of those if the price/MH was comparable or less AFTER including the cost of the power supplies to run the unit.

There are *2* companies that have announced they are working on next generation Scrypt miners - Innosilicon and Alcheminer.
 The Innosilicon project is quite a bit further along, and while both companies have good records of actually delivering hardware Innosilicon has a better record on that score.

Technically, SFARDS still has that SF100 dual-miner thing of theirs supposedly available, but it's not actually been buyable (except PERHAPS for large industrial-scale purchaces) for quite a few months now.

Chinese mining farms do NOT have "free" electric, though most of them seem to have VERY VERY CHEAP electric.
 The hashrate didn't drop because most of the hashpower is on A2 units THAT ARE STILL PROFITABLE EVEN WITH NOT ALL THAT CHEAP ELECTRIC.
 The A2 will still be profitable if you have 3c/KWH or cheaper electric even if the hashrate tripled (it would be break-even at appx. 4x the current hashrate) as long as pricing on Litecoin stays in the post-halfing $3+ range.

This is a very BAD time to invest in SHA256 ASIC hardware - the probability of ANY of the currently-available gear ever achieving RoI is pretty much zero, unless you have VERY VERY cheap electric and even then it's iffy. I'd WAIT 2-3 months for the next gen gear to start hitting the market on anything SHA256-based.

Liquid71

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 03:08:51 AM

Buy an avalon 6 and mine Bitcoin and if you really think LTC has a future use the BTC to buy shitcoin, I mean litecoin. You'll get more LTC than you will with obsolete scrypt miners which aren't even being made anymore..cause scrypt is, well dead.

Liquid71

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 03:12:26 AM

Chinese mining farms do NOT have "free" electric, though most of them seem to have VERY VERY CHEAP electric.
 The hashrate didn't drop because most of the hashpower is on A2 units THAT ARE STILL PROFITABLE EVEN WITH NOT ALL THAT CHEAP ELECTRIC.
 The A2 will still be profitable if you have 3c/KWH or cheaper electric even if the hashrate tripled (it would be break-even at appx. 4x the current hashrate) as long as pricing on Litecoin stays in the post-halfing $3+ range.

Why don't you inform Charlie Lee about that, since he claimed it on Reddit. Also the reason they have free electric is because the dams china over built are way out in rural areas with little demand. So rather than let it go to waste the farms are built near the dams and get it free.

If you think scrypt asics released over a year ago are going to ROI but current Bitcoin asics are already obsolete you're insane...but then again you believe in litecoin so that's to be expected. Just surprised you are contradicting what litecoins creator said about the chinese farms with free electric controlling the blockchain...but hey facts are to be ignored when you're a bagholder of a dead shitcoin.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: