Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:26:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mining btc and alt  (Read 535 times)
j_nathan (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 12:14:22 AM

What are your thoughts /experiences mining not just BTC but other coins and moving in/out a percentage of each with obvious price fluctuations upwards?

Seems logical to mine certain alt coins and trade them to BTC during jumps.
The mathmatecal consideration would be cost to mine BTC during a period and the comparable cost for an alt coin that can be converted to BTC etc.

I plan to start mining with a test pair of S7 soon and hope nextgen 16nm releases will be made available post learning curve to really dive in.

Any experiences sharing is appreciated and valued.
BTW I'm a reasonable fella and know this is a financial risk (so is fiat money) so no need to "overly warn" me.

Regards
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:48:28 AM

altcon have their section, but i can tell yu that what you want to do does not work anymore, it's better to mine bitcoin directly

in the past the alt mining + exchanging for bitcoin was a better way to acquire many bitcoin faster than simply mining bitcoin

then, many scammers has appeared with many scam coins, and the altscene faded away slowly, now the section is almost dead

it's sad i remember that i had a great fun instamining almost all altcoin of late 2013 and 2014 with a gpu rig  Grin
Atomicat
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:27:46 AM

altcon have their section, but i can tell yu that what you want to do does not work anymore, it's better to mine bitcoin directly

in the past the alt mining + exchanging for bitcoin was a better way to acquire many bitcoin faster than simply mining bitcoin

then, many scammers has appeared with many scam coins, and the altscene faded away slowly, now the section is almost dead

it's sad i remember that i had a great fun instamining almost all altcoin of late 2013 and 2014 with a gpu rig  Grin
Altcoin mining can still be done but you need to do your research first. There are some new altcoins that might have the potential to succeed.
j_nathan (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 03:03:53 PM

Altcoin mining can still be done but you need to do your research first. There are some new altcoins that might have the potential to succeed.

Real world responses
Great value

I will get heavy on alt coin after I decide to finalize my s7 pair order or wait til the 16nm sets come out
But not waiting very long

Appreciated!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 03:53:50 PM

SHA256 altcoins are rarely worth mining for themselves, the very low value and relative difficulty of getting them traded into something usefull usually more than makes up for the ease of mining them.

non-SHA256 altcoins vary - LiteCoin and DASH have been viable alternatives with noticeably more stability over the last half year vs. BitCoin, though it looks like the SCRYPT altcoin mining ecosystem is a few months away from it's first major shakeup since the Litecoin halfing (and possibly it's biggest shakeup since the GC3355 was introduced).
 DASH is profitable to mine with a well-tuned GPU rig, though the ROI timeframe makes it somewhat iffy if your vid cards will last long enough to make RoI.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 10:30:02 PM

SHA256 altcoins are rarely worth mining for themselves, the very low value and relative difficulty of getting them traded into something usefull usually more than makes up for the ease of mining them.

non-SHA256 altcoins vary - LiteCoin and DASH have been viable alternatives with noticeably more stability over the last half year vs. BitCoin, though it looks like the SCRYPT altcoin mining ecosystem is a few months away from it's first major shakeup since the Litecoin halfing (and possibly it's biggest shakeup since the GC3355 was introduced).
 DASH is profitable to mine with a well-tuned GPU rig, though the ROI timeframe makes it somewhat iffy if your vid cards will last long enough to make RoI.

I would agree I was decent into alt coin's during GPU day's and during first asic day's of them.  But at a point they really switched to a LOT of pump/dump and a lot are scrypt which BTC sha mining gear will just not ever mine.

The second one worth mining is LTC really and it's scrypt.    But a lot of altcoins even scrypt are utter crude.  Just nothing but a change of name/picture and promises of a bright future.

I think BTC will remain king as far as mining.  You will see it's what the manufactures focus new gear on for the most part.  And they do it as most return in in straight BTC in current market.
madwica

Activity: 714
Merit: 531

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:54:51 AM

I would agree I was decent into alt coin's during GPU day's and during first asic day's of them.  But at a point they really switched to a LOT of pump/dump and a lot are scrypt which BTC sha mining gear will just not ever mine.

The second one worth mining is LTC really and it's scrypt.    But a lot of altcoins even scrypt are utter crude.  Just nothing but a change of name/picture and promises of a bright future.

I think BTC will remain king as far as mining.  You will see it's what the manufactures focus new gear on for the most part.  And they do it as most return in in straight BTC in current market.

The main altcoin worth mining is Ethereum. It will be minable for another year, then it will become PoS.
notabeliever

Activity: 724
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:46:22 AM

I thought about changing from BTC to an altcoin. My S5 is having a hard time mining Bitcoin with the increased difficulty.
I switched to a PPC for 6 hours and got .3 ppc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: