Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:54:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Got Mises? No apparently we don't  (Read 1954 times)
Sjalq (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 08:08:30 AM

I'm really dissapointed that the Mises.org website has been completely ignoring Bitcoin. Does anyone here know any regular Mises.org contributors?

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:12:58 AM

I'm really dissapointed that the Mises.org website has been completely ignoring Bitcoin. Does anyone here know any regular Mises.org contributors?

If they don't get on the ball I've got dibs on meeces.org.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
DividingSolid

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:34:55 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2011, 02:40:19 AM by DividingSolid

I believe Lew Rockwell or at least his website said something about Bitcoins.
Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:49:52 AM

I believe Lew Rockwell or at least website said something about Bitcoins.

Yeah, I saw an article on Lew Rockwell's site in mid 2010 about Bitcoin and was intrigued, but after downloading the client, I wasn't really sure what else to do so I just forgot about it. Terrible decision on my part, because I would have fully supported the economics behind it and possibly purchased some for cheap.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:31:46 AM

Yes, Lew Rockwell dot com (who also manages mises.org) has published a couple of very favorable articles about Bitcoin.

As a supporter of the austrian school of economics and a very early supporter of Bitcoin I wish a few austrians were not so caught up with gold. Gold is only useful because it allows monetary stability and that was the reason it was choosed by the market. But the market can choose more things that gold, like bitcoins. Also, gold and Bitcoin are complementary. I would not put all my savings in gold or bitcoins, but a mix of the two. Bitcoin is way more useful for internet transactions and its cheaper to store, but gold is probably more secure and it has a lot more tradition. They are both completementary. I am ashamed of some of the stupid reactions by a few austrian economists to Bitcoin. Hopefully they will come around, becuase austrian economics explains the dinamics of bitcoins like no other economic theory can.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 07:00:29 AM

Yes, Lew Rockwell dot com (who also manages mises.org) has published a couple of very favorable articles about Bitcoin.

As a supporter of the austrian school of economics and a very early supporter of Bitcoin I wish a few austrians were not so caught up with gold. Gold is only useful because it allows monetary stability and that was the reason it was choosed by the market. But the market can choose more things that gold, like bitcoins. Also, gold and Bitcoin are complementary. I would not put all my savings in gold or bitcoins, but a mix of the two. Bitcoin is way more useful for internet transactions and its cheaper to store, but gold is probably more secure and it has a lot more tradition. They are both completementary. I am ashamed of some of the stupid reactions by a few austrian economists to Bitcoin. Hopefully they will come around, becuase austrian economics explains the dinamics of bitcoins like no other economic theory can.

+1

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 07:09:17 AM

All those gold bugs think bitcoin ain't real ...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Marlsfarp

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:31:00 PM

Austrians have a lot of good thoughts, but they tend to be religiously inflexible in their theories. Bitcoins shouldn't exist according to Austrian theory, so they cannot admit that they do. "What has to happen, according to this quoted authority" beats out "what actually is happening in real life." If you point this out, they'll just call you an empiricist (an insult, apparently) or demand you try to refute the theory.
Mashuri

Activity: 135
Merit: 107

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:43:23 PM

Austrians have a lot of good thoughts, but they tend to be religiously inflexible in their theories. Bitcoins shouldn't exist according to Austrian theory, so they cannot admit that they do. "What has to happen, according to this quoted authority" beats out "what actually is happening in real life." If you point this out, they'll just call you an empiricist (an insult, apparently) or demand you try to refute the theory.

Bitcoin is completely compatible with Austrian theory.  Many Austrian economists, unfortunately, simply do not understand it.  Too many are stuck in gold standard dogma.

Sjalq (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 07:45:26 PM

I'm an "Austrian" and that's why I see Bitcoin has value. I could understand debate from them, but total silence??

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 07:52:13 PM

A lot of Austrians confuse the fact that gold is a form of money with gold being the only form of money.  Menger's account on the creation of money is but one example.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:55:17 PM

I'm an 'Austrian' (praxeologist, more generally) and I relized Bitcoins potential almost immediately.  Tunnel vision is a condition that can befall anyone.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 07:57:29 PM

I've been on the Mises forum for a few months, and have followed it for a few years, but I'm far from a regular contributor.  I go by a different handle there, and have been arguing with nearsighted idiots over the semantics of a "currency" and a "dollar proxy" for months.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 08:03:57 PM

My understanding of praxeology dovetials very well with bitcoin.  Even Gary North has explicitly explained why there is no such thing as "intrinsic value." 

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
ZombieRothbard

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 08:14:35 PM

Does anybody know of a good page that displays a detailed description of the economics of Bitcoin? I know a contributor to Mises.org. Maybe with some prodding and the proper research materials, he could give an Austrian analysis.
Mashuri

Activity: 135
Merit: 107

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:24:49 PM

Does anybody know of a good page that displays a detailed description of the economics of Bitcoin? I know a contributor to Mises.org. Maybe with some prodding and the proper research materials, he could give an Austrian analysis.

If he actually understands Austrian Economics, then all he needs is to read bitcoin.org.  As a student of "Human Action" myself, I understood right away the value of Bitcoin.  Of course, he might need help on the technical side of things.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: