Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [DELETE ME] 2013 Silver Casascius Coins With PGP Chains  (Read 1959 times)
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 05:32:05 PM

I assume a scammer could easily buy a coin with a chain and then make a fake coin with the same first bits. Since the PGP chain is just a file, it is very easy to duplicate. In that case both coins would look legitimate. If my assumption is correct then the PGP chain is, IMHO, useless.

Someone doesn't understand what they're talking about

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 05:36:50 PM

I agree that 1BTC per coin is pretty pricey for the documentation. I think something like an extra .5BTC - 1BTC for a set of coins is more realistic.

My time is worth what it's worth. 1BTC is pretty steep but I'm the only remaining source for one-nub chains.

FWIW I paid smoothie 0.5 BTC per coin for docs on three coins recently -- 1.5 BTC total.

You think 1 BTC is expensive, just wait until you see how much I charge someone who turned down free docs two years ago and wants them now Cool

nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:10:42 PM

Nubbins have been talking shit about ANACS for years, he say that they cannot be trusted.

Example:
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-otc/logs/2013/12/31

Quote from: Nubbins
(c) i don't trust ANACS enough

The chain is broken as soon as the coin is in custody of someone not able to sign and extend the chain.

Sorry for the thread hijack. A couple of things:

-Your "quote" is attributed to "Nubbins", which is neither my forum handle (no capitals), nor does it match the nickname (trailing `) in the provided link.

-Who says that's me on irc? That ` character looks scammy.

-Are you a stalker or did you happen to just have a quip from two years ago bookmarked?

-Why not ask me what I think about it? I'm right here.

FWIW the chain is not broken if the coin is handled by the mail service or couriers because they don't know it's a Casascius coin. If a shipped coin arrives undisturbed (and you didn't stupidly write "Casascius coin" on the package), I'd consider the custody chain intact.

Also FWIW -- and I still stand by my claim that ANACS sucks and only IDIOTS buy coins based on the grade and not the condition of the coin itself -- but since ANACS records video of all coins from the moment they arrive til the moment they leave, I'd still consider the custody chain unbroken. The owner who sent the coin for grading should include particulars in their custody docs: dates, ref numbers, etc.

ANACS sucks. They gave a damaged coin a PERFECT ms70 grade.

ANACS sucks.

Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 11:33:30 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2015, 04:50:35 PM by Hellot

Nubbins have been talking shit about ANACS for years, he say that they cannot be trusted.

Example:

The chain is broken as soon as the coin is in custody of someone not able to sign and extend the chain.

-Your "quote" is attributed to "Nubbins", which is neither my forum handle (no capitals), nor does it match the nickname (trailing `) in the provided link.

-Are you a stalker or did you happen to just have a quip from two years ago bookmarked?

FWIW the chain is not broken if the coin is handled by the mail service or couriers because they don't know it's a Casascius coin. If a shipped coin arrives undisturbed (and you didn't stupidly write "Casascius coin" on the package), I'd consider the custody chain intact.

Also FWIW -- and I still stand by my claim that ANACS sucks and only IDIOTS buy coins based on the grade and not the condition of the coin itself -- but since ANACS records video of all coins from the moment they arrive til the moment they leave, I'd still consider the custody chain unbroken. The owner who sent the coin for grading should include particulars in their custody docs: dates, ref numbers, etc.

ANACS sucks.

I actually agree with nubbins on everything here.  Not because of his excuse that mail carriers are ignorant to what they're carrying but because of how I interpret the word custody.  It is a matter of responsibility not a measure of physical possession.  
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:05:58 AM

I agree that 1BTC per coin is pretty pricey for the documentation. I think something like an extra .5BTC - 1BTC for a set of coins is more realistic.

My time is worth what it's worth. 1BTC is pretty steep but I'm the only remaining source for one-nub chains.

FWIW I paid smoothie 0.5 BTC per coin for docs on three coins recently -- 1.5 BTC total.

You think 1 BTC is expensive, just wait until you see how much I charge someone who turned down free docs two years ago and wants them now Cool

so how much is it worth for a 2013 1BTC silver/gold coin that has full documentation that I am the first/only owner of the coin directly from Mike? I even have photogrpahic proof of opening up the roll, and retained the original shipping box Smiley

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 04:19:17 AM

so how much is it worth for a 2013 1BTC silver/gold coin that has full documentation that I am the first/only owner of the coin directly from Mike? I even have photogrpahic proof of opening up the roll, and retained the original shipping box Smiley

Did Mike PGP chain the coins over to you? Or do you just have a scan from him with pics of the coins?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2339

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:23:21 AM

Example:

ANACS sucks.

I actually agree with nubbins on everything here.  Not because of his excuse that mail carriers are ignorant to what they're carrying but because of how I interpret the word custody.  It is a matter of responsibility not a level of physical possession. 
I would say that in the case of both while the coin is in the mail, and while a coin is with ANACS, the owner would be in possession, through an agent of the coin. I don't think the fact that the mail carrier is ignorent to the contents of a package is going to change if someone is in possession of an item.

If one were to argue that you need to be in continuous physical possession of a coin in order to maintain the chain of custody, then technically you would lose possession anytime you left you house and the coin was stored in a safe, as it would be theoretically possible (although very unlikely) that someone could break into your home, crack your safe, replace your coin with a fake one, then close/lock your safe and leave. The same would apply with a safety deposit box.

I do think that trips to ANACS should be disclosed when extending PGP chains in the event that someone at ANACS turns out to be a fraudster/thief, then those relying on such PGP chains can act accordingly. 
AltcoinScamfinder

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 03:17:58 PM

I agree that 1BTC per coin is pretty pricey for the documentation. I think something like an extra .5BTC - 1BTC for a set of coins is more realistic. I was hoping to get an offer for 1 set with PGP. I am keeping all of the rest for my own personal collection.

1 set:

2013 Casascius Silver Single MS-68
2013 Casascius Silver/Gilt Single MS-68
2013 Casascius Silver Half MS-68

All 3 come with a chain where I am the 2nd owner (all 3 coins came from the same source who bought rolls from Mike). Whoever buys them will get the chain extended to them as part of the trade.

The problem with using ANACS is the fakes could be around for 6+ months before anyone even knows. How would you catch a fake considering we never redeem them?

Care to price out the 3-coin collection? I am interested.

FOR RENT.
woodson

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:41:02 PM

Did you add pictures?  Apologies on a mobile.  Could be the issue.

Thanks,

W
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 04:45:39 PM

So far the best offer is @ 7. I will add pictures ASAP (forgot). They look the same as all the others though  Tongue
klondike_bar
Legendary

Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:48:29 PM

Did Mike PGP chain the coins over to you? Or do you just have a scan from him with pics of the coins?

I have everything. PGP, back-and-forth emails, scan of the coins, original packaging, etc Smiley
Coins were only ever handled once, using a fresh pair of nitrile gloves to move them to airtites.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 05:48:14 PM

So far the best offer is @ 7. I will add pictures ASAP (forgot). They look the same as all the others though  Tongue

I'd value this set at 7.5-10 BTC at this point in time. 7 would be a steal.

Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 06:02:31 PM

I'd value this set at 7.5-10 BTC at this point in time. 7 would be a steal.

I will just keep them for anything under 8. I am not in a rush to sell any coins honestly. Finding them with a chain is rare..
nubbins
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 06:09:18 PM

I will just keep them for anything under 8. I am not in a rush to sell any coins honestly. Finding them with a chain is rare..

Took me over two years to collect the 4-coin set w/ docs I recently sold.

Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 06:35:38 PM

Thinking I might be better off to just keep all of them then.
David19

Activity: 441
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 07:12:42 PM

Thinking I might be better off to just keep all of them then.

Can you throw some pics in? I will make an offer
woodson

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 06:57:15 PM

Blazed,

If you change your mind please let me know.  I would like a chance at acquiring the set.

Happy Holidays,

Woodson
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2015, 07:18:50 PM

Alright, I will put up some pictures. I am sort of on the fence about selling them though. I do not think I will be able to get more coins with a chain and am pretty much done selling off my extra Casascius coins these days.
Blazed (OP)
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 04:41:57 AM

Alright added some pictures...
Willing to pay above market rates for any pgp chained tenths...offering market + .5BTC - 1BTC
astrocity1981

Activity: 343
Merit: 254

From The New World

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:39:07 AM

PM sent
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: