Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:31:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are paper wallets really secure?  (Read 3298 times)
relq

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 05:54:18 AM

i think yes paper wallet is more secure than online wallet, because it's only you that only know your wallet and online wallet seems to risky if hacker hack online wallet.
Sturgeon

Activity: 392

ドラゴンスピ

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 07:53:37 AM

I want to create a few paper wallets to give small amounts of Bitcoin away for Christmas.
I am wondering whether those paper wallet generators are really secure. The site owner could store the generated keys, couldn't it?
Consider to create the wallets on bitaddress.org

i preferes use vanitygen to create new address (only offline method) DO'NT USE VANITYGEN ONLINE
you can read more detail at here
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/get-custom-bitcoin-address/

anyway i am use vanitygen offline mode to create more address and some of that is paperwallet and all of my address is very secure

"The economy depends about as much on economists as the weather does on weather forecasters"  Jean-Paul Kauffmann
"The risk / reward ratio is nuts. Playing with altcoins is like picking up pennies on the highway"  BlindMayorBitcorn

NETFix

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 12:58:20 PM

they have a risk of being lost, burned or become unusable due to water etc... but other than that they are less likely to be hacked or stolen than having BTC on an online computer IMO.
ironbit (OP)

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 02:17:24 PM

Thanks, but as already wrote, i have used vanitygen to create some customn addresses, but it does not let me create paper based wallets with qr codes etc.

I want to create a few paper wallets to give small amounts of Bitcoin away for Christmas.
I am wondering whether those paper wallet generators are really secure. The site owner could store the generated keys, couldn't it?

i preferes use vanitygen to create new address (only offline method) DO'NT USE VANITYGEN ONLINE

anyway i am use vanitygen offline mode to create more address and some of that is paperwallet and all of my address is very secure
ironbit (OP)

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 02:18:53 PM

This has already been mentioned before. Of course, this is a big thread and drawback for paper wallets, but i also would store the keys with keepass in oder to have a copy.
they have a risk of being lost, burned or become unusable due to water etc... but other than that they are less likely to be hacked or stolen than having BTC on an online computer IMO.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 03:43:31 PM

i think yes paper wallet is more secure than online wallet, because it's only you that only know your wallet and online wallet seems to risky if hacker hack online wallet.
Why are you comparing two the most polarized solution of the bitcoin storing? Online storage is risky, because of its centralized nature.
But we have numerous of software wallets like Bitcoin Core or Armory and your local machine can't be hacked easily if you know what to do.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 08:38:51 PM

This has already been mentioned before. Of course, this is a big thread and drawback for paper wallets, but i also would store the keys with keepass in oder to have a copy.

I think bank safety deposit box is pretty good.  You can store paper wallets, or seeds for hardware wallets.  You get bank security and protection from the elements (or should have).

If you can't do that a fire safe at home is much better then hiding in spot fire can get to.  And not all safes are equal look at fire rating depending on how much your storing.
Nauro

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 09:18:21 PM

I think we can get paper wallet from blockchain and thats the safst one I think Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 04:18:14 AM

I think we can get paper wallet from blockchain and thats the safst one I think Smiley

Do you mean blockchain.info?   If so no that is not the best your making a paper wallet for a hot wallet... so it kinda defeats the paper wallet part on security.  It allows you to import it into another wallet if needed.  But you don't have that cold security.

So I highly suggest not getting a paper wallet there if your wanting a true paper wallet, with cold storage.
Sturgeon

Activity: 392

ドラゴンスピ

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 04:18:32 AM

Thanks, but as already wrote, i have used vanitygen to create some customn addresses, but it does not let me create paper based wallets with qr codes etc.

you can instal QRCODE generator,
or you can use this website http://goqr.me/ Your QR code data is encrypted during transmission (TLS/SSL) and not stored.

read more at here http://goqr.me/privacy-safety-security/

Im use goqr.me to create QRCODE

"The economy depends about as much on economists as the weather does on weather forecasters"  Jean-Paul Kauffmann
"The risk / reward ratio is nuts. Playing with altcoins is like picking up pennies on the highway"  BlindMayorBitcorn

avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 06:31:02 AM

Whether It’s a paper or online wallet we have careful while we sharing our details for transaction. Whatever the reasons we should not reveal our private key. Its like a heart for our wallets. As you said  Offline and paper Little secure than online wallet.
Cashew

Activity: 391

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 06:33:07 AM

Make sure you create them offline, not online. Also make sure that the paper itself is stored in a waterproof/fireproof container.
BitcoinMagician

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 06:34:56 AM

Paper wallet is as secure as a hardware wallet when generated offline and used safely. Using BIP38 encryption strengthens the paper wallet by not allowing unauthorised users to get the unencrypted private key to spend.
planetroving
Legendary

Activity: 2170

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:31:37 AM

Paper wallets will only be as secure as how you keep it. Remember the phrase: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Although paper wallets are much more secure than offline and much more than online wallets, you may have an accident with your precious piece of paper. So keep it somewhere secure, preferably in a safe.
a7mos

Activity: 574

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 12:18:59 PM

When I want to create a paper wallet, I use vanity gen on an offline computer to generate the address and I change the text to QR code using a website which work offline
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 12:32:04 PM

When I want to create a paper wallet, I use vanity gen on an offline computer to generate the address and I change the text to QR code using a website which work offline

Thats a good idea, i may get my laptop setup just for this and transfer all my wallets i made online. Do you have a link for something that can convert addresses to QR offline?

thanks

Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 12:36:49 PM

Thats a good idea, i may get my laptop setup just for this and transfer all my wallets i made online. Do you have a link for something that can convert addresses to QR offline?

thanks

qrencode for Linux and qrencode-win32 for Windows will do what you want.
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 12:49:01 PM

thanks

Superb, i already have linux installed on my laptop so all i have to do is find a vanity gen that works on linux, or just copy my private and public from my main pc. Anyway fantastic cheers.

Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 01:07:56 PM

thanks

Superb, i already have linux installed on my laptop so all i have to do is find a vanity gen that works on linux, or just copy my private and public from my main pc. Anyway fantastic cheers.

Perhaps your distro already has vanitygen as a precompiled package. If not, you can get the source here: https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen
helloeverybody
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 01:18:22 PM

thanks

Perhaps your distro already has vanitygen as a precompiled package. If not, you can get the source here: https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen

Thanks again, i have kali on it at the moment so its pretty unlikely that there will be a vanity gen on it but its no major dramas to install it or worst case scenario i will just put a different distro on it.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: