Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:00:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Many here either want Litecoin's price to go down or hate it. But why?
He wants to protect Bitcoin from competition - 31 (29.5%)
He missed the boat (never bought or sold too early) - 20 (19%)
He wants to accumulate more at lower price - 12 (11.4%)
Technology egotism - 20 (19%)
Others - 22 (21%)
Total Voters: 69

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do they hate Litecoin?  (Read 3690 times)
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 03:44:23 AM

1) LiteCoin doesn't bring anything new, it's just a recompile of BitCoin with one changed variable.
Wrong. I think what you were referring was the block generation rate and total.
The most significant difference is the encryption (as in cryptocurrency) algorithm. It's not a variable, it's part of the foundation on which a cryptocurrency is built.

SHA256 used in Bitcoin, Terracoin and few other cryptocoins is property of USA. If only people know what that really means ...

THIS.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 03:49:39 AM

1) LiteCoin doesn't bring anything new, it's just a recompile of BitCoin with one changed variable.
The most significant difference is the encryption (as in cryptocurrency) algorithm. It's not a variable, it's part of the foundation on which a cryptocurrency is built.

SHA256 used in Bitcoin, Terracoin and few other cryptocoins is property of USA. If only people know what that really means ...

THIS.

US government can claim intellectual property rights to the bitcoin system?!?!?!??!

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:33:52 AM

THIS.

US government can claim intellectual property rights to the bitcoin system?!?!?!??!

In cryptography, SHA-2 is a set of cryptographic hash functions (SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512) designed by the National Security Agency (NSA) and published in 2001 by the NIST as a U.S. Federal Information Processing Standard. SHA stands for Secure Hash Algorithm.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 12:11:02 PM

If a few people want to hate on litecoin for whatever reason, let them. From everything I have seen, even this thread, most bitcoiners actually support litecoin. Of course its difficult to measure the exact level of community support, but at the very least the number of bitcointalk members mining litecoin seems fairly encouraging.
meebs

Activity: 616

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:14:26 PM

THIS.

In cryptography, SHA-2 is a set of cryptographic hash functions (SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512) designed by the National Security Agency (NSA) and published in 2001 by the NIST as a U.S. Federal Information Processing Standard. SHA stands for Secure Hash Algorithm.

Also, as somebody else has mentioned, the US gov't has control over the "export" of this, for example it would be illegal to put it in the hands of iranians or what not.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:25:51 AM

If a few people want to hate on litecoin for whatever reason, let them. From everything I have seen, even this thread, most bitcoiners actually support litecoin. Of course its difficult to measure the exact level of community support, but at the very least the number of bitcointalk members mining litecoin seems fairly encouraging.

we need a litecoin subforum instead of just having everything in "alternative cryptocurrencies"

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:47:02 AM

http://forum.litecoin.net/index.php

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:50:59 AM

IMO, litecoin is kinda pointless. There are very few services that accept them & it has very few advantages over Bitcoin. 99% of litecoin users are using it as a get-rich-quick scheme by either mining the crap out of it (using GPU's even though its original purpose was to be unprofitable to GPU mine on) or just buying and hoping the value goes up.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:53:20 AM

IMO, litecoin is kinda pointless. There are very few services that accept them & it has very few advantages over Bitcoin. 99% of litecoin users are using it as a get-rich-quick scheme by either mining the crap out of it (using GPU's even though its original purpose was to be unprofitable to GPU mine on) or just buying and hoping the value goes up.

This is how BTC started. Let's talk in about 2 years and 10 months when LTC blocks halve.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:54:46 AM

This is how BTC started. Let's talk in about 2 years and 10 months when LTC blocks halve.

if litecoin is around and not picked up yet maybe that will make or break it

Blazr

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:57:10 AM

Sure it uses SHA-256 which was developed by NSA, but so does EVERYTHING. Banks & fortune 500's use SHA-256, Facebook use SHA-256 for its password database, many Linux distro's store user password's using SHA-256, heck even the software that is running this forum (SMF) has an option to use SHA-256 to hash the password database & I would assume this is the option that is currently being used.

You're totally right about it being property of the US government & AFAIK you technically need a license to use it which obviously we don't have, that isn't a huge problem though, take a look at Linux, many distro's violate a bunch of software patents & licenses and nothing happens from it.

If only people know what that really means ...

I'd love to know what you think it really means.

Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:18:32 AM

Sure it uses SHA-256 which was developed by NSA, but so does EVERYTHING. Banks & fortune 500's use SHA-256, Facebook use SHA-256 for its password database, many Linux distro's store user password's using SHA-256, heck even the software that is running this forum (SMF) has an option to use SHA-256 to hash the password database & I would assume this is the option that is currently being used.

You're totally right about it being property of the US government & AFAIK you technically need a license to use it which obviously we don't have, that isn't a huge problem though, take a look at Linux, many distro's violate a bunch of software patents & licenses and nothing happens from it.

Actually as a standard published by the US government, SHA-256 is in the public domain. All government publications released to the public automatically enter the public domain.

pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:23:02 AM

i got cryptogold -> bitcoin

and

i got cryptosilver -> litecoin

and

some cryptocopper -> namecoin

happy mining
;-))

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
Blazr

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:27:49 AM

Actually as a standard published by the US government, SHA-256 is in the public domain. All government publications released to the public automatically enter the public domain.

You're right, so we aren't even in violation of any licensing agreements (I was sure there was some sort of license, apparently not),

EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:20:47 PM

It is beyond retarded to hate inanimate object like a pile of code - in this case it's litecoin.

I think when people say they "hate Microsoft", what they really mean is they have understood what a pile of shit MS software really is and they disapprove business practises used buy Microsoft while selling (most of the time forcefully) their crap. Nothing wrong about "hating" scumbag companies and greedy fuckers who run them.

At the same time, nobody is force-feeding you the LTC code nor the concepts implemented in LTC. You are free to chose.
If you think LTC is just a 1:1 copy, you really need to spend 10 more min. reading about LTC. Sure, it's nothing revolutionary (or is it?), but LTC still has advantages over BTC, when it comes to usefulness in business environment.

Childish statements like "litecoin users are using it as a get-rich-quick scheme" are kinda funny. If you believe that BTC and LTC are different in that department, the you are just wrong. Smiley
Most people who mine any of those coins think only about the money. If LTC is a scam, BTC and all the rest are scams too - if same parameters for defining a "scam" are used. 
Same applies to "just buying and hoping the value goes up." - no difference at all. Gold anyone? Smiley

As of today, LTC is the only successful alt-coin - it's still alive (1y+), doing well and is getting ready for the big time.

As of now, there are 2 good alternatives to BTC - LTC and PPC.
If LTC implements some of the interesting ideas of PPC, we are probably going to have a winner (if it's even possible any more)

There will be many alternative coins down the road. You can be like some of the dim witted fucks around this forum and "hate them" with all you get... until you get a heart attack and keel over for good (please do it BEFORE! you procreate) LOL

Cheers!

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Blazr

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 05:46:45 PM

Childish statements like "litecoin users are using it as a get-rich-quick scheme" are kinda funny. If you believe that BTC and LTC are different in that department, the you are just wrong. Smiley

I completely do. I don't buy BTC and hope that the value goes up, I buy BTC to spend.

Let me ask you this, what other reasons is there to buy LTC, other than hoping the value goes up?

Also, I'd just like to point out that I don't hate Litecoin, in fact I used to use it back when it was a true CPU chain & it was being accept for products/services, but now I honestly fail to see the point of it, I don't think there is a big enough market for altchains that directly compete with Bitcoin at the moment.

dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 06:33:47 PM

You're right, so we aren't even in violation of any licensing agreements (I was sure there was some sort of license, apparently not),
No license is being violated.  There is lots of FUD in this thread.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
wikiaki

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:45:32 PM

LiteCoin is (previous crypto currencies)

not innovative
a copy

For me it is a waste of time and money.  Cool

bitcool (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:00:33 PM

I completely do. I don't buy BTC and hope that the value goes up, I buy BTC to spend.

Let me ask you this, what other reasons is there to buy LTC, other than hoping the value goes up?

Also, I'd just like to point out that I don't hate Litecoin, in fact I used to use it back when it was a true CPU chain & it was being accept for products/services, but now I honestly fail to see the point of it, I don't think there is a big enough market for altchains that directly compete with Bitcoin at the moment.
but some people do spend LTC:
http://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/board,7.0.html

To further prove my point, if you pay LTC, I'd sell you a few silver bars at 10% discount comparing to what is priced in BTC:
  http://coinabul.com/silver/index.php/silver-sorted-by-weight/sunshine-minting-1-oz-bar.html

what do you think?

coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 10:30:51 PM

I certainly don't understand why people are "against" litecoin for whatever reasons, as fickle as they may be - "I hate it because of kids in a chat box on one site!"   Roll Eyes

I like litecoin purely for the fact that I can easily and quickly exchange it with bitcoin, and as I've said in another post, by proxy that makes it as useful as bitcoin.  Most other currencies become a hassle to exchange due to regulations/AML/KYC/etc.  Also I consider it a hedge for people "investing" in crypto-currencies.  Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

There are also many other potential uses.  For instance, people concerned with anonymity could utilize a few hops between LTC/BTC chains to obfuscate a transaction trail.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: