Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:04:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are paper wallets really secure?  (Read 3295 times)
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 07:10:07 PM

It is as much secure as much you store the sensitive information in a very secure safe place, but in generally paper wallets are safe enough
fravia

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 07:14:56 PM

i created my wallet on bitaddress website and its still safe and not hacked, my bitcoins are not stolen so i guess its pretty much secure though i dont have a lot of coins to be honest, to be even more safer i believe the only option is to buy a hardware wallet and deposit your coins to it

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 08:36:50 PM

i created my wallet on bitaddress website and its still safe and not hacked, my bitcoins are not stolen so i guess its pretty much secure though i dont have a lot of coins to be honest, to be even more safer i believe the only option is to buy a hardware wallet and deposit your coins to it

I'm been playing with a few hardware wallets.  They really do add security without near as much possibility to screw up as paper wallets.  Hot wallets are kinda a different thing as they are needed for certain applications.

But honestly I make 0 money for everyone that does it. But look into hardware wallet, there are a few great choices out there.
poorshibe9

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 10:12:56 PM

i think that more secure are only hardware wallets
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 10:32:35 PM

I disagree,  I think paper wallets are more secure.  There s no way your getting it connected to the Internet and stored correctly will last forever,  how long do you think a hardware wallet would last?  Could last ages but there's parts that could fall.

makingwin1

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 11:00:27 PM

they must be if you create it without the internet connection though you need to hide the qr codes in places where no one could find
faince222

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 11:32:24 PM

Paper wallet is the best choice to save your coin. No one could stole your coin, I can ensure you this. For stole your coin thief have to have only your private key.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 11:46:35 PM

I disagree,  I think paper wallets are more secure.  There s no way your getting it connected to the Internet and stored correctly will last forever,  how long do you think a hardware wallet would last?  Could last ages but there's parts that could fall.

I don't think you have used a hardware wallet. Have you if so which one? Anyone that has should know you have have wallet seed words that you still keep safe.  Best is write them down and put in safety deposit box.  And you get hardware wallet that never let's private key on computer, and signs transactions on device.

If your wallet breaks... get a new one enter seed words on recovery and you can access old wallet.  
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 11:55:41 PM

I disagree,  I think paper wallets are more secure.  There s no way your getting it connected to the Internet and stored correctly will last forever,  how long do you think a hardware wallet would last?  Could last ages but there's parts that could fall.

I don't think you have used a hardware wallet. Have you if so which one? Anyone that has should know you have have wallet seed words that you still keep safe.  Best is write them down and put in safety deposit box.  And you get hardware wallet that never let's private key on computer, and signs transactions on device.

If your wallet breaks... get a new one enter seed words on recovery and you can access old wallet.  

I've actually never no, although id like one I don't think you could beat good old paper.  I know hardware wallets are safe just not as safe as paper imo.

HWoodrow

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 11:59:53 PM

Think that the paper wallet is the only way to keep safe your bitcoin without Internet. That's absolutely the best way to keep safe your bitcoin.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 12:02:21 AM

I don't think you have used a hardware wallet. Have you if so which one? Anyone that has should know you have have wallet seed words that you still keep safe.  Best is write them down and put in safety deposit box.  And you get hardware wallet that never let's private key on computer, and signs transactions on device.

I've actually never no, although id like one I don't think you could beat good old paper.  I know hardware wallets are safe just not as safe as paper imo.

Your basing this off no information.  You admit you never used one... so you don't have first hand knowledge.   What do you base your knowledge off of? Please show where you got info.

I suggest reading about some hardware wallets.   It is actually much safer then paper if you need access to it as it keeps the key off of the PC and signing never happens on PC on the 2 ive tested so far.  The recovery word's never even are on your computer screen so even if compromised so much they can view screen.... it does nothing as seed words appear on LCD on device.  

Look up TREZOR as it is most known.  I think you will find you are very much wrong.  I can use device on computer and access it if needed without risking compromise.  And if breaks/need new for some reason I can get seed word's from my safety deposit box when I get replacement.

I am really curious on places you got info you base this off of.
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 12:39:21 AM

I don't think you have used a hardware wallet. Have you if so which one? Anyone that has should know you have have wallet seed words that you still keep safe.  Best is write them down and put in safety deposit box.  And you get hardware wallet that never let's private key on computer, and signs transactions on device.

I've actually never no, although id like one I don't think you could beat good old paper.  I know hardware wallets are safe just not as safe as paper imo.

Your basing this off no information.  You admit you never used one... so you don't have first hand knowledge.   What do you base your knowledge off of? Please show where you got info.

I suggest reading about some hardware wallets.   It is actually much safer then paper if you need access to it as it keeps the key off of the PC and signing never happens on PC on the 2 ive tested so far.  The recovery word's never even are on your computer screen so even if compromised so much they can view screen.... it does nothing as seed words appear on LCD on device.  

Look up TREZOR as it is most known.  I think you will find you are very much wrong.  I can use device on computer and access it if needed without risking compromise.  And if breaks/need new for some reason I can get seed word's from my safety deposit box when I get replacement.

In sure this has probably been sorted for a while now but still http://johoe.mooo.com/trezor-power-analysis/

Its not that in saying hardware wallets are unsafe,  just that I prefer paper and feel paper is safer for a fraction of the price.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 12:49:00 AM

In sure this has probably been sorted for a while now but still http://johoe.mooo.com/trezor-power-analysis/

Its not that in saying hardware wallets are unsafe,  just that I prefer paper and feel paper is safer for a fraction of the price.

You are not comparing them even.  In that case they have a hold of your TREZOR and it would have to be in a firmware that has been fixed.  Read that article again it has been fixed.

If they had your paper wallet in front of them no tools or trying involved... they have your private key or seed's.  So still in this situation hardware wins I think.

You reaching now trying to find info.. you found a old one that required having the TREZOR that has been fixed.  You originally said " how long do you think a hardware wallet would last?  Could last ages but there's parts that could fall. " That proved you never used one.  I just think your opinion lacks actual usage and that alone shows it.

I just hate mis-information being spread which you original post is full of.  I think we could go on forever... but I think we should honestly just leave it at you need some first hand experience before you really have a good opinion. 
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:56:31 AM

I disagree,  I think paper wallets are more secure.  There s no way your getting it connected to the Internet and stored correctly will last forever,  how long do you think a hardware wallet would last?  Could last ages but there's parts that could fall.

you buy one new each year problem solved, i find more easy to store the wallet.dat in the usb than wasting time with a paper wallet, that at the end it's not really more secure as many think
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 08:48:01 AM

Its not that in saying hardware wallets are unsafe,  just that I prefer paper and feel paper is safer for a fraction of the price.

You are not comparing them even.  In that case they have a hold of your TREZOR and it would have to be in a firmware that has been fixed.  Read that article again it has been fixed.

If they had your paper wallet in front of them no tools or trying involved... they have your private key or seed's.  So still in this situation hardware wins I think.

You reaching now trying to find info.. you found a old one that required having the TREZOR that has been fixed.  You originally said " how long do you think a hardware wallet would last?  Could last ages but there's parts that could fall. " That proved you never used one.  I just think your opinion lacks actual usage and that alone shows it.

I just hate mis-information being spread which you original post is full of.  I think we could go on forever... but I think we should honestly just leave it at you need some first hand experience before you really have a good opinion. 

Indeed i wasnt aware of the seed with hardware wallets so was in the understanding that it was basically a "fancy usb stick"  Your right that a paper wallet would need no tools buts that assuming its not password protected, But anyway thats me arguing just for the sake of it.  It just seems hard to imagine anything more secure than a bit of paper locked away somewhere. Either way if it wasnt for the price of a trzor i would have one, it ws just my initial opinion that paper was more secure.

enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 09:01:38 AM

Not sure if its secure enough actually. It must depend to where you are like walking around in this tropical country with your paper wallet makes it more vulnerable lol. Or you could lose all its funds when rain suddenly drops while you walk without worries puffing your cigar. p[aper wallet isn't safe when half way going to your house/hotel is a 5 foot flood.

These things should be stored in safes and a paper wallet does not need to be made out of paper. Its just a concept. Personally i'd put it as a digital QR picture and slap it on a couple of CDs and store them safely.

Haven't thought of that but yeh that should make it safe. QR picture should work well. Just hope no one sees it, I remember someone was robbed when he accidentally showed his QR live on TV and didn't take an hour he was robbed.

can uploading it as attached file on the the draft email message be safe?

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 03:19:51 PM

There is nothing perfectly secure by itself. It is secure if you make it secure. (proper management of your wallets, making copies, strong passwords etc.)
You can be perfectly safe with your software wallet - something like Armory is sufficient enough imo. Unless you are paranoid bitcoin millionaire you don't really need paper wallet.
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 05:01:14 PM

I want to create a few paper wallets to give small amounts of Bitcoin away for Christmas.
I am wondering whether those paper wallet generators are really secure. The site owner could store the generated keys, couldn't it?
Consider to create the wallets on bitaddress.org
yep they are definitely secure. i actually prefer them over web wallets, because thers no way someone can hack your private keys if its printed on a piece of paper. also when you create the wallets i recommend that you download the html and turn off your internet connection before creating wallets just to be extra safe.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 11:26:37 PM

I want to create a few paper wallets to give small amounts of Bitcoin away for Christmas.
I am wondering whether those paper wallet generators are really secure. The site owner could store the generated keys, couldn't it?
Consider to create the wallets on bitaddress.org
yep they are definitely secure. i actually prefer them over web wallets, because thers no way someone can hack your private keys if its printed on a piece of paper. also when you create the wallets i recommend that you download the html and turn off your internet connection before creating wallets just to be extra safe.

Above it kinda got a little off with user putting up false info about hardware wallets.  I am a supporter of hardware wallets at this point as they are hard to screw up, and keeping key off computer and signing on device is huge benefit.  And you still get the power of storing seed words in a safety deposit box if recovery is ever needed.

Paper wallets can be very safe if made and used right.  If you have a system that is not compromised and the dumber the better on printer, it can be very secure.  I went to extremes on mine by installing OS, anti-virus, and anti-malware do the paper wallet ... and then blow away OS.  Some will say it's to much but made me feel safer.  If you do use paper wallets having multiple is not a bad idea.  This way if you need to spend it you don't enter a private key from paper spend a little.. and then still have a bunch of BTC on that paper wallet.  I see that as most likely greatest weakness is when you import it back to spend it, as it's now been on computer.

If your going to use paper wallets you might create a few with nothing on them.  So if you use a paper wallet and import it on PC just incase compromise you can send it to wallet that has not been imported.  I think what you do after importing wallet has a decent effect on future security.
bitbaby

Activity: 812

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2015, 03:12:34 AM

Although all people will advice you to generate your paper wallets offline, I did it twice before online using bitaddress and nothing happened to my funds tell I spent them.
As long as your computer is not defected with viruses or trojans, do not fear about your paper wallets especially if they hold small amounts as you mentioned

NO, it is not okay to make your paper wallets on-line and they're NOT secure when made that way, both of you need to read on about cold storage and the idea behind paper wallets, why they're created and why is it very much necessary to make and print them off-line. If you don't know about this then stop giving wrong advice to others.

The best way is to make then on a completely off-line machine but if you don't have a separate machine OP then just use an air-gapped OS.

Also, OP if you're giving them away as Xmas presents then make sure the people you're giving them to know about bitcoins and how to claim those, otherwise its just throwing money away.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: