Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:31:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Bitcoin - am I starting out right?  (Read 699 times)
joeking (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 11:48:56 PM

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm starting out having read the basics.

I've downloaded and installed Bitcoin Core and this has given me a wallet with an address.

I then encrypted the wallet.

Is it a good idea to keep a paper record of my Bitcoin wallet address and the passphrase?

If I add bitcoin to the wallet and backup the wallet to say a USB stick and my computer gets hacked and the wallet stolen, will I have access to my bitcoins via the backup and / or paper record, or will whoever hacked my computer have control of the wallet?

And is there anything else I should do before starting to trade to secure my Bitcoins?

One other thing. If someone sends a bitcoin to my wallet address how will I know when it has arrived? Will it just appear in my wallet or do I need to check a central registry?
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 12:01:30 AM

I've downloaded and installed Bitcoin Core and this has given me a wallet with an address.

Is it a good idea to keep a paper record of my Bitcoin wallet address and the passphrase?

If I add bitcoin to the wallet and backup the wallet to say a USB stick and my computer gets hacked and the wallet stolen, will I have access to my bitcoins via the backup and / or paper record, or will whoever hacked my computer have control of the wallet?

And is there anything else I should do before starting to trade to secure my Bitcoins?

One other thing. If someone sends a bitcoin to my wallet address how will I know when it has arrived? Will it just appear in my wallet or do I need to check a central registry?

always backup your wallet.dat. wallet.dat together with your password will ensure access.
but you need to backup it regulary (because whenever you send out bitcoins some change gets transferred back to you to a new address. in your wallet.dat is a pool of addresses but when the pool dried up it will generate new ones which you need to backup too).

it is not enough to write down the addresses and the passphrase because, you need the "private key" to access your funds which is only stored in your wallet.dat (you can export it through commandline though)

if you want to make a paper wallet (which is what you described: a piece of paper which gives you access to funds) follow these tutorials:
http://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/
https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-tutorial

(if you want to go this route please make sure you test it first with a small amount before sending bigger amounts there)

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
joeking (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 12:06:33 AM

Many thanks for the help and links. Very much appreciated. I'll take a look now.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 01:09:59 AM

That depends on how likely it is that someone untrustworthy accesses both the written passphrase and the wallet.dat file.

If I add bitcoin to the wallet and backup the wallet to say a USB stick and my computer gets hacked and the wallet stolen, will I have access to my bitcoins via the backup and / or paper record

Yes.  If you have a recent enough backup and you know the passphrase (or can find it on the paper) then you will have access to any bitcoins that have not yet been taken from the wallet.

or will whoever hacked my computer have control of the wallet?

If they can guess your passphrase, or if they capture your passphrase while you type it in, or if they can get access to your written passphrase, then they will have control of the wallet as well. If they take the bitcoins out before you can access them, then you will no longer have access.

That depends on what your plans are.

One other thing. If someone sends a bitcoin to my wallet address how will I know when it has arrived? Will it just appear in my wallet

Yes, as long as your wallet is communicating with the bitcoin network at the time the transaction, it should just appear in your wallet.  If your wallet is not communicating, then the transaction will show up once it is confirmed and the wallet has caught up with synchronization.

You'll want to make sure that you understand the concept of a transaction being "confirmed" and the importance of confirmations when transacting with someone that you don't already have a trust relationship with.

or do I need to check a central registry?

Bitcoin is decentralized.  There is no official central registry.  The closest thing to that concept is the blockchain that every full node peer maintains its own copy of.
relq

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 06:05:00 AM

for the first time why not using blockchain ? because it's simple and easy to use it, after that you can start from faucets than you can go to service section for earning bitcoin by posting.
Bitcoin 420

Activity: 29

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2015, 08:59:59 AM

iam using a hot wallert so far. What do you think of this?

cheers
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 09:16:32 AM

iam using a hot wallert so far. What do you think of this?

cheers

leave only a small account for fast spending, the majority must be in a cold storage, unless you have a dedicated computer that run the client only, i repeat only the client no surfing of any kind no shared connection and no to any kind of installation

i'm planning to do the latter, so i have a personal bank ready to be used
zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 03:30:50 PM

Firstly, you should only store your bitcoin in paper wallet if you have a big amount of bitcoin. Because paper wallet is for long term storage only
Secondly, you should always use the password and back up your wallet.dat to make nothing will go wrong with your precious bitcoin
Thirdly, the bitcoin sent to your address will be automatically added to your wallet without doing anything and make sure you have synced the wallet

Regards
zodiac3011
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: