Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:51:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoin enthusiasts are there?  (Read 1710 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 02:09:50 AM

How many?
10,000s?
100,000s?
1,000,000s?
10,000,000s?
Huh

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 02:17:03 AM

Probably fewer than 500.000. For now...

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:19:46 AM

Define enthusiast.

Is someone an enthusiast if they have a blockchain.info wallet, but have never owned more than a few fractions of a bitcoin from one of the faucets?

How about if they occasionally use bitcoin for purchases in a niche market, but nothing else?

If they have the reference client installed, but only run it when they want to make a tranasction?

If they use it, but have no understanding at all about how/why it works, and what it's benefits are?

What about someone who has a decent understanding about how it all works, but isn't interested in using it?

Perhaps someone who understands it well, and uses it for transactions, but doesn't contribute beyond that?

Someone who mines, and immediately sells for their local currency, but has no idea whay they are mining, or why it makes them money?

Does a person have to actually contribute programming skills to the project to be considered an "enthusiast"?
flatiron

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:23:05 AM

Define enthusiast.

Is someone an enthusiast if they have a blockchain.info wallet, but have never owned more than a few fractions of a bitcoin from one of the faucets?

How about if they occasionally use bitcoin for purchases in a niche market, but nothing else?

If they have the reference client installed, but only run it when they want to make a tranasction?

If they use it, but have no understanding at all about how/why it works, and what it's benefits are?

What about someone who has a decent understanding about how it all works, but isn't interested in using it?

Perhaps someone who understands it well, and uses it for transactions, but doesn't contribute beyond that?

Someone who mines, and immediately sells for their local currency, but has no idea whay they are mining, or why it makes them money?

Does a person have to actually contribute programming skills to the project to be considered an "enthusiast"?

I would limit it to people who supports or is in favor towards bitcoin
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:36:17 PM

Define enthusiast . . .
I would limit it to people who supports or is in favor towards bitcoin
Regardless of whether they've every used it or understand how it works?
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:12:46 PM

Hey, there are lots of non-programming things to do in the Bitcoin economy too!

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:15:15 PM

Hey, there are lots of non-programming things to do in the Bitcoin economy too!
Certainly, but that make one an "enthusiast" or just a user.  How enthusiastic do you have to be to be considered an "enthusiast".
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:22:50 PM

Only one that I can be certain of. All the rest of you might be illusions created by a demon to deceive me.

I Bit therefore I am.
greyhawk

Activity: 952

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:34:20 PM

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:40:25 PM

You have fallen for Atlas sockpuppets again.

Actually there are 5.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
greyhawk

Activity: 952

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 07:24:20 PM

You have fallen for Atlas sockpuppets again.

Actually there are 5.

I don't count Atlas as an enthusiast. He'd first have to understand something - anything - about Bitcoins. Maybe classify him as a "groupie".
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 07:29:36 PM

......less than 9 enthusiasts. Though the groupies runs in the thousands.Cheesy

In Cryptography we trust.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 07:33:16 PM

The answer is...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:05:29 PM

it is between 1 - 6,973,738,433 , lower-bound is not zero because I consider myself a enthusiast not sure about others
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 04:32:28 AM

I am sure there are at least 4

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:45:42 PM

Certainly, but that make one an "enthusiast" or just a user.  How enthusiastic do you have to be to be considered an "enthusiast".

Any enthusiasm at all would define one as an enthusiast, so I consider even the lowest level of bitcoin user an enthusiast.  There are probably better words to describe people who have a greater stake in the project overall.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: