Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:44:38 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So why are you guys interested in bitcoins?  (Read 1381 times)
Rayman65 (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:29:24 AM

I'm interested in them because of there anonymity.
marnie

Activity: 40

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:24:16 AM

Meet girls.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:24:42 AM

Shelter from endless FRN inflation tax.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:37:26 AM

Every transaction is completely public.  The fact that you personally are the one who has access to the private key necessary to engage in a particular transaction can be hidden making your part in the transaction anonymous, but depending on who you are trying to hide your activity from you have to make a significant effort to ensure that you don't accidentally reveal your connection to the transaction.
Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:04:06 AM

Every transaction is completely public.  The fact that you personally are the one who has access to the private key necessary to engage in a particular transaction can be hidden making your part in the transaction anonymous, but depending on who you are trying to hide your activity from you have to make a significant effort to ensure that you don't accidentally reveal your connection to the transaction.

This.

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
smallbits

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:30:37 AM

I'm in favor of any valuation in addition to fiat.  All fiat currency in the history of the world has eventually failed, the USD will be no exception.  Whether you hold value in fiat, commodities, bitcoins, or other, I believe diversity is best.
DanielleEber

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:24:56 PM

This is the third virtual currency I have been involved with, and I made money in the first two (Second Life Linden Dollars and Blue Mars Dollars), so exploring Bitcoin as another opportunity.  Grin
Glubble

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:33:11 PM

I read a few articles about it in magazines and felt instantly drawn to the idea, which seemed so elegant and clever. It also tingled my greed instinct. However my delusions of wealth have just been dashed on the rocks a few minutes ago in some other thread.
PlancksConstant

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:36:18 PM

currently mostly educational and academic, what an experiment!
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 02:38:59 PM

It's just something cool to be involved with, besides I need the occasional detraction from Tea Kwon Do, growing tobacco, shooting, learning how to reverse engineering software and the other stuff I do.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
xdrakx

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:44:32 PM

I have lots of free time on the computer and a need for something to fill my time and possible very small secondary income. If I can scrape up a few mBtc and start gambling with it or something it's possible for it to have a decent payout Tongue It's a gamble that probably wont work out, but at least it will have consumed some of my downtime lol
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:48:19 PM

Utility. It is the safest, simplest way to buy anything from anyone in the world. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:51:26 PM

bitcoin pushes the boundaries of what we thought were the limits of individual sovereignty.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
wdBTCtrader

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:04:38 PM

This is of course is the primary reason:

Meet girls.

The world was in need of  a ubiquitous currency for free trade in the global economy.  Sooner or later one was bound to show up. My thought would have been a World bank that would have fleeced the public just as the current institutions.    thankfully Bitcoins came into existence that is not controlled by the 1 factor that has corrupted every other previous institution and system, humans.  

Bitcoin is an untethered currency controlled by math that is fully transparent to the users.  The greatest thing about it being controlled by math is as my 3rd grade teacher taught.  Math is either right or wrong, and there is no grey area to be adulterated.
swhitelex

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 03:32:09 PM

I am mostly interested in bitcoin for the purpose of playing US Online poker. The Online poker industry as a whole has gone by the wayside since black friday of 2011. The online processors are shady. This allows for deposits and withdrawals to happen quickly.
cornflop

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:33:30 PM

Investment reasons. The new physical coins make it yet another collectible addiction to me  Grin
Glubble

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:48:43 PM

Utility. It is the safest, simplest way to buy anything from anyone in the world. 

I think this is a bit optimistic. Exchanging and managing bitcoins still requires the use of a computer and an internet connection, which makes it vulnerable compared to physical money from a established currency. Since it is still a very new currency there are also risks of the whole system crashing down due to unforeseen reasons.

However it's probably the easiest way to make anonymous payments.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:50:04 PM

To replace the fractional reserve system.

KernelFreak

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:52:47 PM

the community
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:33:55 PM

I think this is a bit optimistic. Exchanging and managing bitcoins still requires the use of a computer and an internet connection, which makes it vulnerable compared to physical money from a established currency. Since it is still a very new currency there are also risks of the whole system crashing down due to unforeseen reasons.

However it's probably the easiest way to make anonymous payments.
I hear what your saying and you may be right. But if one factors in the complexity of setting up an bank account and getting it linked to a credit card, then bitcoin may compare more favorably. Once your client is up and running, pulling he trigger on a purchase is easy.
When it comes to international sales I think bitcoin is even more powerful. I bought a food recipe from a student in China once. Can you imagine how difficult that would have been without bitcoin?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: