Bitcoin Forum
July 09, 2024, 05:35:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum to go up or down?  (Read 30753 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 02:58:40 AM

Are you saying ETH was a custerfuck when it comes to funding?  Because that sounds to me like nothing other than sour grapes.

No, I meant the entire process from the fundraising to the time they (pretty much) ran out of money with a late release satisfying few of the stated objectives. The fundraising itself went fine, as far as I could tell. They did abort once, reorganize and start over, but not really a disaster in that.
box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 05:36:27 AM

People are stealing ETH tech... so how is buying the coin a smart move right now.... other than stealing their tech, limited speculation and limited commerce.....

ethereum is like a programming language that sits on top of the blockchain, but what stops someone from cloning ethereum and then just copying every single user created smart contract code into their platform and make it cheaper?

aside from ethereum the platform being valuable, it depends on devs creating DAPPS inside the ethereum platform. and since the blockchain has to be transparent in nature, there's nothing stopping from someone else stealing someone elses hardwork in a dapp. once someone creates a dapp that is profitable, there will be many copy cats of it thats for sure. the lure of the smell of profits....
I see your point, but I don't completely agree with your reasoning. The same could be said about Bitcoin and Litecoin, but no one has been able to replicate their success for an extended period of time. Ethereum has garnered a network effect of its own as far as being the platform to build on when it comes to decentralized programming languages. It has also collected many interested developers and projects.

Cloning its features does not automatically equal success. In fact, there are several coins that have implemented decentralized programming languages and have had little success, such as Crypti or all the coins that implemented automated transactions.

I am not saying it's a good buy right now.. it has been pumped hard for two or three weeks. I did not participate in the IPO and have not bought any coins. I expect the price to come back down to earth eventually before purchasing. I buy and hold for long periods of time and am not interested in gambling to see if I can buy and sell before it comes back down.

thats true you make a point with the other platforms like Crypti. it is the network affect that can potentially get ethereum to the mass developers. we all agree that you can't just copy a coin and expect the same results. But in the case of ethereum, devs are creating their own dapp on top of their platform. the users of these dapps would care less about what's under pinning it. users are coming for the dapp and not for ethereum. this is why i believe once a dev makes money on a dapp, the copy cats will follow and just use something cheaper unless the dapp has that much of a network affect that no other competitor can jump in. i guess you can look at it like torrent sites, you have pirate bay at the top and then all the other small niche torrent sites. same goes for the silkroads of the darknet. the users dont care what these sites are made with, be it ruby, php, nodejs, etc. there's going to much room for others to jump on this bandwagon of profitable dapps when the time comes. this is why i believe nxt is a really good contender in the long run. ethereum is great and all, but i fear for the transparent devs on top that could be the target of government agencies. imagine some anonymous dev created a silkroad dapp on top of ethereum. can you imagine who they are going to point the finger at when the time comes... ethereum as a public figure head and nxt doesnt... satoshi was smart to stay anonymous. just imagine if the bitcoin blockchain hosted a silkroad marketplace that sold drugs, you'd think gavin and the rest of those guys would still want to work on core code? its not worth the risk to be transparent when that time comes. and its not if, but when it comes and which platform best suited for it. -- my 2 bits of opinion

Koamder

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:12:12 PM

Are you saying ETH was a custerfuck when it comes to funding?  Because that sounds to me like nothing other than sour grapes.

No, I meant the entire process from the fundraising to the time they (pretty much) ran out of money with a late release satisfying few of the stated objectives. The fundraising itself went fine, as far as I could tell. They did abort once, reorganize and start over, but not really a disaster in that.

Two month ago, there was projection of funding shortage for the Ethereum development. With the price rise, it is in better financial situation now.
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:45:33 PM

1ex is on 1ex.trade  Cool

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 08:34:17 AM

it is good idea to buy and hold at least some of it for the future, just in case. you can never know what will happen.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
davien

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 09:47:22 AM

People are stealing ETH tech... so how is buying the coin a smart move right now.... other than stealing their tech, limited speculation and limited commerce.....
Yeah but, one of the main purpose of these cryptos is that has to be Open Sourced. Once you publish a source around here you can be sure that some people will try clone it and getting rich with the backwind of the original coins reputation

WoJJ78

Activity: 168

ICONOMI enthousiast

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 11:23:24 AM

Interesting coin, very independent.
Koamder

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 09:16:33 PM

Yes. The banks are "stealing" the blockchain technology now. If they use it to cut the cost, maybe they will charge us less.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 10:03:00 PM

I guess the answer was up Smiley
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2016, 11:34:27 PM

Its what ive been telling everybody for months.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 11:45:23 PM

I still maintain the opinion that it will see all time lows sometime this year, but thus far you are correct.  Smiley
chokesir

Activity: 196

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 01:42:07 AM

The price has come up quite a bit now.
I am so happy i made sure to buy some ETH just a week ago. It got me quite some profit already.

davien

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 09:52:06 AM

I am so happy i made sure to buy some ETH just a week ago. It got me quite some profit already.
Approximately how much did you made from it?

stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 01:27:51 PM

I still maintain the opinion that it will see all time lows sometime this year, but thus far you are correct.  Smiley

'All time lows'. In your dreams lol. In your wildest fantasies.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
Koamder

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 08:26:20 PM

The price might rise in the near future, will you regret that you sold some to take profit?
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 09:15:58 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2016, 10:05:37 PM by TPTB_need_war

Ethereum is broken and can't be fixed:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1339648.msg13668336#msg13668336

Who cares. Chinese people don't need a working blockchain to pump a coin to jupiter  Grin

Because without fundamental value, then the winners of the P&D are not the greater fools (which includes the vast majority of readers). Someone has to lose for others to gain in P&D that doesn't actually create adoption, network efforts and fundamental value.

loki0505

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 10:22:17 PM

Ethereum is broken and can't be fixed:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1339648.msg13668336#msg13668336

Who cares. Chinese people don't need a working blockchain to pump a coin to jupiter  Grin

Because without fundamental value, then the winners of the P&D are not the greater fools (which includes the vast majority of readers). Someone has to lose for others to gain in P&D that doesn't actually create adoption, network efforts and fundamental value.

Reported for SPAMMING
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 10:51:20 PM

Reported for spamming.We dont care that you lost and sold SHORT.  Get over it!

Sorry bagholder. I never shorted that piece-of-shitcoin. Find a new excuse for your selling your shit to other greater fools in a zero-sum game with no long-term potential actual innovation and adoption network effects.

loki0505

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 11:07:17 PM

Reported for spamming.We dont care that you lost and sold SHORT.  Get over it!

Sorry bagholder. I never shorted that piece-of-shitcoin. Find a new excuse for your selling your shit to other greater fools in a zero-sum game with no long-term potential actual innovation and adoption network effects.

ok ur smarter then vitalik...so where's your coin or innovation attention seeker hater.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 11:45:31 PM

ok ur smarter then vitalik...

I never claimed that. I do claim I have more experience than him.

How butthurt are you? 

I am certainly not jealous of the insoluble technological quagmire that Vital et al are stuck in. They sold the future and were never able to solve the fundamental technological issues. I warned Charles about that when he was evaluating whether to join with Vitalik and launch Ethereum. Vitalik is a smart guy and they have some other smart guys. But they don't yet seem to realize that they can't solve the impossible. They are too young and inexperienced to see this. I am older with decades of experience so I can more readily detect when something is insoluble and need to move on to more plausible pastures. Which is precisely what I am doing.

You can speculate on how high the P&D will go, but just remember the majority must be bagholders in a coin which has no future means to expand the pie of adoption (due to technological clusterfuck).

I am not a hater. I respect the intellect of those devs working on Ethereum. I just have to be honest that they are stuck in a technological clusterfuck and are too deep in now to admit it to themselves. Eventually they will realize they failed. I even tried to save Monero from wasting more effort implementing RingCT and tried to convince them to look seriously at zk-snarks to see if that would solve the meta-data issue and also expand the utility from currency to simple scripts for RELIABLE privacy on PUBLIC block chains (especially important for corporations but maybe also for all commerce). I am trying to get them to think about real market strategies and not the "build it and they will come for unreliable anonymity" delusion.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: