Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 Mac Minis - one rack  (Read 3282 times)
bitcoindaddy (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 09:16:37 PM

I was more fascinated by their custom cooling solution than anything else:

http://hackaday.com/2012/12/09/160-mac-minis-one-rack/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hackaday%2FLgoM+%28Hack+a+Day%29
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 09:47:10 PM

That's pretty awesome! I have to wonder tho: what's he running that needs Mac Server?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:24:58 PM

A wiki? It looks like a company wide time machine back, I think that would be the most logical thing.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:32:12 AM

Just... why?
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 05:08:51 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2012, 07:28:21 PM by Gatorhex

Just... why?

Because he is paying for co-location per floor tile so packing in as many web servers as he can on one tile I suspect. You use mac mini because they are small and low power.
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 07:35:21 PM

Does the performance of the MAC MINI justify the price, when compares to a proper rack server ?
As far as I know Apple products are known for being overpriced, the whole project looks more like a concept rather than something practical.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 09:31:51 PM

You guys need to read the freaking hackaday comments. The guy explained he has workloads that need to run on Mac OS X. For whatever reasons (legal ones), virtualization was not possible, so he needed Apple hardware to run OS X. Given this constraint, the choice of Mac Minis was the best one.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 09:39:43 PM

There is also a service in US that you can rent a mac via Remote Desktop. Or you can store your mac in a datacenter...

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 01:28:22 PM

Does the performance of the MAC MINI justify the price, when compares to a proper rack server ?
As far as I know Apple products are known for being overpriced, the whole project looks more like a concept rather than something practical.

Because you can do things on a mac that you cannot do on 'easily' other hardware...

Let's say for example you are running Xcode, macs have the ability to run as a 'farm' service, that is to say that if you have a corporate network with macs, each and every one  is able to share the processing power of the others and it is built right into the applications.

Just plug the shit together, its all automatic.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
pc

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:29:18 PM

Servers of Mac minis aren't really new… I remember seeing Macminicolo years ago. Definitely a niche market kind of thing, but fun to see the pictures of.
BR0KK

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 09:22:30 PM

Because you can do things on a mac that you cannot do on 'easily' other hardware...

Let's say for example you are running Xcode, macs have the ability to run as a 'farm' service, that is to say that if you have a corporate network with macs, each and every one  is able to share the processing power of the others and it is built right into the applications.

How does that work?

BR0KK

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 10:39:33 PM

so you need software for that, not just a mac Smiley

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 11:57:30 PM

No you don't need 'different' software, it is built into the os.
 Yes granted you can implement it on linux with additional software, but if your applications are not designed from scratch to scale.... then they won't. (the same way 8-16 CPU wont make a difference if your 1 CPU application is not multithreaded)

If the programmer of an application CORRECTLY calls the apple routines for allocating resources, and IF the system is enabled, then the OS automatically handles it.

So if you have a really big compile job or render and your 16CPU's are not enough, then the OS allocates the work to other macs on the network.

its not about  Mac Vrs others, but rather properly thought out integration without having to jump through hoops to accomplish it.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Oldsport

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 12:03:53 AM

That's pretty awesome! I have to wonder tho: what's he running that needs Mac Server?

"Since this deisgn was for a data center, the Minis would have to draw power from a Power Distribution Unit (PDU)"

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 01:29:25 AM

You are wrong. There is no "automatic farm service" in Mac OS X.

If you are referring to the ability in Xcode to do distributed builds, well, it is a feature built specifically in Xcode, not in the OS. If you are referring to Grand Central Dispatch and the C extensions to do automated threading, well it is constrained to a single machine, there is certainly no "farm" support.
GoldSeal
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 02:09:12 AM

Seems like a tremendous waste of money. If someone pitched anything like this with my employer, they'd be laughed out of the office.

Moving to Puerto Rico...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: