Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:19:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Network Skepticism  (Read 797 times)
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 06:52:52 AM

https://chrispacia.wordpress.com/2015/12/23/lightning-network-skepticism/

I like the idea of the lightning network. I think the developers behind it are very smart and it’s a very clever use of Bitcoin contracts. I’m sure that whatever comes from it will be useful to some parts of the Bitcoin ecosystem at a minimum. What I’m not for, however, is prematurely deprecating critical parts of bitcoin (zeroconf transactions and low transaction fees) when it’s not yet clear that the lightning network will be a viable replacement for them. Yet that’s what the core developers seems bent on doing.

We know that lightning is at least technically feasible. We don’t know if it’s economically feasible or even a desirable alternative. Will it be a decentralized peer-to-peer payment layer or will it end up as a quasi-centralized payment network similar modern banking? We don’t know the answer to this question and probably wont know until we see it in action. Which is why it comes across as irresponsible to go “all-in” on lightning at this point.

My main concern from the beginning was that, as a hub-and-spoke payment layer, there would be very few hubs and the network would be quasi-centralized and a regulatory sitting duck. It seems I wasn’t the only one with this concern as there’s been a fairly recent pivot away from the hub-and-spoke network topology to a more organic, wallet-to-wallet routing. The network is now envisioned as a more pure p2p payment layer without those large scale payment hubs.

Certainly this has to be viewed as a promising development as it begins to address my primary concern. Unfortunately, I find this view of the lightning network overly optimistic. In what follows I will give a lightning network overview and some reasons why I think it’s likely the network will end up with the hub-and-spoke topology anyway.

Continue

Great article.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 07:32:13 AM

firstly there is no such thing as quasi centralised... its either centralised (one point of failure) or decentralised.
there is however wildly distributed or confined distribution, which if the distribution of LN nodes is confined, it could possibly lead to collusion..

i personally dont see it as a ripple thing.. where everyone needs to log into a ripple owned server. to then trade with coinbase or bitstamp
i see it as a standalone executable that anyone can have. but where most of the big players such as bitpay, coinbase, etc will be the main channel operators, purely due to popularity of moving funds in and out of their services.

and as long as this executable still uses the same signature method and proof of value to ensure even they cant fiddle with other peoples funds then its all good.
if it turns out to just be a sql database saying | user1=0.1btc | user2=0.09btc | where the channel operator can fiddle.. then it should not be part of the bitcoin ecosystem

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
agath

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:19:32 AM

firstly there is no such thing as quasi centralised... its either centralised (one point of failure) or decentralised.

The same is valid also for bitcoin with larger blocks. And still there is no evidence that larger blocks lead to centralization.
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:25:33 AM

So what about two points of failure?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:31:53 AM

So what about two points of failure?

confined distribution

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 11:08:41 AM

What's the incentive for someone to run one of these hubs?

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 11:27:40 AM

What's the incentive for someone to run one of these hubs?

i guess they could recieve a tiny amount of money too?

chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 03:49:57 PM

and is this offchain transactions safe. Is impossible someone to fake the system and make a double spent or worst a spent with bitcoins that didnt have?

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:27:55 PM

and is this offchain transactions safe. Is impossible someone to fake the system and make a double spent or worst a spent with bitcoins that didnt have?

For lighting to be as trustless as running a full node is today you would still have to run full node.  To establish a channel, you would need to wait for the standard 6-confirms or longer to be protected against double spends.  Once the channel is open, you are protected against double spends by funds that held in what amounts to a multi-signature escrow account.  If the other side of the channel signs over some of the escorw funds to you, you can be be sure the funds are available have not been double spent.  How can you be so sure?  Because those funds don't go anywhere without your signature too.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:44:38 PM

Let us wait until it's in a semi operating condition before deciding what's what. Perhaps it'll never reach a working iteration or maybe it'll be what we always dreamed of and more.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 08:59:27 PM

Let us wait until it's in a semi operating condition before deciding what's what. Perhaps it'll never reach a working iteration or maybe it'll be what we always dreamed of and more.

Fine. Lips sealed

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Klestin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 09:25:24 PM

That's OP's entire point.  It's too soon to start "deprecating critical parts of bitcoin (zeroconf transactions and low transaction fees)".
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 09:27:53 PM

That's OP's entire point.  It's too soon to start "deprecating critical parts of bitcoin (zeroconf transactions and low transaction fees)".

But it doesn't exist yet. We've no real idea what the incentives or disincentives might be. We don't know whether it'll work in the way it was intended or in any other way. It'll be time to start questioning when we can see live examples and then we'll have a concept of its impact.
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 11:52:16 PM

For lighting to be as trustless as running a full node is today you would still have to run full node.  To establish a channel, you would need to wait for the standard 6-confirms or longer to be protected against double spends.  Once the channel is open, you are protected against double spends by funds that held in what amounts to a multi-signature escrow account.  If the other side of the channel signs over some of the escorw funds to you, you can be be sure the funds are available have not been double spent.  How can you be so sure?  Because those funds don't go anywhere without your signature too.

thx for the info

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
knightkon

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 12:03:52 AM

But it doesn't exist yet. We've no real idea what the incentives or disincentives might be. We don't know whether it'll work in the way it was intended or in any other way. It'll be time to start questioning when we can see live examples and then we'll have a concept of its impact.

I also agree that there is to much that is not known yet.  As quoted, we want to see some live examples.  Poop can be made to look good on paper, but take some in the real world and you then know that is smells.  Lets see some of this live and see how they hold up. 

███████████████████████████
██████████▄▄███▄▄██████████
████████▄█████████▄████████
██████▄█████████████▄██████
█████▄███████████████▄█████
█████▀███████████████▀█████
███████▀███████████▀███████
█████████▀███████▀█████████
███████████▀███▀███████████
.BITAMP..
   BITAMP BITCOIN WALLET   
Easy to use, client-side, &
open-source Bitcoin wallet
████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄████████
████▄▀▀▀   ▄▄█▄▄   ▀▀▀▄████
█████ ▀▄▄▀▀     ▀▀▄▄▀ █████
█████  █    ███    █  █████
█████  █   ▄███▄   █  █████
█████  █  ███████  █  █████
████▀▄ ▀▄ ███████ ▄▀ ▄▀████
█████▀▄ ▀▄       ▄▀ ▄▀█████
██████▀▄  ▀▄▄ ▄▄▀  ▄▀██████
████████▀▄   █   ▄▀████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████▄▀▀▀▄  ▄███▄  ▄▀▀▀▄████
█████   █ ▐█████▌ █   █████
███▄▄▀ ▀▄  ▀███▀  ▄▀ ▀▄▄███
██      ▄██▀▀▀██▄      ███
██     ███▄███ ███     ███
███▄▄▄▄ █████▄▄████ ▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄▄▄▄█▄████
███████████████████████▀███
█████▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄████████
███████▄▀  ▄█▄█▄  ▀▄███████
██████▄▀   █    █  ▀▄██████
███████    █▀▀▀▀▄   ███████
██████▀▄   █    █  ▄▀██████
███████▀▄  ▀█▀█▀  ▄▀███████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄█████
███▄███████████████████████
████▀█▀▀▀▀█████████████████
|SECURE
ANONYMOUS
INSTANT
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 12:05:55 AM

I like that things get critisized and the weak points get pointed at because that's how we can improve, but has anyone noticed that everyone criticizing the LN never propose a better idea? (and centralizing nodes with huge blocks isn't a better idea).
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2015, 02:29:28 AM

I like that things get critisized and the weak points get pointed at because that's how we can improve, but has anyone noticed that everyone criticizing the LN never propose a better idea? (and centralizing nodes with huge blocks isn't a better idea).
This is a claim without proof, it has been six years without the blocks being full, and even now miners aren't doing it every time because they try to avoid the orphan blocks.

The critics are that Bitcoin Core / Blockstream team is forcing users (by changing the rules of the mempool, RBF and small blocks) to go finding other solution on second layer network -> LN. Solutions still not developed and without years of tests as for the Bitcoin network.

There is anymore free choice. (anyway, it's a free choice if you think that paying $20 fee to make a tx on the Bitcoin network is good)

99.9% of the promoter of bigger blocks thinks that LN and what ever other solutions are great and welcome, but this until the user is free to choose between them and the Bitcoin network as was originally though.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 02:42:27 AM

This.  And who wrote that article?  

One group I see that could be threatened by LN is the industrial mining cartel.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████