Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 08:57:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [LOCKED] How an exchange could skim off the top  (Read 2014 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:34:07 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2012, 06:49:24 PM by 420

Every order not a market order is executed at the price specified.

Lets say the highest bid is at 13.50 for 5BTC

and someone puts in a sell order for 13.49 the same 5btc (lowest sell otherwise is 13.60 for sake of example)

so from what I've seen gox charges the buyer his price of 13.50, and also only gives the seller 13.49 per coin

so that extra cent or whatever gox would keep right? how else could it work!

more extreme example:

highest buy, $14.00 @100btc
lowest sell: $15.00

someone accidentally types $13 when they go to sell 100BTC

they get only $13 per btc, the buyer pays his price of $14/btc

and gox takes off with $100

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:50:21 PM

Are you making an accusation?  Or just speculating?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
420 (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:51:54 PM

A, B, and C:

wanting someone to tell me whats going on

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:59:12 PM

A, B, and C:

MtGox openly takes a small percentage of the transfer as a fee.  It's been a while since I messed with MtGox at all, but last I checked, they state that orders should execute at the actual price plus fee even if the bid amount is higher than the ask.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

420 (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:09:35 PM

A, B, and C:

MtGox openly takes a small percentage of the transfer as a fee.  It's been a while since I messed with MtGox at all, but last I checked, they state that orders should execute at the actual price plus fee even if the bid amount is higher than the ask.

and im assuming if someones selling at 13.50 and another at 13.49 if someone bids 13.50 they should first takeout the guy selling at 13.49 not skip him, but they always charge the bid price, so where does that extra money go?!

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:22:41 PM

A, B, and C:

and im assuming if someones selling at 13.50 and another at 13.49 if someone bids 13.50 they should first takeout the guy selling at 13.49 not skip him,

That's been my experience, yes.

but they always charge the bid price, so where does that extra money go?!

Nowhere.  While I have done this kind of thing (not recently and not at this kind of price level), when I put in a bid that is over that of the best ask, I'm charged for the best ask for as many bitcoins as were available at that price.  My account balance doesn't change based upon how much I bid, but how much that actual sale was for, plus fee.

TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 09:50:40 PM

Nowhere.  While I have done this kind of thing (not recently and not at this kind of price level), when I put in a bid that is over that of the best ask, I'm charged for the best ask for as many bitcoins as were available at that price.  My account balance doesn't change based upon how much I bid, but how much that actual sale was for, plus fee.

+1.  Thast has been my observation.

To speed execution I routinely trade "under" knowing it will always execute at BAP (best available price").

Example:
Bid is $13.50 I will put a large limit sell order @ $13.45.   It executes "some" at $13.50, "some" at $13.49995, "some" at $13.4x ... etc .... all the way down until either a) the quantity of the limit order is exhausted or b) all available bids >= $13.50 are exhausted.

It is easier to simply put $13.45 in (w/ understanding I may get that low of a price if the bid depth changes before I execute) than try to match bids exactly.   Does the OP actually try to match bids thinking he needs to do that to get the best price?

A limit order isn't saying "sell these 100 BTC at $13.45 even if a better price is available".
A limit order is saying "sell these 100 BTC at NO LESS THAN $13.45 (but get the best possible price you can)".

Unless the OP has an actual trade where this didn't occur I think it is simply a lack of knowledge by the OP, leading to idle speculation.
420 (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 11:01:10 PM

I don't see anywhere that it says limit order.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 11:04:16 PM

I don't see anywhere that it says limit order.
It doesn't have to state that, because that is exactly how it acts.  Look at your order history to confirm it.
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:03:46 AM

Example:
Bid is $13.50 I will put a large limit sell order @ $13.45.   It executes "some" at $13.50, "some" at $13.49995, "some" at $13.4x ... etc .... all the way down until either a) the quantity of the limit order is exhausted or b) all available bids >= $13.50 are exhausted.

This is how it works pretty much everywhere that I've heard of. I think the OP is just a little confused.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
420 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:18:36 PM

Example:
Bid is $13.50 I will put a large limit sell order @ $13.45.   It executes "some" at $13.50, "some" at $13.49995, "some" at $13.4x ... etc .... all the way down until either a) the quantity of the limit order is exhausted or b) all available bids >= $13.50 are exhausted.

This is how it works pretty much everywhere that I've heard of. I think the OP is just a little confused.

I'm just making sure because I can't recall anytime I've seen my transaction listed at a different price than the exact one I asked for

Maybe I am experiencing a brain fart because the person doing the 2nd end of the sale would get the different prices...

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:21:46 PM

Example:

I'm just making sure because I can't recall anytime I've seen my transaction listed at a different price than the exact one I asked for

Maybe I am experiencing a brain fart because the person doing the 2nd end of the sale would get the different prices...
It sounds like the orders you've always submitted have been above market rate (if buying) or below market rate (if selling).  Thus, your orders are not filled immediately, and when they are filled, you get exactly the price you were asking.

Try selling a coin for $1 and see what price you actually get for it.
420 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:25:11 PM

Example:

It sounds like the orders you've always submitted have been above market rate (if buying) or below market rate (if selling).  Thus, your orders are not filled immediately, and when they are filled, you get exactly the price you were asking.

Try selling a coin for $1 and see what price you actually get for it.

Yes I will get to that when I feel comfortable trading in this market again, maybe not a whole darn coin Tongue

I think you meant the opposite of above and below, above market rate for selling, below market rate for buying

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:28:01 PM

Mtgox is completely fair when buying or selling. I check all the time.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:43:43 PM

Lol, yes, I meant the opposite.  Whoops.
420 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:48:38 PM

alright, sold 0.1 at $10 it sold at market price:

0.10000000 BTC at $13.48000

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: