Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:15:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Many here either want Litecoin's price to go down or hate it. But why?
He wants to protect Bitcoin from competition - 31 (29.5%)
He missed the boat (never bought or sold too early) - 20 (19%)
He wants to accumulate more at lower price - 12 (11.4%)
Technology egotism - 20 (19%)
Others - 22 (21%)
Total Voters: 69

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do they hate Litecoin?  (Read 3696 times)
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 10:30:15 PM

Feel free to add more.

Let's get to the bottom of this, maybe we can help them  Wink
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 10:32:29 PM

I dont really have an opinion on it, but tell me, whats not to hate? Whats so good about it? How is it better than any other coin?

Not being a dick, I would really like to know.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 10:39:00 PM

I dont really have an opinion on it, but tell me, whats not to hate? Whats so good about it? How is it better than any other coin?

Then just leave it alone. Hating is not good to your health.
Rockefoten

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:02:42 PM

So people curious about what advantages Litecoin has, you're saying They shouldn't investigate, just leave it alone?
That's how you're going to expand?  Smiley
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:14:36 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2012, 12:21:30 AM by bitcool

So people curious about what advantages Litecoin has, you're saying They shouldn't investigate, just leave it alone?
That's how you're going to expand?  Smiley

nah. There have been plenty of discussions on that topic, just search the forum.

I don't want to get entangled in technical detail discussions, I am more interested in some insights from psychological and philosophical angle.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:15:52 PM

The question is based on a false assumption and can't be answered truthfully.

Personally I don't hate LiteCoin but I think it's a pointless project for three reasons:

1) LiteCoin doesn't bring anything new, it's just a recompile of BitCoin with one changed variable.

2) LiteCoin appears to be a cynical attempt to recreate the early days of BitCoin. This won't work because in the early days BitCoin never had to compete with an entrenched version of itself.

3) LiteCoin has wicked supporters, particularly those that chat on the btc-e chat box. They tell blatant lies about how LiteCoin will obsolete BitCoin. They try to fool people new to BitCoin into buying or mining LiteCoin. The BitCoin community is full of scammers, the LiteCoin community appears to be worse.
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:24:33 PM

Personally I don't hate LiteCoin but I think it's a pointless project for three reasons:

1) LiteCoin doesn't bring anything new, it's just a recompile of BitCoin with one changed variable.

2) LiteCoin appears to be a cynical attempt to recreate the early days of BitCoin. This won't work because in the early days BitCoin never had to compete with an entrenched version of itself.

3) LiteCoin has wicked supporters, particularly those that chat on the btc-e chat box. They tell blatant lies about how LiteCoin will obsolete BitCoin. They try to fool people new to BitCoin into buying or mining LiteCoin. The BitCoin community is full of scammers, the LiteCoin community appears to be worse.

I am disappointed with your knowledge of Litecoin and Litecoin community.
sd

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:36:22 PM

I am disappointed with your knowledge of Litecoin and Litecoin community.

I am disappointed with LiteCoin and the LiteCoin community.

Don't try and imply that LiteCoin is anything other than BitCoin with a single changed variable, because it isn't.

Don't try and imply that the whole LiteCoin project is anything other than a cynical attempt to recreate the early days of BitCoin as a get rich scheme.

Don't try and imply that the LiteCoin community are even up to the generally bad level of behavior of the BitCoin Community, because from what I have seen they are far worse.

live627

Activity: 574

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:46:10 PM

Not to mention that the recent influx of hashing power made Litecoin absolutely ridiculous to mine. See the recent massive difff changes.. Enough to anger me.
Nicksasa

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 11:47:26 PM

And what is that variable then according to you're knowledge ? Just curious.

bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:47:37 PM

What assumption?

Personally I don't hate LiteCoin but ...
Yes you do.

Wrong. I think what you were referring was the block generation rate and total.
The most significant difference is the encryption (as in cryptocurrency) algorithm. It's not a variable, it's part of the foundation on which a cryptocurrency is built.

If you still think you are not a Litecoin hater, just count how many derogatory/negative words you've used in one paragraph.
Whenever money is involved, there are always people trying to cheat or steal from you, you just need to be aware of that. I've done many transactions in both BTC and LTC and never got scammed. I've sold quite a few items in LTC, and found the user community mostly trustworthy.

I hope you can have more positive and brighter view of the world around you.

live627

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:50:18 PM

And what is that variable then according to you're knowledge ? Just curious.
Come again?
Nicksasa

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 11:51:07 PM

live627

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 11:52:49 PM

LOL
andrew12

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 02:39:49 AM

Why would you start out hating something? The reasons Litecoin was created are laid out on the site. Many other coins got 51%'d or just didn't get enough attention. Litecoin was hyped to ensure that it could not be attacked and there would not be any particular person with many Litecoins at the start, unlike other coins that had a massive premine.
fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 03:42:29 AM

Wrong. I think what you were referring was the block generation rate and total.
The most significant difference is the encryption (as in cryptocurrency) algorithm. It's not a variable, it's part of the foundation on which a cryptocurrency is built.

SHA256 used in Bitcoin, Terracoin and few other cryptocoins is property of USA. If only people know what that really means ...

The USA has outlived multiple currencies since its inception - most but not all called the Dollar.  Property of the USA does not mean property of the Federal Reserve.  I don't think the USA has a dog in this fight.
sd

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 07:43:22 PM

Personally I don't hate LiteCoin but ...
Yes you do.

You have answered your own question in your own way. 'They' hate LiteCoin because anyone who anyone who isn't a fanboi is a hater. No alternatives exist in your mind.

You have no reason to ask questions if you are certain of the answers. I'm just glad I don't live in your black and white world.
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 08:03:28 PM

You have answered your own question in your own way. 'They' hate LiteCoin because anyone who anyone who isn't a fanboi is a hater. No alternatives exist in your mind.

You have no reason to ask questions if you are certain of the answers. I'm just glad I don't live in your black and white world.

Wrong again.  You have every rights to stay away from Litecoin if you don't like it, trying to spread your bad feelings toward anything is unnecessary.  

Questions: Many here either want Litecoin's price to go down or hate it. But why?

For example, after some research I felt I dislike certain aspect of a new alt chain currency; but instead of badmouthing it, I simply chose to ignore it and moved on. The result: a better, happier healthier life.

Why is that so hard?

kalleguld

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 12:21:14 AM

You have every rights to stay away from Litecoin if you don't like it, trying to spread your bad feelings toward anything is unnecessary.
Didn't you start this topic to hear why people didn't like Litecoin? Now you're effectively telling him to shut up.

Technically, that's a variable. There are several encryption schemes that could be used to make a cryptocurrency. Bitcoin chose one, Litecoin another.
Also, you chose to nitpick instead of acknowledging sd's point. I hope you are not representative of the Litecoin community, because you are not doing a good job at that.
bitcool (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 03:14:04 AM

Didn't you start this topic to hear why people didn't like Litecoin? Now you're effectively telling him to shut up.
I didn't tell him to shut up, what I suggested was to move attention away from the things he hates. It's part of the healing process of a psychological disorder (hate) .

Technically, that's a variable. There are several encryption schemes that could be used to make a cryptocurrency. Bitcoin chose one, Litecoin another.
Here is the definition of "variable":  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_(computer_science)

In a broader sense, technically the entire human history is just a variable in the grand picture of cosmic evolution  Grin, but I guess we have to stick to the context of sd's first post. Reread it please.

Also, you chose to nitpick instead of acknowledging sd's point. I hope you are not representative of the Litecoin community, because you are not doing a good job at that.

Nitpick? There were five paragraphs in sd's "points", and I commented four of them, the only one I left out was:
    >> 2) LiteCoin appears to be a cynical attempt to recreate the early days of BitCoin

If he didn't know Litecoin uses a different encryption algorithm, why would I bother commenting?

I hope you are not representative of the Litecoin community, because you are not doing a good job at that.
Representative? Thank you for the compliment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: