Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:42:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to expect from Bitcoin Magazine  (Read 13849 times)
Mihai Alisie (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 01:36:45 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2012, 05:16:29 AM by Mihai Alisie

Hello everyone,

If you don’t know me (Mihai Alisie), I have been involved with Bitcoin Magazine since its original conception and creation with Vitalik, Matthew, Adam and Vladimir over 1 year ago.  While Matthew and Vladimir were the outspoken ones in the community, I have always been in charge of the creative content that everyone reads and sees.  

Since issue #1, we have continuously improved the quality and originality of our content. As Editor in Chief, I am in charge of all the writers, illustrators, web content, layout, and the entire creative team.  I am remaining in this role and the people on the creative team will be staying also.

From our original small staff, which included Vitalik Buterin and Justin Porter, the creative team has expanded and now includes members such as Jon Matonis, Teri Buhl, Nicolas Mendoza, Wendy McElroy, Frank Braun, David Perry (CodingInMySleep) and S3052 (BitcoinBullBears) among others. All of our writers are independent thinkers and journalists, and I can personally assure you that all the articles and reviews will be as unbiased as possible. As a matter of fact I believe that the writers would be offended if they are asked to write something that does not reflect reality.  

I should add that none of our investors are involved with writing or any of the creative content.  Our investors are active bitcoin enthusiasts who see our magazine as a great marketing tool to expand and educate the bitcoin user base.  There are actually 10 owners of Bitcoin Magazine now, including myself and Vitalik, and everyone is 100% dedicated to the growth of the printed publication, digital publication, and some exciting expansions that will come next year.

We are also planning to open the magazine more to the community, and have you more involved in the topics and interviews that will be featured in each issue of the magazine. I remember that a while ago there was a thread where the community was nominating the persons that Bitcoin Magazine should interview. I encourage these styles of actions and so far I think that we have already interviewed a couple of persons from that list.

Aside from this, I want to tell all of you that recently Bitcoin Magazine has become a place where journalists are coming to learn about bitcoin, and to ask for advice or clarifications. We have received questions from publications such as BBC and from Emirates Airlines’ Open Skies magazine. I think that it is a good thing for the community, and in fact this was one of the first reasons for founding the magazine - to have an accurate and accessible source of information regarding Bitcoin, not focusing on all the scandals but on the real economic, political, and social impacts of this new technology.

The new owners are bringing strong business experience, new capital, and new excitement to our team.  We now have more resources to improve our website, improve our writing, expand our distribution, publish digital editions, and even do a little advertising for Bitcoin Magazine around the Internet.

The goals of the magazine remain the same, regardless of this change of ownership. Everyone wants the best for the magazine and that translates in the best for the community as well. We will continue to improve, as we did with each issue starting from issue #1.

If you order a Christmas bundle, or if you already have all the issues, align them one next to each other and you will see the continued improvement. Starting from issue #5 you can also see that we have decreased the clip art/photos ratio and we will continue to go in that direction until we will find the perfect balance between the two of them.

I think that we are heading in the right direction and to support this claim I am posting one of our readers’ feedback message:

“Dear Editor(s),

I just wanted to say that I use your magazine as a tool when I'm presenting Bitcoin to people who haven't heard of it or don't know much about it and want to pass along the feedback I'm getting from the field. Before that, I want to say thank you for all of your hard work! I do really enjoy the publication and look forward to many future issues!

So here's my feedback: When I am showing the magazine to people who are unfamiliar w/Bitcoin, there is a pretty significant difference in interest shown between the magazines that I have (Issues #3 & #4) and even between the articles that people seem willing to read and are interested in.

You may already know where I'm going with this... Issue #3 - People seemed to totally dismiss. They looked at the cover, saw a comic of a gorilla & a shark driving a car and the conversation took a turn as if they weren't really interested in teenage kids games. They sat the magazine down without opening, or if they did look in it at all, they seemed to see more of the same style graphics and even a couple said "What is this a comic book?". At any rate they did not take me or Bitcoin seriously - at all.

Issue #4: With it's more corporate looking cover and some professional looking ads (IE: back cover, Bitpay inner cover, BFL, and Bitcoin Wireless Ad) they seemed to tend to believe me that Bitcoin is a viable up and coming technology. The more mainstream graphics like "Bitcoin for Beginners" and the "Int'l Payment Svcs Comparison" were of particular interest and door openers to further questions and conversations. They spent much more time perusing the magazine and talking with me about BTC further.

(...)

Since the latest current issue (#4) seems to be positively received by people new to BTC, I plan to buy about 8 copies to give to family & friends as Christmas gifts. (also serves to give them more info on what I've been telling them about)

Thanks for your time & all of your hard and important work!”

To conclude, I would like to assure you that the magazine’s integrity will not be affected in any way by the change of ownership, and that the changes will definitely be beneficial both for the magazine and the community as a whole. Also if you have any suggestions please send them to help@bitcoinmagazine.com and we will take them in consideration.

Thank you all for your continued support!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 02:51:19 AM

So what you are saying is, you kicked out the only person who is not a crazy person,

then let the magazine die a horrible death exactly as I predicted, which you were denying all along,

then get rescued by a buch of people who definitely need bitcoin magazine to further run just a little while, so their scam lives until the end of "fuck you got mine".

Is this what you're saying is happening? Because it pretty damn much sounds like exactly what is happening.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 02:59:23 AM

Do you think its fair one of the new owners ran off with thousands of bitcoins from selling securities that collapsed on glbse ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110507.0

I am never buying a copy of your magazine again while its owned by scammers.

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 03:03:44 AM

Do you think its fair one of the new owners ran off with thousands of bitcoins from selling securities that collapsed on glbse ?

Jonathan Ryan Owens has nothing to do with Bitcoin Magazine.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 03:07:27 AM

Jonathan Ryan Owens has nothing to do with Bitcoin Magazine.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2012/05/bitcoins-hogwarts-san-francisco-tech.html  I must have imagined it....

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 03:13:18 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2012, 03:48:45 AM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Thank you for the magazine Mihai.  It is, indeed, a quality product.  I hand out copies regularly as as evangelism tool.

Best of luck.  The suggestion I'd make for the long term, as the Bitcoin newsflow increases, would be to consider doing like some other publications, and rolling out a weekly podcast to complement the written material.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 03:16:12 AM

I hand out copies regularly as as evangelism tool.

Like i say: Not a currency. A Religion.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 03:54:33 AM

Yep, but rest assured that, unlike all the others, Bitcoin is the one true religion Wink
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 04:53:09 AM

Money is a religion.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 04:57:56 AM

Money is a religion.

Silly faith.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:04:36 AM

Money is a religion.

Silly faith.

The church of bitcoin was founded on October 25th in order to grant bitcoin users a non regional spiritual outlet
 Cheesy

bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:05:36 AM

this ^^

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:09:34 AM

back on topic.

Thank you!

I have always thought Bitcoin Magazine was a project worth supporting.
although I'm not much of a magazine person i did pick up the first 2 issues.

Keep up the good work!

bitstarter

Activity: 300

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:10:34 AM

back on topic.

Thank you!

I have always thought Bitcoin Magazine was a project worth supporting.
although I'm not much of a magazine person i did pick up the first 2 issues.

Keep up the good work!

I plan on doing the same thing once I get my BTC back from Nefario lol

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 07:17:35 AM

I want to thank all of the Bitcoin Magazine team and especially the new investors for their hard work and money and for pulling through this rought patch together.

Bitcoin Magazine is in my mind one of the most important parts of the bitcoin ecosphere. It's exactly what we need: education of the masses and a professional public presence in meatspace.

Surely I am hoping it will remain "free press" as Mihai promised. My slight pain in seeing yet another main bitcoin endeavour becoming to be based in the United States is a personal bias of mine playing out. (Not that I don't love the people of North America, but you guys live in a political environment that is moving fast towards some sort of authoritarian regime that cannot be good for anyone, neither the people nor the businesses.)

Btw: if anyone thinks the mag is malbalanced in some way or another, they can just present their own articles to the team. They are very open about this as far as I can tell and they seem to want to cover a very broad range of topics. I am not in a position to invite people, but I am sure if someone wants to contribute they will be received with open arms.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 03:40:57 PM

So when does the people who paid for a 3 or 12 issue bundle get the free secret present they were promised upon subscription?

HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 04:01:42 PM

Well good luck, magazines are a buisness model that troubles me but again good luck.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 05:01:19 PM

good luck, will be looking for new content to read Tongue
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 07:24:40 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2013, 06:41:24 PM by Vladimir

It is my understanding, based on what little information I have, that the transfer of ownership of Bitcoin Magazine has been done improperly (if the article about new ownership published on bitcoinmagazine.net is true). This is because no proper shareholder vote was done and they have attempted to conceal this matter from at least some shareholders.

I own a significant amount of shares in Bittalk Media Ltd and I am not aware about any shareholder votes related to any significant property transactions nor have I received any consideration for any property of the company or for my shares. Not to mention that annual employment contracts received by some look too much like bribes.

It also appears that Mihai Alisie owns domain bitcoinmagazine.com to himself (see whois) while the domain was bought by him acting in capacity of director of the company, following instructions of myself (Managing Director of the company at the time) and using company money that were specifically transferred to him for purpose of purchasing the domain.

-
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 07:32:32 PM

I was thinking what would this weeks' drama be... Now I know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: