Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:31:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How could I run a full node on Ubuntu?.  (Read 708 times)
gwen2006 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2015, 03:55:29 PM

I ´ve succesfully installed bincoind and bitcoin-cli. I´ve been using Electrum until now, and I´m still learning how to use these clients from command line but by the way it seems it goes fine. Having my computer always on I came up with the idea of having a full node running, it would be no problem for me and helpful for the bitcoin network as I ´ve been reading: but that´s the point: I got several questions about it.

One first thing: I learned how to compile and use these clients from an O´reillys book. At some point it tells me to run bitcoind in the background by typing: bitcoind -daemon, I do so and block chain begins to download: by typing getinfo  I can see how many blocks are known to my client on the line “blocks”… that´s ok for me. But what happens at the end?. I don´t see that bitcoind reports me anything once I see by typing getinfo that blockchain is already on my computer. So, as a user, why I need to download this large file?. I´ve been reading that having the blockchain on your pc allows you to make transactions in a safer manner, what should I do next?. What kind of things should I type or configure?. Or what kind of special things can I do having a copy of blockchain with these programs?.  Should I install bitcoinj or bit coin server?. How can I run a full node?.

Hope I don´t bother you with so many questions, and thanks in advance to those who could help me with this. Merry Cristmas and best regards.   Wink
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2015, 04:04:32 PM

By running bitcoind or bitcoin-qt you are running a full node. A full node means that it will fully validate every single block and transaction and block it receives before relaying then to its peers. In order to fully validate everything, it needs the entire blockchain since everything is chained together and to previous history. You can use bitcoin-cli to connect to bitcoind to operate the wallet from the command line or you can use bitcoin-qt to use the wallet from a gui. Either way you are running a full node.

gwen2006 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 08:58:46 PM

Thanks for answer it helped me a lot. !
oldbute

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 12:28:57 AM

You may want to open or forward port 8333 to get more connections to your node.  https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#network-configuration

Only 8 connections are allowed outbound, you can see number of connections from bitcoin-cli getinfo.  To see who is connected can use bitcoin-cli getpeerinfo

See here for all the RPC commands https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-reference#bitcoin-core-apis You can get information about connected peers, see mining information, all you can handle bro
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: