Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 11:17:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any speculators buying ASICs for altcoins?  (Read 2642 times)
FuzzyBear (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 10:41:06 AM

I was just wondering if anyone was considering buying say a Jal $150 for 3.5Ghash to throw at any of the alt coins?

I know it won't work for LTC as diff algos etc, but my understanding is that it will work for PPC and TRC and NMC etc.... for $150 that not much really to have a play on speculation that these coins may do very well.... I'm half tempted to go for it, but was wondering if anyone else thinking the same, or has thought the same and decided against it? and any reasons?

look forward to your replies Smiley have a great day all Cheesy

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 11:52:21 AM

I'll mine with my asics on bitparking when I get them so ya :-)

maxcarjuzaa

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:49:50 PM

I will love to see those butterfly fpga modified to mine LTC. I would buy at leas one for sure. Regarding mining an alt coin, only with merged mining. If you support an altcoin, a better way to support it is mining btc and then selling those btc for you favorite alt coin.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 07:37:34 PM

Someone should buy a mini rig at 1.5 TH/s and throw it at PPC.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Oh wait...i shouldn't have said anything...damn...there goes my idea  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 07:40:13 PM

Why not just find a merged-mining pool that supports the particular alt-chain you are wanting to mine and do both?
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 07:51:28 PM

I will love to see those butterfly fpga modified to mine LTC. I would buy at leas one for sure. Regarding mining an alt coin, only with merged mining. If you support an altcoin, a better way to support it is mining btc and then selling those btc for you favorite alt coin.

How would you modify a BFL FPGA to mine LTC?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 07:51:31 PM

Why not just find a merged-mining pool that supports the particular alt-chain you are wanting to mine and do both?

PPC is not setup to merge mine. You have to setup a checkpoint and all nodes need to download the updated client for merge mining.

Hence right now you can't merge mine with the current PPC chain.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

maxcarjuzaa

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:27:22 AM

no idea, I have no BFL FPGA. But i supouse BFL could do it, adding some ram, reprograming the fpga....
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 04:34:06 AM

no idea, I have no BFL FPGA. But i supouse BFL could do it, adding some ram, reprograming the fpga....

Pretty much you'd have to reprogram the FPGA, but that isn't a trivial task. Even for the simpler SHA-512 used by bitcoin it took time before people had it working.

Scrypt needs a lot of memory, but you can alleviate that to an extent by throwing more computing power at it. The thing is in the absence of the extra memory scrypt is designed to degrade in a way that becomes disproportionally more expensive in terms of additional calculations needed. You'd need a very expensive FPGA with a sizeable amount of onboard memory to make it worth even trying to begin programming it for scrypt.

A better bet if you are serious about LTC mining performance would probably be one of the new Tesla K20's from NVIDIA now that they've introduced an architecture to replace Fermi that doesn't suck for crypto. The problem is whether you are interested in committing $4,000 in hardware to LTC.

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 04:46:53 AM

Nah, the K20 will still be pretty slow.  It's designed mostly for DP FP ops and not integer ops.  It's actually still slower than a 7970 there, too.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 05:32:10 AM

Nah, the K20 will still be pretty slow.  It's designed mostly for DP FP ops and not integer ops.  It's actually still slower than a 7970 there, too.

Ah, I just looked at the core count and assumed.

FuzzyBear (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 07:45:43 AM

ok so yes people do seem ready to meerge mine btc with alt chains where possible,

and by the sounds of things ... BFL should start work on the LTC ASIC minirig Tongue

DryPowder

Activity: 144

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 02:03:21 PM

When i receive mines I will “tried” @ TRC, in fact I pre-order 1 RIG for BTC and the other one for ALT.

Keep Your Powder Dry
maxcarjuzaa

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 12:23:09 AM

Pretty much you'd have to reprogram the FPGA, but that isn't a trivial task. Even for the simpler SHA-512 used by bitcoin it took time before people had it working.

Scrypt needs a lot of memory, but you can alleviate that to an extent by throwing more computing power at it. The thing is in the absence of the extra memory scrypt is designed to degrade in a way that becomes disproportionally more expensive in terms of additional calculations needed. You'd need a very expensive FPGA with a sizeable amount of onboard memory to make it worth even trying to begin programming it for scrypt.

A better bet if you are serious about LTC mining performance would probably be one of the new Tesla K20's from NVIDIA now that they've introduced an architecture to replace Fermi that doesn't suck for crypto. The problem is whether you are interested in committing $4,000 in hardware to LTC.

All depends on ROI, hoy much Kh/s can I get from 1 k20? how much power consumption? if I can have my invesment back within a year, I would do it

mmmmm or maybe not, I like the idea of mining BTC to buy LTC. For a criptocurrency to success we need miners, we need excangers, we need pools and we need money inflow. So mining btc for LTC is money inflow.

Merchants are not really needed they are desired but not needed. I can not buy milk with gold or silver coins but i can sell my gold for fiat and buy the milk with fiat.

So if there are enough exchangers and market volume no matter if merchants accept it or not the currency will survive
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 12:32:28 AM

ok so yes people do seem ready to meerge mine btc with alt chains where possible,

and by the sounds of things ... BFL should start work on the LTC ASIC minirig Tongue

Bfl needs to figure out how to make a sha256 asic before it can do that.  An asic for ltc will probably cost a lot more to develop with a much smaller roi than for a sha256 asic (theyll probably only 2-3x more efficient and about as fast as video cards). Couple this with the fact that the ltc asic can only be used to mine ltc and you're looking at very little incentive to develop an ltc asic in the next year or two.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
pyra-proxy

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 05:58:08 AM

Bfl needs to figure out how to make a sha256 asic before it can do that.  An asic for ltc will probably cost a lot more to develop with a much smaller roi than for a sha256 asic (theyll probably only 2-3x more efficient and about as fast as video cards). Couple this with the fact that the ltc asic can only be used to mine ltc and you're looking at very little incentive to develop an ltc asic in the next year or two.

They should figure out how to upgrade BFL FPGA's to perform scrypt mining (and thusly LTC mining).... that seems like the cheapest option especially since they will be getting a lot of BFL FPGA's back in upgrade options.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

I will be buying for an ASIC for Terracoin.

more or less retired.
FuzzyBear (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 09:54:03 AM

I will be buying for an ASIC for Terracoin.

nice Smiley i think that could be a turning point for some of the alt chains then... ASIC will possibly have more effect on Altcoins than the block reward halving on BTC the other week

and yes I think a reprogram of the FPGA's to do LTC mining would be the way to go

Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 09:55:36 AM

Does anybody have a ASIC product hashing away ? ? ? ? ?

as of now or is it coming 2013

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 04:22:38 PM

They should figure out how to upgrade BFL FPGA's to perform scrypt mining (and thusly LTC mining).... that seems like the cheapest option especially since they will be getting a lot of BFL FPGA's back in upgrade options.

They will likely just be resold as spartan6 chips, you need all new boards with gddr5 in order to efficiently mine with scrypt

Code:
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: