Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:58:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is BtcDrak??  (Read 2972 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 12:01:47 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2015, 11:30:55 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

Who is BtcDrak?

Best answer:

I don't know much about his prior history, but early last year he launched an altcoin called Viacoin (ironically out of frustrations with the Core dev team), who's main advantage over other altcoins was that it had a meta-coin layer on top for issuing assets etc. called Clearinghouse - except that "Clearinghouse" is actually just a fork/clone of Counterparty, which had just been released a month or so earlier (thus mostly unknown), and which conveniently is barely mentioned at all, the protocol marketed as if he built it himself (he didn't). A whole crap ton of Viacoin was pre-mined and then sold in a crowdsale for a total of around ~600 BTC. So while Counterparty folks did a burn of 2100 BTC, btcdrak took the same code and used it to raise a serious chunk of cash for himself. Meanwhile, Peter Todd had recently had an episode on LTB where he talked about his "tree chains" concept, supposedly vastly better than sidechains. btcdrak thought this was amazing and proceeded to hire Peter explicitly to develop the Tree Chains concept for Viacoin, using his stash earned from pre-mining (mostly a PR stunt IMO). Tree Chains apparantly went nowhere and never happened, but instead Peter became "Chief Scientist" of Viacoin (and more recently abandoned that title, IIRC) . Ever since then, Peter and Drak seem to always show up in the same places, pushing the same viewpoints etc.. and now btcdrak has managed to integrate himself in the inner circle of Core devs, most likely thanks to Peter's help.

Anybody?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=94451

http://www.trollboxhistory.com/?nick=btcdrak

n00bs are buying, I am selling

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 03:47:45 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2015, 09:59:34 PM by Gleb Gamow

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoinxt/comments/3xrxz9/some_questions_that_the_core_devs_are_unable_to/

I don't know much about his prior history, but early last year he launched an altcoin called Viacoin (ironically out of frustrations with the Core dev team), who's main advantage over other altcoins was that it had a meta-coin layer on top for issuing assets etc. called Clearinghouse - except that "Clearinghouse" is actually just a fork/clone of Counterparty, which had just been released a month or so earlier (thus mostly unknown), and which conveniently is barely mentioned at all, the protocol marketed as if he built it himself (he didn't). A whole crap ton of Viacoin was pre-mined and then sold in a crowdsale for a total of around ~600 BTC. So while Counterparty folks did a burn of 2100 BTC, btcdrak took the same code and used it to raise a serious chunk of cash for himself. Meanwhile, Peter Todd had recently had an episode on LTB where he talked about his "tree chains" concept, supposedly vastly better than sidechains. btcdrak thought this was amazing and proceeded to hire Peter explicitly to develop the Tree Chains concept for Viacoin, using his stash earned from pre-mining (mostly a PR stunt IMO). Tree Chains apparantly went nowhere and never happened, but instead Peter became "Chief Scientist" of Viacoin (and more recently abandoned that title, IIRC) . Ever since then, Peter and Drak seem to always show up in the same places, pushing the same viewpoints etc.. and now btcdrak has managed to integrate himself in the inner circle of Core devs, most likely thanks to Peter's help.

Here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9DjpDY-PIY - Marshall Long goes into detail about Peter Todd being a friend of his and creating Proof-of-Hashrate for Mintsy, a once Cryptsy thingy.
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 04:36:18 PM

https://www.zapchain.com/a/l/who-is-btcdrak-why-is-he-considered-a-core-developer-why-was-he-made-moderator-of-the-bitcoin-dev-mailing-list-is-he-a-blockstream-investor-/toSyK3lLbT

https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/37gj0l/when_the_block_reward_goes_away_gavin_andresen/crmk1eg

gavinandresen 3 points 6 months ago
Please send me the analysis and methodical science behind your choices for ViaCoin's total supply, block time, and block size.

Otherwise shut up, you annoying troll.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 09:58:54 PM

Video interview of BtcDrak where he claims to be British.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjP6hezfpUI

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 10:03:06 PM

Video interview of BtcDrak where he claims to be British.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjP6hezfpUI

Ironically, I just got to updating the first reply to this thread when you posted the above.
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 11:27:06 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2015, 12:13:11 PM by BlindMayorBitcorn

http://www.trollboxhistory.com/?nick=btcdrak

n00bs are buying, I am selling

http://trollboxarchive.com/search/username/btcdrak/

Wed Jan 29 14:54:39 2014
bitcorn

BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 04:21:04 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/425ihq/someone_calls_out_btcdrak_and_peter_todd_for/

BTCDrak shouldn't really be considered a core developer but perhaps the better term would be a Bitcoin Core weasel as he has weaseled his way into being thought of and considered a core developer through brown nosing.

Ironically his only contribution to the Bitcoin Core repository is a document entitled "Contributing to Bitcoin Core".

BTCDrak also managed to create an ICO for his altcoin Viacoin which is just a clone of Bitcoin and the accompanying project ClearingHouse which is just a clone of Counterparty. BTCDrak isn't a programmer but has enough coding knowledge to make a Bitcoin clone and enough technical doublespeak to swindle people out of 600 Bitcoins for the ICO.

At the time 600 Bitcoins had a value of around $380 thousand dollars.

BTCDrak paid a small portion of that money to Peter Todd to implement some features such as CLTV (Check Lock Time Verify) and uses that as a badge of honor. Essentially paying Peter Todd a portion of the $380k has allowed him to weasel his way into the Bitcoin Core developers team. He also conned Peter Todd into assuming the role of "Chief Scientist". Peter Todd in November wrote "I was previously getting paid by viacoin to do Bitcoin Core dev work - I never actually contributed to Viacoin directly".

desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 04:57:42 PM

I cannot understand why some people follow characters like BTCdrak, todd, Back, Luke-jr and maxwell.

Their track record in the past year alone should have alienated everyone already.

It just boggles my mind.
axxo

Activity: 916
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 03:58:46 AM

I cannot understand why some people follow characters like BTCdrak, todd, Back, Luke-jr and maxwell.

Their track record in the past year alone should have alienated everyone already.

It just boggles my mind.

There must be something memorable or unforgetable they did in the past. Tt maybe good or bad, but who knows?

▄░░▄█▄░░▄
▄▄█░░▄█▀█▄░░█▄▄
▄▄▄█▀▀░░░█▀░░░▀█░░░▀▀█▄▄▄
██▀░░░░░▄█▀░░░░▀█▄░░░░░▀██
██░░░░░▄█░░▄███▄░░█▄░░░░░██
██░░░░██░░▄█▀░▀█▄░░██░░░░██
██░░▄█▀░▄█▀░▄█▄░▀█▄░▀█▄░░██
██░██░░▄█▀░▄███▄░▀█▄░░██░██
███▀░░▄█░░▄█████▄░░█▄░░▀███
██▀░▄█▀░░▄███████▄░░▀█▄░▀██
▀█▀░░▄█████████▄░░▀█▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀█▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄
▐██▀██
██▌░██
▐██░░██
██▌░░██
███████
▀▀░░░▀▀

░▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀██
██░░░▀▀
████
██
██
▀▀

░▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀██
██░░░▀▀
████
██
██
▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀██▀▀
██
██
██
▄▄██▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀██
██
██
██
██
▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀██
██░░░██
▀██████
██▀██
██▀░██
▀▀▀░░▀▀

▄▄░░░▄▄
██░░░██
██░░░██
██░░░██
██░░░██
██▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄░░░▄▄
███░███
███████
██▀█▀██
██░░░██
██░░░██
▀▀░░░▀▀

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄███████████████████████████▄
██████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀███████
██████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄██████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐███████
███████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
███████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
██████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄███████████

████████▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████

▀███████████████████████████▀
▄███████████████████████████▄
███████████████████▀▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀░░▄░░▐███████
███████▀▀▀░░░░▄▄▀▀░░░████████
█████▄▄▄░░▄▄█▀▀░░░░░▐████████
█████████▌▐▀░░░░░░░░█████████
██████████▄░▄█▄▄░░░▐█████████

██████████████████▄██████████

▀███████████████████████████▀
BlindMayorBitcorn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:49:18 PM

It just boggles my mind.

There must be something memorable or unforgetable they did in the past. Tt maybe good or bad, but who knows?

This was just me playing sleuth. No real reason for it. Inquiring minds want to know. I don't know why. Undecided

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: