Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 03:00:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any hope for a random guy with a normal computer?  (Read 957 times)
Glubble (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 12:24:20 PM

I got interested in bitcoin as a way to earn a little disposable income on the side and because I think it's a great and exciting idea that deserves more love. But after reading through the wiki and few posts on this site I feel like I've arrived too late and that I'm already out of the game. I've heard about the pools but even then the estimated profit of a few bucks per month probably translates into a loss if you substract the electricity costs.

So is it actually possible to get anything out of bitcoin if you're stuck with relatively low end hardware?

On an unrelated note, wouldn't it be possible for a corporation with enough computing power to completely take over the market and get all the blocks all the time?

Thanks for your help  Smiley
thirdlight

Activity: 445
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 12:53:11 PM

So is it actually possible to get anything out of bitcoin if you're stuck with relatively low end hardware?
Bitcoin has a lot more to offer than just mining.  Cheesy "with relatively low end hardware" you are only going to mine at a loss, so if you're *only* after money, mining probably isn't the route for you.

On an unrelated note, wouldn't it be possible for a corporation with enough computing power to completely take over the market and get all the blocks all the time?
Short answer: Yes, it's possible. However the bitcoin network dwarfs any current "supercomputer", and it would take quite an effort, and a lot of money to take over completely. Remember - if an entity was to match the current capacity, they would still only have half the network. If they doubled it, they would still only have 80%, and so on, tending to 100%.

Would bitcoin be used in its current form if one entity had exceeded 50% of the hashpower? Probably not. So the taking over entity would be spending more & more, getting closer & closer to total domination of something worth less & less. You would need a very compelling reason to set out on this path!

cornflop

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:14:51 PM

Its soon to be surpassed by other means of tech that will blow both GPU and CPU mining out of the water.

You could always look into litecoins  Wink
pistolslapper

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:41:20 PM

I understand CPU's are much slower than GPU''s but surely its really just a lottery. Am i right in saying you could start solo cpu mining and solve a block within 10 mins?
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:41:33 PM

You've definitely missed the 'free money' boat, but then so did most people here. There is still plenty of money to be made mining, but not off low end hardware. Bitcoin mining is shifting away from GPUs to custom chip ASIC technology. GPUs are shifting over to the alt coins, primarily litecoin. If you want to take up mining now, your best bet would be to either buy up one of the new ASIC miners, or to buy up a bunch of cheap GPU's from people selling their gear, and mine one of the alt coins.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:46:58 PM

You /could/ solve a block in 10 minutes, but the chances are very small.

You might become 100 years old and die before you successfully solo mine a block.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:49:38 PM

Bitcoins: Buy low, wait, sell high.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 02:11:16 PM

Probability of getting 25 BTC by solo mining on a CPU = almost 0
Probability of figuring out how to purchase 25 BTC = almost 1

Probability of making any profit by solo mining on a CPU in the next year = almost 0

Probability of making a profit on your 25 BTC purchase in the next year = pretty good.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DanielleEber

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:16:00 PM

I got interested in bitcoin as a way to earn a little disposable income on the side

I think you misunderstand what the Bitcoin network actually is.  It is a globally distributed account book keeping track of what balance each account number has.  Transactions are just requests to move a balance from one account to another.  "Mining" is just securing a set of transactions (a block) with cryptography so it is easy to prove the transaction history has not been tampered with.  Keeping the account books is a useful function.  Every bank and stock brokerage has to do it, so they know which accounts have what balance.  The Bitcoin network rewards people who do this useful function with a fresh balance that didn't come from another account.

But keeping the account books is not the only way to earn income, and in fact because it is so easy (it's automated, and requires no work on your part once you launch the software) it is very competitive.  In the long run you are better off doing something else which is not so easy, and therefore does not have every Tom, Dick, and Harry using their gaming rig GPU to do it.  Yes, doing something hard is actual work that takes actual effort, that is what "earning income" is.  Turning on mining software is about as hard as turning on a water faucet.  It's not actually work for you, and you can't expect to make free money doing it.
Glubble (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:24:29 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm amazed that BTC is already so passé that replacements are emerging. I guess I will venture into bitcoin purchase and speculation instead of mining, like KWH helpfully summarized.

Thirdlight, when you said that bitcoin has a lot more to offer, do you mean the intellectual satisfaction of participating in a movement or something else altogether?

DanielleEber : working for money??? That's an interesting concept  Grin
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:40:13 PM

Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 02:47:44 PM

yes its called a 51% attack. Fortunately it isnt in the interest of any free market institutions to attempt to do such a thing since it would cause a run and so the bitcoins they were able to generate with that control would have no value. Of course the worry is that a government or large corporation might attempt to do it for the sake of destroying bitcoin as a competitor. Fortunately the cost to do this is roughly proportionate to the general level of interest in bitcoin. So when it was cheap and easy to destroy bitcoin governments didnt bother since almost no one used them and as soon as they became more widely used the cost to destroy bitcoin became proportionately more expensive, this trend should continue at infinitum and with a little luck protect bitcoin into adult hood when it should eventually becomes totally un assailable.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
cornflop

Activity: 17

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:29:40 PM

Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme

Debatable
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:32:42 PM

It's like saying "gold is a get rich quick scheme"

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:21:50 PM

bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme but it has an enormous long term potential.

mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:13:26 PM

Your best bet to get BTC is to either buy them or offer a good/service for BTC. 

No, BTC isn't a get-rich-quick scheme nor is it about printing free money. Litecoin and all the other alt coins ARE just schemes full of people emo-sad that they aren't rich yet and are hoping to build that get rich scheme and once they do make another alt coin rinse repeat. Alt coins are NOT about creating a new economy the way BTC is.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:31:38 PM

I'm amazed that BTC is already so passé that replacements are emerging.
What...?

BTC is most definitely not passé. Au contraire! It's one of the most upcoming technological developments we're about to see. Stuff's gonna change bigtime Smiley

Thirdlight, when you said that bitcoin has a lot more to offer, do you mean the intellectual satisfaction of participating in a movement or something else altogether?
Well, freeing the world of banks and their unbridled greed and control, for instance.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
SlickTheNick

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 11:59:38 PM

Plenty of other ways to make money off bitcoins. Buy some and play the currency trade game. Sell off some of your stuff you have laying around in bitcoin, or offer some sort of service for btc. Start up a bitcoin related website, which could be pretty much anything imaginable. Use an existing site/service to earn coins

Looking for a way to get some bitcoins for free? Check out http://earnfreebitcoins.com !
Get easy bitcoins at  https://coincontroller.com?r=eaef398b5 !
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:16:33 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm amazed that BTC is already so passé that replacements are emerging.

It's still the dominant cryptocurrency by orders of magnitude. A lot of the alt-coins have collapsed rather quickly (see solidcoin), but litecoin has persisted even if it still trades for a small fraction of what BTC does.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3286

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 05:13:55 AM

Yes. Buy an ASIC and hook it up to the USB port of your relatively low end hardware.

If you don't want to wait for an ASIC, you can buy an FPGA right now and hook it up to your relatively low end hardware.

If you don't want to buy anything, then your GPU should be able to mine a small amount of bitcoin for the next couple months -- hopefully enough to pay the electricity cost.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: