Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:02:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-12-10 BitInstant's GenesisBlock - The Controversy of Bankhood  (Read 1339 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 05:21:11 PM

Written in response to the controversy surrounding Paymium's bank announcement last week.

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/12/10/the-controversy-of-bankhood.html
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 06:03:35 PM

For Bitcoin to succeed, bridges must be built with the traditional financial system, so that individuals can move back and forth between Bitcoinworld and the normal world. As this gets easier and easier, and people (of all kinds, not just those ideologically motivated) grow comfortable with Bitcoin, it will gradually replace those legacy systems, and perhaps, if this experiment succeeds, those old systems will start crumbling and falling apart, as individuals gradually chose the superior Bitcoin system instead of them.

But this is a process, and can never happen if Bitcoin remains isolated from the normal financial world. A life boat can never save anyone if it does not first go pick up the survivors.

Thanks for sharing this great quote

davout
Legendary

Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 06:05:58 PM

For Bitcoin to succeed, bridges must be built with the traditional financial system, so that individuals can move back and forth between Bitcoinworld and the normal world. As this gets easier and easier, and people (of all kinds, not just those ideologically motivated) grow comfortable with Bitcoin, it will gradually replace those legacy systems, and perhaps, if this experiment succeeds, those old systems will start crumbling and falling apart, as individuals gradually chose the superior Bitcoin system instead of them.

But this is a process, and can never happen if Bitcoin remains isolated from the normal financial world. A life boat can never save anyone if it does not first go pick up the survivors.

Thanks for sharing this great quote from Daniel Stuckey
No that was Erik's comment on Stuckey's article.
You should go read it, make your own opinion about it, I had a good laugh.

Also Erik, your article just nails it.

knight22
Legendary

Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 06:11:29 PM

ooops! corrected

evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 06:15:48 PM

Thanks for sharing this great quote from Daniel Stuckey
You should go read it, make your own opinion about it, I had a good laugh.

Also Erik, your article just nails it.

Thought you'd like it Davout Wink
davout
Legendary

Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 06:19:50 PM

Thought you'd like it Davout Wink
I'll confess a slight bias, I'll watch with the other reactions with interest Smiley

Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 06:41:38 PM

Great writing as always, evoorhees!

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 07:16:21 PM

+1 good stuff, shared to my feeds.

In general, bitcoin is just a tool, and there is nothing wrong with some bitcoin users choosing to associate with the legacy banking industry.

Seeing as how 90%+ of the planet is tied into the "legacy" banking system in some way, if we want to convert people to using bitcoin, interfacing makes a lot of sense.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:26:02 AM

+1 good stuff, shared to my feeds.

In general, bitcoin is just a tool, and there is nothing wrong with some bitcoin users choosing to associate with the legacy banking industry.

Seeing as how 90%+ of the planet is tied into the "legacy" banking system in some way, if we want to convert people to using bitcoin, interfacing makes a lot of sense.

Yep, software industry is identical analogy.  For dislodging entrenched products in an mature space, backwards compatibility is a must-have feature.  Bitcoin-Central is simply providing an opt-in service for people who are not yet ready (or able) to earn and spend exclusively in Bitcoin.  Which is the majority of individuals on the planet at the moment.

I'm sure everyone here, myself included, would love to abandon legacy banking altogether and deal exclusively in Bitcoin.  But that's a bit like wanting to use GUIs exclusively in the 1973 just because you'd seen a Xerox Alto and recognized its superiority to everything else.  The Bitcoin infrastructure and ecosystem needs to grow and mature substantially before anyone can commit to living in a Bitcoin-only universe.  Until then, backwards compatibility is a necessary evil.  It's only a problem if it's mandatory, which clearly isn't the case here: the protocol is unchanged, and the p2p local exchanges are all still up and running.

And, as people pointed out in the other thread, any threat to anonymity from these kinds of integration services is inconsequential versus the big gaping privacy hole which Satoshi unfortunately left open. Anyone truly concerned about increased traceability should be lobbying for the protocol and client to support mixing natively (and by default) for every transaction.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 02:39:50 AM

Very nice, evo!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 12:55:34 PM

Thanks for your detailed article Evo, I find it right to the point.
I'm usually 100% with Jon but this time I think he is wrong.
Big time.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: