Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 08:44:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a Better Asset right now: Silver or Bitcoins?  (Read 1658 times)
drillbit (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:03:36 AM

I see a lot of posts that generate a number of responses in the marketplace offering silver for sale. Its quite amazing that people are wiling to sell things like precious metals for Bitcoins. It makes sense, I just can't believe the world we live in. I have some silver-not a lot, some to "diversify my portfolio". What do you guys think? Would you rather have (if you can figure an equivelant amount) x amount of Silver or x amount of Bitcoins?
JonMcAlpine

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:17:55 AM

I'd rather have silver because the value of Silver remains the same however the value of Bitcoins are changing.
dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:26:40 AM

stick to silver and gold.. keep bitcoin a hobby

poop!
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:31:37 AM

I'd rather have silver because the value of Silver remains the same however the value of Bitcoins are changing.

Not sure I follow. Both silver and BTC are fairly volatile investments in terms of FRNs.

I have both and I like them equally. Forced to choose which to put fiat into right at this time I'd choose BTC, largely because I have more into AG, but also because I have some investments I'd like to capitalize.

iluvpcs

Activity: 314

:)

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:36:39 AM

I look at it this way.  Silver, Gold, Platinum, copper, cash, physical assets (cars, house), stock, bonds, 401k, etc...

It's all about not having all your eggs in one basket.

I wouldn't trade Silver for BC, but I think having money in different forms is important if one goes away or goes to the tank you still have a form of trade/barter.

--Ted
JonMcAlpine

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 02:53:55 AM

Not sure I follow. Both silver and BTC are fairly volatile investments in terms of FRNs.

I have both and I like them equally. Forced to choose which to put fiat into right at this time I'd choose BTC, largely because I have more into AG, but also because I have some investments I'd like to capitalize.

All I mean is both BTC and Silver are great however BTC are changing all the time, like now you get BTC25 for a block instead of BTC50 and other things too.

Silver always remains the same and has no chance of being shut down or hacked.  Smiley

Also, Silver is physical; I believe there needs to be a physical form of Bitcoin.
drillbit (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 03:53:42 AM

All I mean is both BTC and Silver are great however BTC are changing all the time, like now you get BTC25 for a block instead of BTC50 and other things too.

Silver always remains the same and has no chance of being shut down or hacked.  Smiley

Also, Silver is physical; I believe there needs to be a physical form of Bitcoin.
Thanks for sharing everyone. I agree in a diverse portfolio, too. Why is it so important for bitcoins to be physical? I know there are some services that send your coins to "cold storage" and effectively put them on paper. I think as long as you have a good wallet there is no need for BTC to become physical. The only benefit to them becoming physical (I'm assuming in addition to digital) is that it would facilitate face to face transactions. But in a world of smartphones and other capable devices, I don't think its really practical or necessary to have bitcoins be a physical entity.
I also wanted to point out that bitcoins are similar to precious methods when you think about it. I think merely making money and keeping it in the bank is a terrible idea of investing. Our money supply (thanks to the Fed) has the potential to be infinite, leading to deflation, making your hard-earned dollars constantly worth less. Did you know the Fed plan to eliminate the penny nickel and dime? That should say something. Our money isn't even worth the cheap metal alloys its minted on. I like BTC because their supply is finite. I understand that not all BTC in existence have been "mined", and thus there might be temporary lapses in their value. But, once all bitcoins are mined, no more are going to be produced. This is just like precious metals. Supply remains constant, while demand does not-that is the essence of an investment. I just think its really something to be impressed about that people are trading precious metals for Bitcoins. My portfolio will remain diversified-I have bitcoins and I have Silver. Money in the bank-of course some, but I have very little faith in the dollar. My portfolio contains lots of real estate, stock, precious metals and now...Bitcoins.
JonMcAlpine

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:04:38 AM

Thanks for sharing everyone. I agree in a diverse portfolio, too. Why is it so important for bitcoins to be physical? I know there are some services that send your coins to "cold storage" and effectively put them on paper. I think as long as you have a good wallet there is no need for BTC to become physical. The only benefit to them becoming physical (I'm assuming in addition to digital) is that it would facilitate face to face transactions. But in a world of smartphones and other capable devices, I don't think its really practical or necessary to have bitcoins be a physical entity.
I also wanted to point out that bitcoins are similar to precious methods when you think about it. I think merely making money and keeping it in the bank is a terrible idea of investing. Our money supply (thanks to the Fed) has the potential to be infinite, leading to deflation, making your hard-earned dollars constantly worth less. Did you know the Fed plan to eliminate the penny nickel and dime? That should say something. Our money isn't even worth the cheap metal alloys its minted on. I like BTC because their supply is finite. I understand that not all BTC in existence have been "mined", and thus there might be temporary lapses in their value. But, once all bitcoins are mined, no more are going to be produced. This is just like precious metals. Supply remains constant, while demand does not-that is the essence of an investment. I just think its really something to be impressed about that people are trading precious metals for Bitcoins. My portfolio will remain diversified-I have bitcoins and I have Silver. Money in the bank-of course some, but I have very little faith in the dollar. My portfolio contains lots of real estate, stock, precious metals and now...Bitcoins.

I completely agree with you, the idea of them being physical is for security and replacing money so people will trust it more (will probably takes years to happen anyway). But yes, money is a scam whereas Bitcoin and Silver are not; however Silver is more safe because it's physical.
creativex

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:07:56 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=129399.0

JonMcAlpine

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:10:54 AM

Thank you for the link. Smiley
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:11:01 AM

Funny! Silver is the 2nd most volatile commodity out there, just behind bitcoins.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
JonMcAlpine

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:17:59 AM

Funny! Silver is the 2nd most volatile commodity out there, just behind bitcoins.

How so?
creativex

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:22:59 AM

It's value in fiat changes a lot.

Gold is rather tranquil by comparison.

JonMcAlpine

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:37:59 AM

It's value in fiat changes a lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/timonex/ag85-pres.gif

Gold is rather tranquil by comparison.

Yeah but that's the value of money changing not silver.
creativex

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 04:59:38 AM

That is precisely why I worded it the way I did.

That's not the whole story though. Gold value measured in FRNs does not experience such wild % swings, primarily because the gold market is several times larger than the silver market. The bottom line is silver and BTC value measured in FRNs fluctuates a lot. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can cause one to experience sleepless nights until you have been through a few corrections. 

JonMcAlpine

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 05:34:52 AM

That is precisely why I worded it the way I did.

That's not the whole story though. Gold value measured in FRNs does not experience such wild % swings, primarily because the gold market is several times larger than the silver market. The bottom line is silver and BTC value measured in FRNs fluctuates a lot. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can cause one to experience sleepless nights until you have been through a few corrections. 

Oh right yeah fair enough I guess you're right.

Imagine a cryptocurrency backed by Silver and Gold, would be wonderful. Smiley
Endgame

Activity: 412

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:58:23 AM

Obviously a diversified portfolio with both Silver and Bitcoin would be preferred. But if I was choosing between the two right now, I would have to choose bitcoin. It has a lot more upward potential than silver right now imo. Silver is already relatively highly priced after the run up of the last few years, whereas bitcoin's run up is much closer to the beginning.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 12:04:37 PM

what do you want? a super safe store of value with 5000 years of historical precedent or the one lottery ticket to rule them all.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
creativex

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 07:32:32 PM

Umm...I want some of each actually.

bitcoin02

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 07:38:31 PM

ready for risk ? test bitcoin. either way silver is always best