Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:37:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restricting Voting to "Stakeholders"  (Read 605 times)
Trent Russell (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

willmathforcrypto.com

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 09:23:28 AM

This morning a user made a (largely off topic) post in the Clams thread. Clams is proof-of-stake and recently implemented a way for stakers to vote on petitions. Some people have complained, and one of the complaints was expressed in the post this morning:

This brings me to the second point and return to the issue of stakeholder democracy.  As stated previously, the idea generally seems grand to those deemed stakeholders or pigs found to be more equal than others.  This leads the lesser equals with little alternative but to be at the mercy of equals?  I should congratulate Clamour for not being like this in the way Marxism and various off shoots are, several people have stated this is about being unequal and securing that fact.  The fact is you have disenfranchised a large portion of the user base with this system.  I can neither vote nor add a petition for several reasons.  The first is I have no Clams and therefor any vote I cast will count for zero under the staking allocation of votes.  The second is that I am unable to run the Clam client of on my PC due to the poor DSL and wallet software drastically slowing down my rig.  I downloaded it but it never synced and is too far behind now to try again without leaving it running for sev
 eral days.  Don't even try to say download the torrent.

This system is very similar to the the early American restriction of voters to male property owners.  The U.S. and Anglosphere have the remarkable ability to reform themselves which is probably why we have avoided internal revolutions.  The unfairness of male property owners having an outsized voice in society has long been known.  In fact, we in the U.S. deliberately expressed the ability of any person 18 years or older, with very few exceptions, to cast their vote by amending the Constitution by explicitly stating it.  There are countless people whose voices are silenced even though they use Clam regularly but don't stake any.  It gets even better.  Clams is substantially more dependent on the disenfranchised then by the currently blessed stakeholders.

I've heard before that in the early U.S. voting was restricted to male property owners, and assume it's largely true. (History is usually more complicated in the details.) Obviously in the past 200 years  the U.S. has extended voting rights beyond property owners (and beyond males and even dropped to the age of 18). The arguments for allowing "non-stakeholders" to vote are expressed above.

I'm posting this in the Politics section (where I don't usually look) because it reminds me of something I hear sometimes from my fellow Europeans: Why don't we get to vote in U.S. elections? The argument goes that the U.S. has an outsized influence in the world and certainly affects Europeans. The argument against it is obvious: only U.S. citizens should be able to vote in U.S. elections. But isn't this based on the same idea as restricting voting to property owners/stakeholders? If it's different, can someone explain why? I have mixed feelings. I would to some degree like to vote in U.S. elections. But it terrifies me to think of United Stations voting in Spanish elections.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:27:30 PM

If we go back to the history books, there was a time where democracy was limited to taxpayers, for the very simple reason that there was no census of any kind, nor a proper administration to count how many people were leaving in a given place. So voting rights were restricted to those who were in the records books.

If you're not registered, you don't vote. What's new today is that a homeless without a job can register.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 08:29:52 PM

lets restrict it to white and maybe asian males

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
Kefkius

Activity: 64
Merit: 20

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 01:23:59 AM

Why don't we get to vote in U.S. elections? The argument goes that the U.S. has an outsized influence in the world and certainly affects Europeans. The argument against it is obvious: only U.S. citizens should be able to vote in U.S. elections. But isn't this based on the same idea as restricting voting to property owners/stakeholders? If it's different, can someone explain why? I have mixed feelings. I would to some degree like to vote in U.S. elections. But it terrifies me to think of United Stations voting in Spanish elections.

It is indeed based on the same idea as restricting voting to property owners/stakeholders. I think that's more of a strength than a weakness. I see some pretty big problems with the premise of allowing, for example, the people of Spain to vote in USA elections. For one, you'd have to determine which countries the USA influences enough to warrant giving them suffrage. After that, you'd have to evaluate (or trust) each country's census data - otherwise, a potentially lucrative business in which countries sell their votes could pop up. There are also other issues involving the incentives of voters. If a country's people do not want to be influenced by the USA, they would vote for the worst candidate in hopes of reducing the USA's influence. For example, Russia is certainly influenced by the USA...you see where I'm going with this.

Personally (American here), I couldn't point to Tajikistan on a map of only the -stans. Asking American politicians to appeal to the people of that country would be unreasonable.

Developer of FreeBitcoins.com Clamcoin faucet.
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 09:03:09 PM

Why don't we get to vote in U.S. elections? The argument goes that the U.S. has an outsized influence in the world and certainly affects Europeans. The argument against it is obvious: only U.S. citizens should be able to vote in U.S. elections. But isn't this based on the same idea as restricting voting to property owners/stakeholders? If it's different, can someone explain why? I have mixed feelings. I would to some degree like to vote in U.S. elections. But it terrifies me to think of United Stations voting in Spanish elections.

It is indeed based on the same idea as restricting voting to property owners/stakeholders. I think that's more of a strength than a weakness. I see some pretty big problems with the premise of allowing, for example, the people of Spain to vote in USA elections. For one, you'd have to determine which countries the USA influences enough to warrant giving them suffrage. After that, you'd have to evaluate (or trust) each country's census data - otherwise, a potentially lucrative business in which countries sell their votes could pop up. There are also other issues involving the incentives of voters. If a country's people do not want to be influenced by the USA, they would vote for the worst candidate in hopes of reducing the USA's influence. For example, Russia is certainly influenced by the USA...you see where I'm going with this.

Personally (American here), I couldn't point to Tajikistan on a map of only the -stans. Asking American politicians to appeal to the people of that country would be unreasonable.

Personally I think the concept of representatives and a country might be outdated already.

What about if entity (person, company) get certain amount of voting share by the amount of tax it paid. Now you have much fairer system, no need for representatives unless the entity give the voting share rights to a representative and nationality doesnt matter because you get voting shares by paying taxes regardless who you are. This was never possible to keep such data in trustless manner before, but today with computers, internet, cryptography and blockchain technology, it is no sci-fi anymore.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: