Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:07:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What kinds of people are selling bitcoins right now on Mt Gox?  (Read 2248 times)
chriswilmer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 03:41:59 PM

I understand there are people who want to sell and buy back cheaper... but do they make up the majority of sellers? There are about 25,000 to 30,000 bitcoins for sale for under $15 on Mt. Gox... who are these people and why do they want to sell their bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:44:25 PM

There are vendors wanting to cash out some bitcoin based sales, but probably most of the movement on mtgox is daytrading.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:46:04 PM

I wish I knew.  Personally, I think they're crazy.  I can't understand anyone who has a passing interest in bitcoin and simultaneously be bearish.

My guess is they're people who either think they are way smarter than they actually are and can "day trade" or are just really, really desperate for USD. Like, they're electricity is going to be cutoff at any moment desperate.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
wdBTCtrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 03:55:59 PM

I wish I knew.  Personally, I think they're crazy.  I can't understand anyone who has a passing interest in bitcoin and simultaneously be bearish.

My guess is they're people who either think they are way smarter than they actually are and can "day trade" or are just really, really desperate for USD. Like, they're electricity is going to be cutoff at any moment desperate.

Contrary to what my handle may suggest I am a novice in markets and trading, but I would think the "day traders" would actually give credence as well as stimulate bitcoin economy. 
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:01:22 PM

anyone doing business in BTC with expenses not payable in BTC.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:04:45 PM

Contrary to what my handle may suggest I am a novice in markets and trading, but I would think the "day traders" would actually give credence as well as stimulate bitcoin economy.  

Oh, I'm sure it does both of those things. I'm just of the personal opinion that all the charts, graphs, models, in all the world are nothing but BS and day trading is 99.9999% luck. I also don't see enough movement on Mt. Gox to convince me that a lot of people are actually "day trading" out side of cashing out at very obvious peaks and buying back in when a crash stops.

Thus, everyone who is trying to sell below $13.50 is hoping that there will be a crash and when it doesn't happen they just buy back in rinse repeat.

Now, don't try to debate me on this. It's just one little guy's opinion and I read this forum more than I post and haven't been convinced otherwise yet.

anyone doing business in BTC with expenses not payable in BTC.

I would be interested in seeing some sort of stats showing how many businesses do instantly cashout all BTC, what % they hold in BTC, ect.  Those would be some neat figures.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
wdBTCtrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:09:51 PM

Now, don't try to debate me on this. It's just one little guy's opinion and I read this forum more than I post and haven't been convinced otherwise yet.

I don't disagree with you, but I think the same could be said for most of forex trading.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 04:38:10 PM

Miners have electric bills that require payment in USD.

Still around.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 06:51:56 AM

I would be interested in seeing some sort of stats showing how many businesses do instantly cashout all BTC, what % they hold in BTC, ect.  Those would be some neat figures.

Any business that sells products or services for BTC is very likely selling BTC on a regular basis to pay for expenses. This is specially true for a business that sell very high value low margin products for BTC such as for example gold bullion coins. By the way the sale of very high value low margin products is particularly well suited to Bitcoin.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 08:49:37 AM

On the contrary, I don't understand why people are still buying at these prices  Grin There's no real economy in BTC, it is very risky (may crash to zero and competition from other digital currencies may arise any time, not counting competition from various other payment systems), almost everyone is just hoarding and speculating. This may end up badly. I personally stopped buying around the time when the BTC price hit 8 USD and since then I'm slowly selling. I already profited from bitcoin, but not many people will be that lucky. A lot of people lost their coins due to various scams and still more people will be scammed in the future. That's the dark side of the bitcoin. Not everyone can be rich  Cool
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 12:19:08 PM

I imagine most of the people selling at any time would be speculators and day traders. Other than that there is a smaller group of miners and merchants who would also be selling.
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 12:50:27 PM

I think theyre just waiting for 'big/fast shots'. If the price goes slow to their ask they pull them away.

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
lucif

Activity: 462

Clown prophet

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 03:19:29 PM

I understand there are people who want to sell and buy back cheaper... but do they make up the majority of sellers? There are about 25,000 to 30,000 bitcoins for sale for under $15 on Mt. Gox... who are these people and why do they want to sell their bitcoins?
See my sig
chriswilmer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 03:23:05 PM

I think theyre just waiting for 'big/fast shots'. If the price goes slow to their ask they pull them away.

Makes sense to me. I would do this if I had the patience!
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 04:17:11 PM

uninformed people

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 12:28:55 AM

Someone that made a trading strategy, and is sticking to it.  There were a few large purchases around $11-$12 that appeared to be put back up on the sell side around $15.  Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.  If they do sell, they'll have earned a 20%-35% return on investment, and likely in under a year.  High risk, high reward, and a reasonable strategy with the current negative US treasury returns.
chriswilmer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 12:39:12 AM

Someone that made a trading strategy, and is sticking to it.  There were a few large purchases around $11-$12 that appeared to be put back up on the sell side around $15.  Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.  If they do sell, they'll have earned a 20%-35% return on investment, and likely in under a year.  High risk, high reward, and a reasonable strategy with the current negative US treasury returns.

It's the "sticking with it" part that seems irrational to me. All of the recent developments in bitcoin seem to indicate that it would be wise to hold on to them... if only a bit longer (assuming you plan to get rid of them in the short term).
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 12:59:49 AM

It's the "sticking with it" part that seems irrational to me. All of the recent developments in bitcoin seem to indicate that it would be wise to hold on to them... if only a bit longer (assuming you plan to get rid of them in the short term).

Solidifying 20-30% profit is a very rational thing to do, regardless of potential future profits.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
freshzive

Activity: 447

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 07:38:00 AM

sellers on SR. they can only buy product with USD (or other fiat). i think we all underestimate the amount of BTC flowing through SR.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 10:04:35 AM

No matter how optimistic I am about the future of Bitcoin I intend to sell down to a certain amount if/when we hit a point where I can re-coup the fiat funds I put in while still retaining a sizable percentage of BTC I've obtained.  For me that price target is a ways off but a lot of folks who got in sooner and have bigger piles loot might hit that point a lot sooner and liquidate what to a lot of people may seem like some decent coin.  Namely people who were not around when a pizza went for 10,000 BTC.

In reality I'm sure there are a mix of people in different catagories who actively and imediately part with Bitcoin with prices through all ranges.  I actually think it a bit remarkable that more BTC are not actively on Mt. Goxes' auction block as we speak though as many people point out, there are a variety of reasons why the painted pixels can and often do give a mis-leading view of reality.  OTOH, I find that a quick glance at the general lopsidedness is *my* most reliable indicator of trend-ing moves.  That's probably because I don't pay for other people's newsletters, and never tried to figure out various kinds of TA, Idiot Elliot Wave analysis, etc, etc.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: