Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:22:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many developers are working on bitcoin vs alt coins?  (Read 1195 times)
bhodson (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 01:59:13 PM

Is there any way to track this? Anyone have any ideas?
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 02:48:14 PM

Well it's easy as going into the official webpage and comparing the list of developers there vs other alts. Im pretty sure Bitcoin has the most developers involved on any coin.

https://bitcoin.org/en/development
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 04:25:17 PM

Bitcoin probably has more developers than any one altcoin. However, there are probably more altcoin developers than there are Bitcoin developers. There are literally thousands of altcoins, and each one needs a developer. Some (many) share the same developers, but there are still probably a lot more than Bitcoin.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6158

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 04:28:59 PM

I disagree with those who say that Bitcoin developers are more then "one" altcoin developers , this list is not updated for sure https://bitcoin.org/en/development since Gavin is there and we all know that he left , and those are people who contributed so it can be over the years and they are not actual developers , and as far as I know , there is only five people or something on the Core team ? If it's the case then Stellar for example have more then that .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 04:38:43 PM

I disagree with those who say that Bitcoin developers are more then "one" altcoin developers , this list is not updated for sure https://bitcoin.org/en/development since Gavin is there and we all know that he left , and those are people who contributed so it can be over the years and they are not actual developers , and as far as I know , there is only five people or something on the Core team ? If it's the case then Stellar for example have more then that .
The Core developers have 7 people, people with commit access. And there are many people who should be considered core devs because they contribute many commits and to many discussions on the github, irc, and mailing list.

Gavin has not left core development. He still has commit access, he still contributes to github, irc, and mailing list discussions. I would not say that Gavin has left development.

Also, that list is up to date. IIRC it fetches from github the number of contributions each person has made to Bitcoin, and Gavin has most certainly made contributions. He should still be on that list, just like everyone else who has contributed.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 04:47:27 PM

The amount of people developing altcoins can be seen on the announcement section of the Altcoins subforum... They are really many Cheesy

But there are also altcoin developing services that make "copycoins" for a fee... Wink Still, they're too many Cheesy
Kellor

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2015, 10:47:09 PM

Bitcoin has more developers than other altcoins. But the number developers of all the altcoin added up is higher than that of bitcoin.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 12:11:32 AM

Bitcoin probably has more developers than any one altcoin. However, there are probably more altcoin developers than there are Bitcoin developers. There are literally thousands of altcoins, and each one needs a developer. Some (many) share the same developers, but there are still probably a lot more than Bitcoin.

nah. lets say out of 2000 alts.. 1500 are copy and paste jobs using a web service to do the coding for script kiddies to then throw around for pump and dumps..
i think there are less then 200 people coding alts, and they make multiple alts over the years.

as for bitcoin.. some of these altcoiners are also bitcoiners. and just concentrating on bitcoin there are many programmers. not just bitcoin-core, but multibit, electrum keepsafe, trezor, mining rig companies, payment gateways/exchanges. hobbiests, mobile wallet service providers. the list is endless.

but when we look at the alt community. its mostly script kiddies copying scripts and rebranding.. nothing really innovative nothing that has real world useage/corporation use.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
yenxz

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 12:39:56 AM

You can compare the scale of spread between bitcoin and altcoin,as we know bitcoin is bigger than other altcoin,and the answer has been clear,bitcoin developer more than other altcoin.
Mr. Forum

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 03:28:34 PM

I think you can be able to just find them on a click of the mouse. What we need to do is being able to visit both the systems and try to identify the number of developers working on the systems. What I am so sure about is that the bitcoin platform has several number of developers. The reason is because it deal with currency and therefore has well developed and maintained security levels to curb any chances of hacking and cracking.
Ceizer54

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 03:39:03 PM

I believe we can't track all the developers working on different altcoins because practically there are many altcoins that exist today but we can get an estimate idea of developers of some reliable altcoins like Dash,litecoin,dogecoin etc. Obviously comparing bitcoin developers with any one altcoin then bitcoin has more developers as there are many projects that are based on bitcoin and accept only bitcoin but if we compared all the altcoin developers to single bitcoin developers then ofcource altcoin developers are more!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 04:02:12 PM

Bitcoin has more developers than other altcoins. But the number developers of all the altcoin added up is higher than that of bitcoin.

many alt share the same dev, that want to scam more, actually i can argue that there were only 1-5 dev scammer that were working on almost every shitcoin out there

minus only the notorious one, who were legit
mr angry

Activity: 298
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 06:31:58 PM

I think Ethereum had a massive dev team paid for by the IPO money. I counted 28 devs and one office assistant at it's ethdev team page, and there must be many more unpaid devs working on it. That number of devs is unlikely to last after the IPO money runs out, and the premine is sold off. However, at the peak of the Ethereum dev numbers it might have equaled the number of Bitcoin devs.

http://ethdev.com/#team
defaultking

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 06:40:29 PM

Agreed. At this point I think the more important stay is developers working on third party or bitcoin support. Such as more secure wallets, exchanges, etc. Bitcoin at this point can "steal" what makes other altcoins popular and tie it in if they feel it's important enough.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 07:17:04 PM

I think Ethereum had a massive dev team paid for by the IPO money. I counted 28 devs and one office assistant at it's ethdev team page, and there must be many more unpaid devs working on it. That number of devs is unlikely to last after the IPO money runs out, and the premine is sold off. However, at the peak of the Ethereum dev numbers it might have equaled the number of Bitcoin devs.

http://ethdev.com/#team

alot of the big names of ethereum have already jumped ship and moved on..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BitcoinBud44

Activity: 63

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 07:46:09 PM

Yeah, I do have an idea.

Define developers.

Discuss the incentive to work on various projects.

Is it a problem?

What a shell thread, OP.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:02:46 PM

It is hard to say  in a case of alts.Lot of hype  coins  what are coming to the market are done by the same  devs.Just nicks are diffrent.Only one  purpose of that kind of alts is to steal btc from people pockets
It is even hard to say that creators of  that kind of alts are developers

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 08:12:05 PM

95% bitcoin. 5% all other coins combined.

sishendaoye

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:14:50 PM

The core team of bitcoin has less core developers if you compare with altcoins.
Main reason is the bitcoin foundation did spend too much on bs party's and salaries.

However the amount of third-party developers building on API's is way bigger for bitcoin. In terms of the future, there is only 1 coin that matters.. BITCOIN.
BirtRenaldsFan

Activity: 67

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 01:49:05 AM

I would believe there's ton of Bitcoin workers out there doing what they need to do.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: