Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:39:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for limiting "self-moderated" threads  (Read 639 times)
sandy-is-fine (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1921
Merit: 1230

AKA Ms-overzealous-condecsending-explitive-account

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 05:19:09 PM

My suggestion is that users with under a certain number of posts (100?) should not be allowed to create self-moderated threads or close a thread.

This would avoid "hit and run" scams with the inability of a user to note such a scam or scammer in that thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2015, 08:21:24 PM

My suggestion is that users with under a certain number of posts (100?) should not be allowed to create self-moderated threads or close a thread.

This would avoid "hit and run" scams with the inability of a user to note such a scam or scammer in that thread.

I don't think this will help that much to be honest.  If person is under a certain rank with low activity, or not ... use escrow and it solves it.  You can not save everyone sadly some buy without using escrow from unknown... and they get burnt.  They have to want help ... and escrow is already in place.

The reason I would not do this is sometimes "self-moderated" is needed. I use it in certain thread's as one troll can ruin a thread that does not have it.   If it was not for trolls or people who want to advertise I would not use it myself.  But when I do a review you would be surprised  some people get joy out of being a troll, so self-moderated I'm able to keep thread going without the trolling.

Education for the people buying on "hit and run" scams is far better then some new limit.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 03:48:17 AM

The warning when you post in a self-moderated thread is pretty clear.
People are generally aware that the OP may delete posts.
Moreover, if a scam is detected, notifying somebody in default trust about it and getting the account tagged with negative trust is more effective than posting "scam" in the thread.

Self moderated threads are useful when sock-puppets are trying to derail a thread.
funkydog

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:00:38 AM

Maybe self-moderated posts should be not allowed in the market section all together.
Heutenamos

Activity: 812

Act #Neutral,Think y'self as a citizen of Universe

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:27:52 AM

Maybe self-moderated posts should be not allowed in the market section all together.
Why it should not be allowed ? people have a right to make the threads for their own taste and if you feel humiliated by it then you are free to make another thread in such situations (you also get this message when the post gets deleted).

People should have the common sense to spot scams cause you cannot push everything for it.

yo
funkydog

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:39:10 AM

Why it should not be allowed ? people have a right to make the threads for their own taste and if you feel humiliated by it then you are free to make another thread in such situations (you also get this message when the post gets deleted).

People should have the common sense to spot scams cause you cannot push everything for it.

I'm not just talking about scams... i'm talking about things like delete bad product reviews and such on...
Heutenamos

Activity: 812

Act #Neutral,Think y'self as a citizen of Universe

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:46:30 AM

I'm not just talking about scams... i'm talking about things like delete bad product reviews and such on...
If the OP of the thread is really deleting replies which are against to him or his sale then he will be tagged a proper feedback very soon.
Neutral in general cases and Negative if it is really scammy.

yo
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 05:19:39 PM

Scammer will make the required posts before starting his self-moderated topic so 100 posts isn't really a big problem for them without mentioning buying an account with +100 posts with a low price..
My advice is to be careful with the self-dectatorship topics and of course you can create a topic in the scam accusation sub in case..

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 05:29:52 PM

I don't agree with restrict users from opening self moderated thread. Users many times try to post off topic replies and spam sales threads by asking silly questions and to stop them from posting, this option of self moderation is given which is not given on any other forum.

Scammers would continue scamming even without self moderated threads so that's no an issue as DT members leave trust ratings on such accounts.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:02:54 PM

I don't agree with restrict users from opening self moderated thread. Users many times try to post off topic replies and spam sales threads by asking silly questions and to stop them from posting, this option of self moderation is given which is not given on any other forum.

Scammers would continue scamming even without self moderated threads so that's no an issue as DT members leave trust ratings on such accounts.

Beside, scammers tend to either do quick impulse/pressure scam or obfuscation, lying in wait. Meaning they will either post in another's thread or send a PM trying to push the other person into sending BTC quick.

Or hide that they want to scam people by creating a sale thread and locking it.

If they self mod and delete comments against him, he is going to get red trust *really* quick since its easy to justify red trusting someone that delete your posts when you tell everyone else he is being scammy.

Meanwhile if you don't say anything and the thread is locked and you just ignore PM's of people that want to use escrow, its much harder for others to justify giving you red trust.

So a better thing to do in this area would be to prevent new users from locking their own thread. Negative side effect aside, that would accomplish what OP intended, i believe, much more than self-modded.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 07:33:45 PM

Beside, scammers tend to either do quick impulse/pressure scam or obfuscation, lying in wait. Meaning they will either post in another's thread or send a PM trying to push the other person into sending BTC quick.

If they self mod and delete comments against him, he is going to get red trust *really* quick since its easy to justify red trusting someone that delete your posts when you tell everyone else he is being scammy.

Meanwhile if you don't say anything and the thread is locked and you just ignore PM's of people that want to use escrow, its much harder for others to justify giving you red trust.

So a better thing to do in this area would be to prevent new users from locking their own thread. Negative side effect aside, that would accomplish what OP intended, i believe, much more than self-modded.

True. The inability to lock threads can be a solution as even if the user keeps deleting replies, his thread would still be visible and people could post their reviews in the thread (no matter if they are deleted or not). It could be a warning to others to not deal with that OP as he/she is a scammer.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:46:59 PM

True. The inability to lock threads can be a solution as even if the user keeps deleting replies, his thread would still be visible and people could post their reviews in the thread (no matter if they are deleted or not). It could be a warning to others to not deal with that OP as he/she is a scammer.

I think so. If someone wish to post information about that op/alleged scammer and it get deleted, i don't think anyone will blame him for instead posting it on that user's trust profile instead. In big red.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 10:07:15 PM

I think you would be surprised how much trolling happens.  I'm not sure who I made mad but someone the last week has trolled me a little.  I kinda get the last laugh with self-moderated as I can delete troll in less time then it takes them to make a post.

But for example I had a hardware wallet review... someone with 1 activity posted a paragraph with links pointed to weight loss sites (guessing from the typing did not open them).  I'm guessing it's same just different name who has done it 3-5 times during past week.  So not a ton but if I did not have self moderation on I would have some horribly off topic and trolling remark until staff can get to it.

There is very valid uses for it.  Just be careful if it's buying something.  But in all honesty you should always be careful when buying something.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: