Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 11:17:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay extra if you don´t want your self-driving Volvo to plow into pedestrians  (Read 1169 times)
galdur (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 04:40:11 PM

A video showing a car attempting to park but actually plowing into journalists might have resulted from the Volvo’s owner not paying an extra fee to have the car avoid pedestrians.

The video, taken in the Dominican Republic, shows a Volvo XC60 reversing itself, waiting, and then driving back into pedestrians at speed. The horrifying pictures went viral and were presumed to have resulted from a malfunction with the car — but the car might not have had the ability to recognise a human at all. ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/self-parking-volvo-plows-into-journalists-after-owner-neglects-to-pay-for-extra-feature-that-stops-10277203.html

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 05:13:23 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2015, 06:53:34 PM by Holliday

I don't care how buggy the software is, I'd trust a robot driver before I'd trust a human driver any day of the week.

Edit: That said, I'd want a conventional vehicle (or a way to completely disable the auto-pilot) set aside for my own personal use, should the need arise.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 07:30:35 PM

That accident was very viral in social media, i really do not trust self driving cars which are produced by Volvo or Tesla but i like the electricity system which is good for the environment. 
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:54:33 PM

Manual transmission FTW.

edit:

I just watched the video OMG LOL.
Laguna77

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:04:42 AM

I prefer to pay less, and buy a volvo without that stupid system. I can drive myself. I would be bored when i had a self driving car, i need to get my hands onto something. I only trust myself and not kind of software that claims it drives me everywere.
galdur (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:16:57 AM

Yeah, if it drives you everywhere it can probably be directed to drive you off a cliff or into a wall if it´s in
someone´s interest for some reason.

Laguna77

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:23:56 AM

That is what i mean.

What about bugs in the software? What about a car is driving after you and he hacks your software in your car. He could cause you real trouble. And we all know how vulnerable new software is.

One advice keep off your hands on self driving cars.
galdur (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:05:45 AM

Hacking automobiles is already very real. How many people have been killed that way is anybody´s guess.

Just last summer, over a million Jeeps had to be recalled after security experts were able to wirelessly control functions like acceleration, brakes, windscreen and radio, rendering the driver powerless. Actually they said  they could target hundreds of cars, and would post a tutorial detailing the hack. Don´t know how that went.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 1373

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:08:56 AM

Send Volvo to Mexico or Colombia. Should fit right in there.    Cheesy

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
galdur (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:16:26 AM

Fact: crazy or idiotic (or both) car manufacturers install entertainment and information systems that are also  connected to the engine and brakes. So, buyer beware.

subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 02:29:16 AM

I don't care how buggy the software is, I'd trust a robot driver before I'd trust a human driver any day of the week.

Edit: That said, I'd want a conventional vehicle (or a way to completely disable the auto-pilot) set aside for my own personal use, should the need arise.
in most cases, yeah, id have to agree. it seems for the majority of people, people's iq gets halved the moment they get behind the wheel. its a rather strange phenomenon.

still, there isnt an excuse for requiring additional pay to include the portion of the software that avoids pedestrians. that should more or less be a basic safety feature included free of charge in all 'tiers' of the software offered. parallel parking or smooth driving features in case a baby is on board? great. go ahead and charge extra if you really want to. but something as basic as not running into people isnt something that should be seen as 'extra.'

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 1373

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 03:05:02 AM

Do you think there would be an advantage to hooking these self-driving cars into the blockchain? Could pay for gas automatically with Bitcoin.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
galdur (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 03:53:29 AM

It´s hype and pipedreams. No way are millions of these robots going to be driving around by themselves in regular traffic in a few years as is projected. It´s too complicated. Too many wildcards from conventional vehicles and also pedestrians. And the environment would have to be adopted to the robots. Half-bankrupt cites aren´t suddenly going to make sure that everything is tip top and pothole free or trim vegetation obscuring key traffic signs. And so on.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 05:49:19 AM

This is scary. I don't trust robots to drive vehicles, at least for the next 100 years. There is always a chance of a malfunction or even the controls getting hacked by criminals. I am not saying human drivers are any better, but it is possible to prevent human error in most of the cases, and human drivers cannot be "hacked" and used for terrorist attacks.
larem

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 06:36:23 AM

I prefer to pay less, and buy a volvo without that stupid system. I can drive myself. I would be bored when i had a self driving car, i need to get my hands onto something. I only trust myself and not kind of software that claims it drives me everywere.

Bruh, with self-driving cars, you can 'bate while you travel. Win-win!

notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 07:21:25 AM

This is scary. I don't trust robots to drive vehicles, at least for the next 100 years. There is always a chance of a malfunction or even the controls getting hacked by criminals. I am not saying human drivers are any better, but it is possible to prevent human error in most of the cases, and human drivers cannot be "hacked" and used for terrorist attacks.

Are you aware of the mk ultra program?
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 11:36:03 AM

Hacking automobiles is already very real. How many people have been killed that way is anybody´s guess.

Just last summer, over a million Jeeps had to be recalled after security experts were able to wirelessly control functions like acceleration, brakes, windscreen and radio, rendering the driver powerless. Actually they said  they could target hundreds of cars, and would post a tutorial detailing the hack. Don´t know how that went.

Automobiles can already be hacked, driver-less or not. If you want an unhackable car you need a very old model.

I've added a link for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:41:54 PM

Automobiles can already be hacked, driver-less or not. If you want an unhackable car you need a very old model.

I've added a link for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

At least one subproject of the MK Ultra project was about the electronic control of human behaviour (subproject 119). Subproject 119 had the purpose to provide funds for a study to make a critical review of the literature and scientific developments related to the recording, analysis and interpretation of bio-electric signals from the human organism, and activation of the human behaviour by remote means. The survey encompassed five main areas: techniques of activation of the human organism by remote electronic means, bio-electric sensors, recording, analysis and standardization of data.

LOL
mudiko

Activity: 321

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:21:33 PM

I think they need at least 5 more years to present self-driving autos in a secure form.
larem

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 06:12:09 AM

I think they need at least 5 more years to present self-driving autos in a secure form.

They're saying they won't be ready for the general population until 2020-2030. The issue is even if the car is safe, other drivers aren't.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: