Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:55:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitFinex Q&A thread: users helping users  (Read 2278 times)
myself (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:31:15 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2012, 10:18:41 PM by myself

bitfinex is still on beta

1) the FAQ
https://bitfinex.com/pages/faq
2) fees
https://bitfinex.com/pages/fees
why there is a computation fee ?
to avoid order book spam and cancel

3) interest /swaps
https://bitfinex.com/pages/interest
why is this put in place ?
to provide funds for users that want to go long or short

4) accounts wallets management
https://bitfinex.com/managewallets
what are wallets?
each account have 3 wallets
1 for exchange
2 for margin trading aka leverage trade
3 deposits this is the money u lend to order users and earn interest

5) exchange
https://bitfinex.com/exchange
whats the deal ?
1 you can cross trade between mtgox and bitfinex (buy in mtgox sell on BFX)
2 lower mtgox fees
see this thread http://bit.ly/Uqjolq

6) trade using leverage
https://bitfinex.com/trading
orders
1 trailing stop
if the price is 10 usd and u want to trail your longs at 20 cents below the top price in the price field u put 0.20
if the price go at 10.10 then your trailing stop is at 9.90 from 9.80
if the price goes to 10.30 your trailing stop take you to 10.10
if the price goes back to 10.11 your trailing stop is still at 10.10 ( 0.20 below the top)
if the price goes below 10.10 you are out of the market
2 stop
if the price is 10 and you want to close your position if the price drops 0.10 then you put on the stop [sell] field 9.90
2a stop entry
the price is 10
there is a huge wall at 10.10 and you want to get in the market if the wall get eaten or canceled
you put a stop [buy] at 10.15 for example
3 limit
you buy or sell at  a fixed price
4 market
you buy or sell at market price expect slippage
5 limit vs stop entry
limit order allow you to buy cheaper that current price or to sell more expensive that the current price
stop entry allow you to buy more expensive that the current price and to sell cheaper that the current price
see point 2a for a example

8 ) BFX order book
https://bitfinex.com/pages/order_book
9) level 2 order book, so far is mtgox order book+ bfx orderbook
https://bitfinex.com/pages/ll_order_book

ask questions i will try to answer them doing my best Smiley

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 08:41:29 PM

I want to go Long.

I sent BTC to the account.

can i take a long position with BTC or do i need to first sell my bitcoin on MtGox and then transfer MtGox Codes?

myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:46:02 PM

I want to go Long.
you need USD from other users or the platform

can i take a long position with BTC
if there are USD yes

or do i need to first sell my bitcoin on MtGox and then transfer MtGox Codes?
no, your usd/btc balance is to guarantee your position you dont use your own money to leverage you use borrowed money

the only case you use your own USD to buy bitcoins is using the exchange

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 08:47:36 PM

what does the * mean, BitFinex doesn't have the USD available to take long positions?

myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:52:03 PM

▼*13.67890

what does the * mean, no USD available to take a long?
afaik means the platform does not have USD for you to take a long

below you will see if there are users that want to lend you money

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 09:00:32 PM

Jesus, are we seriously doing this again?  Wait till Gox or somebody else reputable supports margin trading.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 09:18:40 PM

I have a feeling its rare BitFinex has enoght USD to take long positions  Cry

Jesus, are we seriously doing this again?  Wait till Gox or somebody else reputable supports margin trading.

How secure is Bitfinex?

Security is our number one priority .Your bitcoins are stored in cold wallet only, and the servers only use watch-only wallet, powered by Armory, to monitor deposit and balances. All bitcoins withdrawals requests are processed manually, once a day, every business day. Our servers are secured using the best technologies available, but even if someone were to hack into them, there is NO HOT WALLET and no private keys to steal, at all. Passwords and exchange API keys are stored encrypted. The rest of our funds are stored in exchanges that already proved themselves secure (currently only MtGox)
Yes, that means your withdrawal can take up to 24h, more on week-end. That's how you can be sure your bitcoins are safe.

The keys and credentials allowing access to others places where we hold our funds are (exchanges) are encrypted, and only grant the right to trade with the funds, not to withdraw them.

Our database is automatically backed up every day and stored in offline storage.

I think Bitfinex will prove to be reliable & safe
feels like the platform just needs more users

myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 09:24:04 PM

I have a feeling its rare BitFinex has enoght USD to take long positions  Cry
like i did explain on the spanish forum some days ago https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127917.msg1375973#msg1375973 usd funds get used fast and any "outside pour of money" will have a huge effect on the price so users using the deposit feature is a much more healthy way to finance longs or shorts

I think Bitfinex will prove to be reliable & safe
patience this is a long journey, so stay small use gambling money to try things out

yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 09:27:42 PM

Jesus, are we seriously doing this again?  Wait till Gox or somebody else reputable supports margin trading.

I suspect Bitfinex will become reputable before MtGox implements margin trading.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 09:50:41 PM

say i send money to BitFinex, and i make it available for lending to traders.

the trader uses the loan to trade and makes a profit, I get my money back + interest. very cool!

But what if the trader makes bad trades and loses all the money, i lose all my money as-well?

yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 09:53:12 PM

Are the interest rates for depositors fixed or floating?

If they are floating how are they calculated?

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 09:54:42 PM

i believe the depositor chooses a fixed rate himself.

traders are offered the best rate made available by all the depositors

myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:03:21 PM

But what if the trader makes bad trades and loses all the money, i lose all my money as-well?
he gets a margin call when the loss get close to the total amount of his deposit and your interest is payed each hour so your should not lose the interest if he get a margin call

myself (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:05:17 PM

this will come in the next iteration for the deposit feature (a debt market) AFAIK now the interest is calculated on the same way is got calculated when used platform money

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:32:14 PM

say i send money to BitFinex, and i make it available for lending to traders.

the trader uses the loan to trade and makes a profit, I get my money back + interest. very cool!

As Myself said, the risk of loss is on the trader, not the lender.  If you lend 100 usd, the trader goes long for 9 btc with this money and the price drops of 50%, the trader loses 50%, you get your 100 usd back + interests Smiley

And if ever the margin call doesn't prevent the trader of losing more than his balance, the loss if on bitfinex (that shows you how we make sure the trader balance never goes negative, like you we don"t like loosing money Cheesy).
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:33:22 PM

traders are offered the best rate made available by all the depositors

Actually, this will comes in a few days: the depositors will propose their own rates, and the best will be chosen when opening a position.

A few days left beffore I roll out this feature.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:34:40 PM

this will come in the next iteration for the deposit feature (a debt market) AFAIK now the interest is calculated on the same way is got calculated when used platform money

the interest earned are, for now: the interests charged on open position / the depositors money invested.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: