Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:51:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I created a wiki entry for Pirate  (Read 2441 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 09:30:14 PM

There should be some documentation of his (mis)deeds in the wiki.

I started this measly article, if anyone who knows more about the situation would like to fill in more details for posterity, be my guest.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 09:43:56 PM

There should be some documentation of his (mis)deeds in the wiki.

I started this measly article, if anyone who knows more about the situation would like to fill in more details for posterity, be my guest.
Nice idea, tones of info here that should be put up on this site.  I thought there was someone or a group attempting to put allot of information together to go after pirate, what came of that?

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:00:54 AM

nice and short but i can already see factual problems

the exact amount he stole is unknown. the 500k btc ($5mill) figure came from people doing block chain analysis and seeing him loop his transactions through Silkroad, but misinterpreting the 500k stash as pirates, where in fact it was Silk roads.

it might be best to leave it to the guys that are at the top of the investigations to fill in the page. or even not make it an issue to be worthy of mentioning and try to keep bitcoins history as clean as possible instead of just highlighting the bad at every opportunity. maybe make pages for positive bitcoin history.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 04:47:00 AM

nice and short but i can already see factual problems

the exact amount he stole is unknown. the 500k btc ($5mill) figure came from people doing block chain analysis and seeing him loop his transactions through Silkroad, but misinterpreting the 500k stash as pirates, where in fact it was Silk roads.

it might be best to leave it to the guys that are at the top of the investigations to fill in the page. or even not make it an issue to be worthy of mentioning and try to keep bitcoins history as clean as possible instead of just highlighting the bad at every opportunity. maybe make pages for positive bitcoin history.

People need to know. I fixed this error and made the btc amount a conjecture.
The page was created when someone asked me on reddit who exactly was pirate, and thought he either stole $500,000 or $50,000,000, both are probably wrong.

Everyone, if you see errors or just ways the article can be improved, please edit, it is a wiki after all.

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:50:15 AM

Feel free to swipe info/references from here:

http://bitcoinmagazine.net/the-pirate-saga-and-so-it-ends/

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:47:22 AM

Still haven't seen anyone post the supposed business scheme of pirate after he defaulted...

Quite a few people claimed to have "a quite good idea" of what he's doing, afterwards they defaulted with him though. Total amounts of BTC that went to and from pirate can be deducted from the blockchain (with real scrapers, not PatrickHarnett's "Stare at it long enough and patterns emerge magically and you know that pirate is legit!").

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:48:40 AM

Someone made a BTCST wikipedia page that was taken down.
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 10:06:22 PM

So the amount is now up to $13 million worth at $27ish.  Wow.
BigFigurez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:44:11 PM

I don't get it, why don't you guys call the police or file a report on him, you have all his information. I mean come on $13M is a lot of money.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 12:49:54 PM

I don't get it, why don't you guys call the police or file a report on him, you have all his information. I mean come on $13M is a lot of money.

I believe some people did file a complaint - perhaps someone can update here/in the wiki if they have more information.

Personally I'm not part of "you guys", as Pirate doesn't owe me anything, I just started the thread to collect some information about him.

EricTyle

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 03:35:52 PM

Still a small Ponzi Scheme. Smiley

When ZeekRewards toppled, it was worth 600M. ProfitClicking is the biggest currently-running Ponzi Scheme

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:55:06 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2013, 01:59:27 PM by Vandroiy

The 500k number was never backed with anything except "omg there's a wallet with 500k, it must be PIRATE". At the time, everything that happened was accounted to "Pirate"; people treated him as the god that made all things in Bitcoin possible. AFAIK the amount he took is unknown. He did some crazy exchange dumps at 9-7 (people said he announced them in advance so it should've been real).

Some people did work on uncovering his money flows, but nobody cared until everything was long over. There was also GPUMax, a large meta-mining site that magically paid out peoples' BS&T deposits instead of newly mined coins... Roll Eyes

Oh well. Those were crazy times. Time for a drink.

(That's cherry juice. I don't drink and post, I'm just crazy from the start. Cheesy )

Edit: before people think evil things: I was on the anti-Ponzi side, got the glass as a present from people who watched the show.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: