Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 07:36:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why people give altcoins as collateral?  (Read 1989 times)
Laguna77 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:10:42 AM

Hi,

As newbie on this forum i ask myself the question why give people loans with altcoins as collateral? If they trade their altcoins in BTC. Their problem would be solved, cause they have their bitcoins. Can one explain this please, thanks?
karakhan

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:20:04 AM

maybe because exchange fee

▄██▄ ▄██▄ ██████ ██████ █████████████▄▄ ▀██▀ ██████ ▀██▀ ████████████████ ██████ █████ ▀▀██████ ██████ █████ ██████ ██████ █████████████ ▄██████████ ▄██████████▄ ██████ █████ ▄███████▄ ██████ ██████ ▄█████████ ██████ ▄▄█████ ██████ █████████████ ▄███████████ ███████████████ ██████ ████████▀▀██████ ██████ ██████ ██████████ █████████████████ ██████ ██████ ██████▀▀ █████▀ ▀████ ██████ ██████▀ ▀█████ ██████ ██████ █████▀ ███████████████████ ██████ ██████ ██████ █████▀ ▀████ ██████ ██████ █████ ██████ ██████ ██████▄▄ █████ ▀▀█████ ██████ ██████ ██████ █████ ████ ██████ ██████ █████ ██████ ██████ ▀█████████▄ █████ ██████ ██████ ██████ ██████ █████▄ ▄████ ██████ ██████ █████ ██████ ██████ ▀▀███████ █████ ▄▄██████ ██████ ██████▄ ██████▄▄ █████▄ ▄████ ██████ ██████ █████ ▐██████▄ ▄███████ ▄█████ ██████████████████████ ██████ ▐██████████ █████████████ ███████████████ ██████ ██████ █████ ▐████████████████ ███████████ ███████████████████▀▀ ██████ ▀██████▀ ▀▀████████▀ ▀██████████▀ ██████ ██████ █████ ▀▀██████▀ █████ ▀▀██████▀ ████████ ████ ████ ▄ ▄▄████████████▄▄ ▀███▄ ▄███▀▀ ██ ▀▀███▄▄████▀█▀ ▄██▀ ██ ▀████▀ ▄██▀ ▀██▄ ▐██ ███ ███ ██▌ ▐██ ████████████▄ ██▌ ██▌ ███ ▀██▄ ▐██ ▐██ ███ ██ ██▌ ██▌ ███ ▄██▀ ▐██ ██████ ██████████▀ ██████ ██▌ ███ ▀██▄ ▐██ ▐██ ███ ██ ██▌ ██▌ ███ ▄███ ▐██ ▐██ █████████████▀ ██▌ ▐██ ███ ███ ██▌ ▀██▄ ▄██▀ ▀██▄ ██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄▄ ██ ▄▄███▀ ▀▀████████████▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀BITCOIN PAYMENTS IN 2 SECONDS CUTTING EDGE PAYMENT PROCESSING █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ FACEBOOK TWITTER TELEGRAM MEDIUM
Close
View Signature Code
BTT

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:20:52 AM

Hi,

As newbie on this forum i ask myself the question why give people loans with altcoins as collateral? If they trade their altcoins in BTC. Their problem would be solved, cause they have their bitcoins. Can one explain this please, thanks?

Read the sticky thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577765.0

marjod

Activity: 285

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:28:09 AM

Altcoins could be considered as collateral because, even if borrowers could trade them to btc, they could keep altcoins for speculation purpose, hoping the value of altcoin raise significantely in a near future or on a long-term period. I believe that can explain why altcoins are valid collateral.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 07:16:51 AM

because they don't want to actually exchange them to btc, they only want to have those btc if they need soemthign urgent, but they still want to keep their alt, for the future in case the price skyrocket

practically they want to keep both, but they do not have one, so they use the other as a collateral for the moment they need it
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 04:39:34 PM

It is same like you giving your house as collateral for some bank loans in real life. Altcoins are also type of assets so if you have other source of income and after some time you will have more than loan amount than why to sell assets if you can easily get loan.
adicted

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 08:47:58 PM

Probably because the loanee was HODLing that specific altcoin hoping for a price pump in the future and he doesn't want to exchange it for bitcoins. That's exactly the reason before when a Facebook friend borrowed some bitcoin from me and he offered his doges as a collateral. Good thing he repaid on time.
tn211

Activity: 778

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 10:12:12 PM

Altcoins are great for collateral since they can be transferred to and from the lender very easily.
With accounts the hassle is password protection etc. etc.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 02:44:07 AM

As stated, typically altcoins are fairly good collateral because they can be fairly easily accumulated, and easily sold for Bitcoin. As long as it is a coin with a fairly-well known name, there shouldn't be any issues with the price fluctuating too much, and thus allows for a means of liquid, steady collateral.
Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 10:03:12 AM

altcoins are 100% collateral as you can easily sell them off
and get your btc back should you default on the loan. Just
make sure you get more altcoin than what the loan is for cause
I had a friend who did about equal and the altcoin (think it was
ltc) went down and the guy just said keep the litecoin and
never paid the btc back.

HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 01:19:10 PM

Because if anyone give loan in BTC, he want the collateral. And collateral only can be either stable altcoins, which you can exchange to BTC or your forum account in some cases. Will be vary hard to offer another one collateral, like your laptop, car etc. - you can check in Marketplace/Lending section here in the forum  Wink.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 08:35:29 PM

All the responses so far explain why altcoins make good collateral, but nobody has answered your real question:

Why get a loan if you already have altcoins? Why not trade the altcoins for BTC instead?

Consider this: would it make sense to get a BTC loan and use dollars as collateral? The only reason I can think of is maybe currency arbitrage. If the borrower thinks that the value of Bitcoin is going drop relative to the altcoin, then it makes sense. Also, if the borrower thinks that the altcoin is going to crash, they they could offer the altcoin as collateral, and then just default when it crashes.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
coinzat

Activity: 434

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:33:43 PM

You know !, I asked myself the same question before and I found no answer except that those who gives altcoins as a collateral want to save some satoshis they will lose dew do the exchange fees . although the loan interest might charge them more !
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 09:46:28 PM

I don't understand it either and never, ever will. I think the whole loan section is a giant performance art piece anyway. There is something about it that simply does not add up.
fricircled

Activity: 201

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 08:40:28 AM

You know !, I asked myself the same question before and I found no answer except that those who gives altcoins as a collateral want to save some satoshis they will lose dew do the exchange fees . although the loan interest might charge them more !

I think the main reason people use altcoin as collateral is that they want to keep the altcoins, and do not want to exchange twice.
maokoto

Activity: 770

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2015, 04:34:23 PM

People just want to keep their altcoins. Some of us (at leas I am one) just sell every altcoin we get for BTC, but there are lots of people who keep altcoins to do transfer between exchanges or in the hope they will raise their value.

So they want the BTC but not to lose their altcoins.

Rude Boy

Activity: 770

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 04:37:19 PM

May  be (if the borrower was legit) he/she doesn't want to loss/exchange the altcoin but, urgently need some BTC/$. So that he/she used altcoin as collateral (or may be borrower got some difficulty on selling that altcoin  Grin Huh). And also the lender accepts alt coin as a collateral because, if the rate goes up, lender actually own more than he lend.
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:20:41 AM

Altcoins aren't really used commonly as valid collateral nowadays. They're more unpredictable. People used to use stable altcoins (stable being the key word) as collateral, as there were many exchanges out there to liquidify into fiat/bitcoin.

Nowadays they aren't as stable, so they aren't used as much. You might have double the worth of what you risked, but when your client scams you, the collateral might be worth nothing.
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 10:00:57 PM

True, Not all altcoins are valid, Almost aren´t valid, LTC is an example of  valid.
fricircled

Activity: 201

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 09:27:40 AM

True, Not all altcoins are valid, Almost aren´t valid, LTC is an example of  valid.

Examples are litcoin, monero, ethereum or dash, dgb. Those are large market cap coins. Easier to get rid of.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: